1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. drezy

drezy Gold

I may be able to indeed.

I've convinced a previous redneck hater coworker that rednecks are the most recent "piton" of civilization's climb.

If you read enough history, rednecks are really not the most horrible backstop. Plus they alway make moonshine!

Lahelada likes this.
  2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

You are absolutely right. When I was sweet sixteen I had plans on becoming one. Must have been nostalgia talking. Alas, that good fortune never came my way.
    Let's agree then on the term jerry built! :thumbsup::whistle:;)

drezy likes this.
  3. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I am in Argentina , so we are just heading into fall. Hopefully no ice needed for a while.
    We had some good creations here from really engineered ones with coolers/heaters etc and others repurposed garbage bins or cow water troughs. You fit in it,it is cold enough and it does not leak = success!

drezy likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

Everyone here my age or younger thinks it's "jury rigged". I don't bother with the history lesson...

All German made goods I've bought are rock solid perfect quality. One test and metrology company I worked for had a German assembly facility. I swear that I could take one of our measurement units, throw it out a 6 story window, kick it across a soccer field, and it would still be more accurate than our competitors units. Even not when necessary the products made there were so physically sturdy they always felt as if they were completely carved out of one piece of metal. Every new product offering was like Christmas when I opened the shipment for the first time.

Corey Nelson and Lahelada like this.
  5. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I am a sailor, so jury rigging is part of the syllabus! I just liked the double entendre coming from me. ;)

Yes, in the past it was like this but quality in general goods has suffered as well. Precision or high end consumer equipment is still good though.

drezy likes this.
  6. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

I'm still trying to imagine myself actually clipping into a redneck placed piton....

drezy likes this.
  7. drezy

drezy Gold

It's the one that looks like a Bud Light tab. Careful though, don't get too distracted by all the daisy duke wearing ladies when they hop out of their 4x4s. They are pretty much a country version of Odysseus and the Sirens except instead of getting dashed on the rocks the will lure you into alimony payments, worse credit, and restraining orders unless we tie you to the mast...

Corey Nelson and recoen like this.
  8. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

If I had any definition as to what a high dopamine creative analogy post might be I think you just blew it out of the water haha

9. I looked up jury rigged and it is thought it comes from jury mast, meaning temporary. So that would be the correct termfor a temp fix till returning to port or later time.

I think this is different than jerry-rigged, or any other racially derogatory name which implies inferiority with prejudice.

It seems that redneck engineering can be used both respectfully to imply intelligent use of limited resources or in a derogatory way to imply inferiority. Rednecks are always gonna make fun of lawyers and visa versa. As a redneck, I see it as being able to do stuff vs being able to hire people to do everything for you.

An alternative Ive read about( either alan savory or allan nation i think) and try to use is the New Zealand method.
    When you have a problem, you first ask how can I solve this problem for free?if nothing pops up, then how can i solve it cheaply? If still you have no solution, ask is this really a problem i cant live with or not even a problem at all. In my life it had become easier to solve problems with my wallet. A credit card is like a gun. If you dont leave it in your pocket for an absolute emergency, youll prolly regret it. Rent a piece of heavy equipment to avoid labor, buy a tool when i could get by, hire someone to d o something i can do myself, purchase replacement instead of repair ect. This attitude also helps because when others have problems, they also think MY wallet is the solution. I am willing to roll upmy sleeves and help someone who is trying themselves. Usually this involves an explanation of why i dont solve problems with money and just showing them how quickley we can do shit ourselves. If money was the only solution this person was interested in, adios mf!

Respect to your cold tub! Lahelada

Lahelada likes this.
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

Thank you thank you. I'll be here all week, folks.

I must add that rednecks, by an large, seem very self aware and even joke about themselves. Makes me wonder if not taking ones self too seriously is a perfect antidote to the cynical self loathing I've seen in some "higher echelon" types.

Corey Nelson likes this.
  11. Bryan Anderson

Bryan Anderson Bakayaker

Yeah I don't think self loathing is right brain friendly. It just occurred to me that having a sense of humor about yourself is probably form of self confidence, but most likely a fine line between that and insecurity.

12. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Only my second day doing CT 41st latitude Pacific Ocean. My first day yesterday about 15 minutes, today 25 minutes. Once my hands' dexterity began reducing I got out although I felt great and wanted to stay in longer. My toe dexterity wasn't an issue since I was constantly fighting the waves by digging in the sand. I want to caution anyone doing this in Pacific Northwest should be careful of sneaker waves, couple times they took me out further than I wanted. This morning didn't think I was gonna go out since it's sunny but decided I could wear my straw African hat in the ocean to block the sun, worked perfectly and even prevented the waves from splashing my face as well. I dried off immediately then got in the car and turned the heat on full blast for about 15 minutes. I was shivering involuntarily for about 12 minutes, I'm sure once I become more cold adapted I can apply meditative breathing to calm the shivers.

Beside feeling the best I've felt in maybe a decade I noticed on the drive back my vision reverted back close to 20/20! I had the top lasik done in 2008, following decade ignorantly ruined my eyes with blue to about 20/30 for the past few years.

I'm really dreading going to NYC later this week because there's no way a cold shower can match the Pacific.

Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  13. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Third day CT Pacific Ocean. Sunny and no geoengineering overhead. Six foot waves crashed over me half the time, other half I swam the waves before they broke. Asked someone the time when I jumped out thinking I was in for just 30 minutes, I was in for a full hour.

My four year caffeine habit of several cups green tea, gone. Depression, gone. Cold extremities at night or when tired, gone. Compromised vision, gone.

Deep appreciation for all life on par with Amazonian shamanic experience 100%, in fact I find it more effective.

Nature the real medicine.

Too much beauty.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Phosphene likes this.
  14. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Looks like sunrise/sunset and cloudy days will be my only option for CT now. Pretty bad sunburn on my upper back, didn't even think to check first whether UVC penetrates seawater and of course it does. Was getting a good 5 microwatts/cm^2 btwn 246 and 262nm, which could be as high as 55 microwatts for whole UVC spectrum. And convert for human size that's anywhere from 50 to 550 milliwatts (not microwatts) per meter squared. Learned the hard way again. More than breaking up my skin DNA/RNA, who knows what the quantum topology effects are.

I do have a UV blocking umbrella I could take to do CT during a sunny day, assuming the waves don't destroy it, then the public will think I'm certifiable. Little do they know, what comedy reality is.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  15. Dani

Dani New Member

What's the temperature of the water at 41 latitude N?

16. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I haven't taken a thermometer but online says around 52 deg. I was in for an hour yesterday at sunset and would've stayed longer but was getting dark quickly. My post-CT shivering wasn't as intense, still strong, only lasted about 10 minutes. First time since I started CT I ate too much couple hours before so couple hours after CT I vomited a small amount. Felt fine since only slept five hours last night, ran a bunch of errands, cut down half a decent size tree with a telescoping chainsaw in the backyard which is harder than it sounds and looking forward to another sunset dip in four hours. Believe I'm cold adapting well, my mother's mother ate shit on a shingle most her life and lived close to 90.

I've had a bit of heartburn today which is different.

17. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

I wish I could go for a swim in the ocean for my CT.

For now I just have a cold shower with an outside tap in the sunrise.

18. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Did my first shower CT today for an hour. Glad I installed the Big Berkey shower filter first. My waterfall shower head doesn't tilt much so had to lean my head back a bit for the hour which isn't an ideal position. Only felt like 30 minutes again.

Solidsilverteeth likes this.
  19. Solidsilverteeth

Solidsilverteeth New Member

An hour well done.

I don't have that much time, my entire morni routine involves doing upto 100 burpies and then laying down on the earth looking at the sunrise, then outside cold water shower while looking at the sun rising. It's all done in less than 39mins then I have to go to work.

It's no point me getting up earlier because the sun hasn't risen yet, but sunrise is getting earlier every day towards summer,Mao will aim for longer cold water showers

20. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Yesterday I had my longest cold bath to date ... 20´30´´ at 11 Celsius/ 52 Farenheit (with a compression T-shirt). For many here it will not me much, but for me it´s pretty impressive, I´m still afraid of cold, admitedly. I hope putting here my times makes my competitive ego get my ass more in the cold. Take care :)