1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. You may have to lower your time and slowly build your way up. Taking a hot shower after is not optimal. Your actually going to make the shivering worse by trying to warm your skin temp too quickly with clothes or hot showers. Try sitting in the sun or move around naked to air dry I like to combine both with body weight excercises or brisk walking.
    drezy likes this.
  2. Dennis Durost

Dennis Durost New Member

Would like some clarification regarding certain aspects of the CT protocol

1. Why is a compression shirt necessary? What roll does it play?
    2. Why do you have to have a fat containing meal before CT?
    3. What is the purpose of drinking ice cold water before CT?
    4. Is it necessary to submerge in a tub or pool when you only need spot treatment around your abdomen?
  3. drezy

drezy Gold

1.) From https://www.jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-easy-start-guide/ : It's part of a slow cold adaption. Some people are in conditions that make them so un-adapted to cold that they get cold urticaria.

2.) I'll leave this to the pros since I regularly eat fatty meals and stopped thinking about it.

3.) When you get out of a CT bath you will have to urinate enough that race horses within earshot will start look for the gates. Also I suspect it's part of prepping your vagus nerve (like splashing the face with cold water). I couldn't come up with any good horse imagery on that one. Sorry.

4.) cautionary answer:
    With all due respect beware the following statement "only need spot treatment around your abdomen". While that may be true, don't limit yourself before trying this out. The fat cells in your abdomen weren't sitting around in an otherwise optimized body and then decided they and they alone were just going to go wild without receiving any signaling.
    I very much recommend building up to full CT to see if your N=1 receives any serendipitous (at least relative to your current perspective) benefits. I sure did. Like you I went in targeting just weight loss. I came out with perfect sleep, higher libido, knees that don't pop, better cognition, and increased sense of drive to name a few. All of that is secondary to the best benefit for me so far. My wife, long time insomnia suffer, now sleeps great when she keeps up with CT. Hell, it even gives me a marital shield. When she complains about sleep and is crabby I just drop the "When was your last CT?" bomb and it puts and end to it(at least me having to experience much) . That really was a game changer in my household. I can't tell you if just an abdomen pack would have had the same effects but will share my crude mental model.

Take a smartphone and put it into a 120 degree oven for 20 minutes. It won't be so "smart" anymore. Could a small icepack applied to just the right spot while it's in the oven make it work better? Yes. But whoever owned the smartphone would insist that I first take it out of the environment that is effecting it and then put it in a fridge or cool spot so it would regain it's functioning sooner. That, in a nutshell, is a significant part of the advice given here.

I think that if it weren't for the discomfort (due to non-cold adaption) or hassle of possibly having to buy ice if you live in a warm climate CT would be a very easy sell. The adaption came over time for us (Mom, dad, and son). The hassle of getting ice became a little bit of an obstruction that I've since worked around.
    Brent Patrick and caroline like this.
  4. Brent Patrick

Brent Patrick New Member

Glad winter has arrived in Sydney Australia, I have been doing CT 6am each morning at around 9c and 8pm each night at average 11c ,,observations so far sleep has become deeper energy levels have increased libido threw the roof
    skin has become more "youthful" friends have commented on this fairly often. But most of all I have noticed interactions with other people and individuals I normally wouldn't talk to have been very positive in nature (Magnetic Attraction :)) and problem solving skills have increased from a new awareness .
    Each CT presents itself with different challenges those are which are more related to mental state and overcoming the lead up to throwing oneself into a very cold situation ,but once Monkey Brain is diffused the overwhelming feeling of
    accomplishment is very satisfying. I have used my CT experience so far as a metaphor for other areas of my life. Thanks Dr kruse
    drezy and Sue-UK like this.
  5. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

This morning my husband and I tried to get into a cold bath (not at the same time). I won't lie, it was fucking killer. I think we'll go back to face dunking to build up!
  6. Brent Patrick

Brent Patrick New Member

Hi ScottishEmma yes go with your intuition and go with the face dunks make sure you increase your diet with saturated fat I use mainly butter and Ghee in my diet I have reduced Carbs due to it being winter here in Australia
    and increase your seafood for DHA if you haven't already done so to help with brown fat activation

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-11-omega-fatty-acids-brown-adipose.html
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9689148

I guess the other area of success with CT is actually forming a HABIT a routine of doing it, with being part of your day.

If I haven't had breakfast and do early morning CT,I will incorporate WIM HOF method of breathing to generate inner heat and this has been effective for me.
    I also wear a beanie and diving gloves and ankle boots as my feet were really feeling the cold.:D:D
    caroline, ScottishEmma and drezy like this.
  7. Coldsnow

Coldsnow New Member

just got a new Kenmore ice chest and filling it with ozonated water - wow
    drezy likes this.
  8. IMG_0960.JPG
    Here we go!
    drezy likes this.
  9. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

I jacked up my commitment to CT lately and was thinking during my last session; could it be that warm/hot showers in the morning are a huge circadian mismatch?
    Where outside of the tropics is there warm water available in nature in the morning? Definitely not at my latitude, not even at the height of summer.
    Brent Patrick likes this.
  10. Anton Chigur

Anton Chigur New Member

I started CT yesterday after 5 month break and seems that body is still adapted as 40mins in 10 degrees went good with minimum shivering. The funny thing is that when you start doing CT and you are sitting at the office under artificial lights all day, the mind and body are craving ice bath