1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How to replace wireless cable modem with wired cable modem

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by shilohman, Apr 2, 2013.

1. shilohman

shilohman New Member

The only cable modem that you can get from the cable company where I live (time warner) is a WiFi modem.
    What I was:
    1) Go on Amazon and search for 'cable modem' you will find several. Get name and model numbers of several. You only want
    one that has DOCSIS 3.0. You will also want to buy one that has several ethernet ports, otherwise if the one you buy has
    only one ethernet port, then you will have to buy in addition a wired ethernet switch. Also, make sure it supports is 1 Gig
    speed (which all should but make sure). You will also need some ethernet cables for each printer/computer/laptop you will
    hook up, buy CAT-6 cables.
    2) Call your cable tech support and ask them if they support your first choice modem. If not, then give them you second
    choice.
    3) Buy the cable modem and when you get it, disconnect the old modem and plug your new one in.
    4) Call your cable tech support and tell the make and model of the modem you have. They will configure
    everything in the modem for you from their end.
    5) Turn the old modem into your cable company and you will get your rental fee knocked off of your monthly
    bill.

An added bonus that you may get, depending on how your cable provider does it, is that you may get an instant upgrade in speed at no extra cost.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I've always just bought a hardline cable modum - then bought a wireless router - which was retired about a month ago. we now have a multiple hard line router and and I'm looking at options for running drops around the entire house.... wondering if we could do it ourselves - or if I'd have to have a professional come in and drop all the lines...

I think I've spent in total - maybe $45 getting everything hardlined... still have to teach dh how to bring the internet up on his system via the hard line LAN...

3. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

I was watching this video about why wi-fi should not be in schools:
    http://youtu.be/6v75sKAUFdc?t=21m56s

The video is done by Dr. Magda Havas. She's a university professor and is an anti-EMF expert here in Canada. In the above link, the video starts at 21:56 so you can see what she gives as wired alternatives. (The whole video is excellent, though, so you might want to watch from the start as well).

She suggests using "Powerline Adapters". These allow you to use your existing electrical wiring to extend your wired network. Here's the D-Link version, for example:
    http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/connect/powerline

I had never heard of this and I wonder if it might be a good solution. Dr. Havas is on board with mitigating EMF and she appears to takes a scientific approach. I find it hard to believe she would recommend this if it wasn't a decent way to go.

Has anyone tried this?

BrunoB likes this.
  4. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Haven't tried it, but I have installed a security system in my mom's house which works on the house wiring. It works, but it has problems, like false alarms. The one downside to using this for internet access is you are limited to the speed that it works with. Also, from what I understand this would create an electromagnetic field on the house wiring which would emit EMF from the house wiring, but compared to the EMF emitted by wireless routers it would be a great lesser of two evils.

5. Hope

Hope Gold

Great stuff!! I am hoping to do this soon too.....DH is NOT happy......

Thanks for sharing!

6. so after 7 to 8 years, can anybody actually recommend using this instead of wifi?

and how great of a health-difference is there between hard-wiring the ethernet in your walls and using powerline adapters?

if it does make a difference: i'm from germany, i dont wether the shielding of the wires differs in europe from what they use in the US.

thanks everyone.