1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How was your CT today?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by differentstory, Mar 28, 2012.

1. shah78

shah78 Gold

I put my green/yellow CT TUB ON WHEELS. For four years I was stuck in one small/but wonderful spot on my lanai. Now I have a more spacious pool deck. So I went to Lowes and got a $20 "milwaukee brand" furniture dolly. Tub and water weight 400LBS or so. Pretty easy to move on the bricks. I keep thinking I'm moving ICBM'S under the mountains of Colorado. :)

2. Butters

Butters New Member

20min today in the tub after workout. Had a blacklight bulb on in the room and a hat with red led light shining in my face.

3. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I've been ct'ing in my pool daily for the last month. Temp of the water averages 45 degrees F. I've worked up to 35 minutes, submerged to a few inches below my shoulders. Arms and hands submerged as well. Loving it! Question: I expect the pool temp to be about 35 to 38 degrees tomorrow morning due to a spring cold snap...how long should I stay in the water? Does 10-15 minutes sound good? Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

4. kathylu

kathylu Gold

The temp was 40 degrees, didn't go down as much as I thought it would. So, I shortened my session to 20 minutes. Still felt great afterward!

Optimalbound likes this.
  5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Something new...I'm sore all over! Feels like doms (delayed onset muscle soreness). Guess I had forgotten this from when I was regularly doing CT before. It's been about a year since I've done cold baths. Started again a month ago. Sleep is great, just wish this "gee, I'd like to take an Advil" feeling would go away! Eating a high fat seafood meal before CT seems to help. Any other suggestions?

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Do you drink cold water before C/T?

7. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Not directly before...should I be? I get up, look at the sky, drink about 20 oz of iced RO lemon water, eat breakfast (usually seafood), have coffee (bulletproof or optimal) and then do my CT session. I like to CT early, gets it out of the way of the rest of my day.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Since CT increases alpha MSH, you are allowing the brain to control everything at the time. And since you are CTing early, that would mean your steroid hormones (which are created after the sunrise cortisol peak and before UV light starts) are being optimized. I think Jack mentioned that early morning is the best time for CT. Of course, CT later on would be awesome for dopamine and all the other solar hormones. And CT at night would be fabulous for leptin release/reception and melatonin creation from serotonin...

Great to hear from you, Kathylu!

Brent Patrick and cantweight like this.
  9. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Thanks! I'd like to say "I'm baaack....", but time is still short for me. I had a total crap load of life events fall on me. All I've been able to do is look in occasionally and try to follow Jack's suggestions. I'm woefully behind on the blogs though.

My hormones feel better already!

caroline likes this.
  10. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Ok, now this sucks! I have been pretty much enjoying CT in my pool and we still have night time temps in the 30's so the pool temp has been about 40-46 degrees most days. I am submerging to right below my clavicles, so I'm getting most of my body in the water. The problem is I am developing chilblains on my toes! My core temp actually rises a degree or two during my 35 minute sessions, but my toes do feel uncomfortable. Not painful, just uncomfortable in the cold water. I guess I'll try wearing socks. I have a pair of diving booties, but I have moved twice in the last 18 months...long story, but I can't find them. Do you think socks will be enough protection?

Rubbing coconut oil on my tootsies, hoping it's anti-inflammatory effect will help! Bother. Just don't want any excuse to stop CT.

caroline likes this.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Get sun on them.........that is the best anti inflammatory....and cool in between the sun.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

what about wool sox?

13. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Wool socks did the trick! My toes are recovering nicely. Kinda stupid to not listen to my body. My toes were hurting and I just ignored it.

14. PeVe

PeVe New Member

Got down to 20 min in 12°C cold water. My feet really got numb in the transition time and took ages (felt) to warm up again. So I got Neoprene socks and now it's just great! Sometimes I start shivering in the tub, but afterwards hell breaks loose with shivering. Takes then about half an hour - an hour and I'm fine again. Today going outside in the sun and being in the hot wintergarden (about 30 degrees) just made the shivering go fast.

Would intentionally warming up after CT diminish its effects?

And another question: I read that the temperature of the water should be between 50-55°F so with 12°C I come close to the 55°F. Next step would be additional icepacks added to the chest. Would the additional ice cool the water down further to a undesireable temp? I measured the water temperature after the 20 min and it was 15°, so the tub temperature should be quite constant?

15. Afternoon: Ocean, 45min @ 13 degC.
    Evening: Cold tub, 70min @ 12 degC.

16. Ocean, 50min @ 12 degC (54 F). Sunshine. No wind. Minor shivering the last five minutes.

17. Indoors cold tub, 65 min @ 11-12 C.
    (too windy for ocean CT)

fitness@home likes this.
  18. Ocean swim, 45min @ 12 degC (54 F). Sunshine. Windy.

Inger likes this.
  19. Inger

Inger Silver

you have started some serious CT Optimalbound ;) :) :) nice :)

20. Yup. Long overdue.
    Today was overcast, rainy and really quite miserable. Not at all tempting for CT, so I had to use my old "baby steps" routine: :ninja:

"Gee, today looks far too cold and miserable for CT, but I might as well go to the beach and have a look".
    Drives to the beach and has a look.

"Ouch, that ocean really looks much too cold for me. And there's no sun, and that rain is really cold and pouring down. But now that I'm here, I might as well put my swimming trunks on".
    Puts swimming trunks on.

"That sea still looks way too cold. But what did a wise man once tell me? 'When in doubt, CT.' Hmmm. Ah well, now that I'm here, I might as well wade along the beach for a few meters, at least."
    Goes to the water and wades for a bit.

"That's really cold. But now that I'm here, I might as well try getting the water up to my thighs."
    Walks a bit further out. And a bit further out.

"Well, both the sea and the rain feels really cold, but now that I have water up to my hips, I might as well try submerging up to my sternum."
    Walks a bit further out.

"Well, now that I have water up to my chest, I might as well try submerging up to my neck."
    Walks a bit further out.

"Well, now that I have water up to my neck, I might as well swim a little bit."
    Swims a little bit.

"Hmmm. That wasn't so bad, actually. Well, now that I'm here, I might as well swim back and forth for a while."
    Swims back and forth for 30 minutes.

:cool:

At about the 25 minute mark, I activated my thermometer, and was a bit surprised to read 7 degrees C (45'F). Lower than I expected, although I did notice it in my fingers and toes towards the end. Being alone on the beach, I chose to end my swim after 30 minutes to be on the safe side.

Last edited: May 18, 2016