1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How to recover from anorexia?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Hemming, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Andy2424

Andy2424 New Member

I had my TSH tested back about 3 or 4 months ago and it was 4.7 but they said it was fine because it didn't fall out of the range which is 5.0. I know that those ranges were changed though and the upper range is 3.0 on the new scale and that's why I moved to a new doctor and have had blood drawn just waiting on results now to see. Would a poor thyroid function cause hunger? I'm pretty sure Dr.K said he thinks this is a leptin issue but I'm totally unsure? I'm just so frustrated with this constant hunger and weight gain. Do you think the leptin reset would help with the hunger? Thanks for the reply again MeghanK, I need all the help I can get.

2. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Andy, you should really start doing CT, it does blunt hunger. I did a 15-20min ocean swim today after work even though I felt quite tired. But afterwards I felt so much better and energised.

3. Andy2424

Andy2424 New Member

I'm going to start doing it tomorrow. When do you think is the best time to do it? Your lucky you live close to the ocean, I'd say a swim in the ocean is so refreshing!

4. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I do it whenever I have time for it. Look at the CT protocol for more concrete tips.

5. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I've done some more and longer ocean swims and I feel so much better overall now. I've noticed that I can stay in the water for longer, I don't feel cold when I get out of the water and have no shivering afterwards. Additionally, the cold showers doesn't feel that cold anymore and my body stays warm during them and my heart rate is more or less unaffected.

Besides these effects, my mood is much better and I feel better in general. I'm not at all cured but I really think that CT has helped me with the first steps of recovery.

I just wanted to chime in with this in case someone is in the same situation.

Jack, thank you for writing all the blogs. I'm slowly getting through them but everything makes a lot more sense now and I can see how almost all of my initial questions are answered in the blog somewhere. As you also write, I take my newfound warmth as a sign that my body is now in a better (not optimal) homeostasis.

6. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Jack,

I was thinking of picking of some CoQ10 and was thinking if it would make sense to get some D-ribose while I'm at it? I know you don't mention it specifically on your top recommendations but I was thinking that in my situation with chronic fatigue that it might be useful.

7. MeghanK

MeghanK New Member

Is CoQ10 and D-Ribose good for anorexics? Is the body able to absorb it or is it a waste of money until you are at a better weight?

8. Hemming

Hemming New Member

That's a very good point - I'm currently at 51.5kg. Maybe there are other supplements which would be more beneficial now in addition to the multivitamin/mineral and zinc I take.

9. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Jack, I have a couple of questions for you which I really hope you have time to answer.

1) The last week I've felt more hungry than usual - is that a good or bad sign in my situation?

2) I eat according to the Epi Paleo diet and have no cravings for bread, candy, ice cream whatever. As you have written in your blog I've noticed that carbs from vegetables doesn't really satisfy me whereas I rather want protein and especially fat. I know you don't think protein is harmful if the body is running optimally but should I worry about eating too much protein? I really like coconut products, butter and olive oil - should I just eat more of those as my hunger might be because I'm not eating enough fat?

I eat three meals each day with no snacking and have them at regular times with breakfast within 30min of waking up and dinner some hours before going to sleep. I sleep 8-9 hours each night easily. I take cold showers each day and swim in the ocean (water temp. 61-67F) 2 times each week for 15-20min.
    I realise that some of these question might be a bit 'immature' but right now I'm just trying to get some guidance on what to do. Some of my insecurity about this might also be due to a state of confusion due to my low weight but I find it very difficult to convince myself that I need to gain weight.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Eat the protein and fat........and no protein wont kill you.....plus it helps increase carnosine which is big for those with Eating disorders like Anorexia, bulemia, and T2D. the issue is you need a lot of carnosine to offset the glycation in your inner mitochondrial membrane that is slowing down your current. If your hunger is returning that is an excellent prognostic sign that your hypothalamus can rewire and you did not fry your hypocretin neurons.......

11. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Thanks a lot for the concise answer Jack! I'm happy to hear that protein is actually more beneficial for me as it's something I've been fearing for a while.

I'm also happy that my increased hunger is a sign of recovery and that I should just respond to it by eating more protein and fat. My biggest problem now will be actually responding to that hunger without feeling guilty - which is why is so good to get that information from you to get some comfort in what I'm doing is 'the right thing'. As a follow-up question - could my continued chronic fatigue be because I'm still not eating enough in general?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

could be do to a lot......but recoveries are based on stochastic math........and therefore nothing in recovery is linear, except your belief that recoveries are in fact linear.

13. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Thanks Jack. Ironically, I've actually studied stochastic math so I should be able to understand it except that this mental state makes you confused about even the most simple things.

Reading more and more of your blog I see that almost all the answers are there - it's just about getting to them.