1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How to recover from anorexia?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Hemming, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I'm a 26y old male, 5'9''. I've been having anorexia for around one year and lost weight from 143lbs to 109lbs at my lowest, I'm now at 116lbs. I ran >70k/week, biked 40k/week and did some weight exercises in a large part of that period and then burned out. At the moment I bike 45min each day to and from work and do some body weight exercises and free weight exercises 3-5 times/week.

I just had some labs done and almost all of it is in the normal range. My zinc and red blood platelets are too low and my amylase is too high, my TSH is 1.34 (I know that doesn't say much alone) it has fallen from above 2 since my last test. In December I had the following tests (SI units)
    LDL 3.4
    HDL 1.62
    Tri 0.82
    CRP <0.2 (it doesn't say HS)

I'm experiencing all the symptoms of low cortisol. Generally I'm very fatigued, my legs feel like I've ran a marathon, I'm unable to concentrate, indecisive and very confused about almost everything.

I've been eating paleo for eight months but didn't learn about this site until a couple of weeks ago. I eat a ketogenic diet but have a fear of protein (besides food in general) as I'm scared of the side effects of eating too much protein (even though none of blood samples show any indications of this). Recently I've also become afraid of fat and try to restrict that too - I'm contemplating that that might have something to do with low energy level too as I'm simply not eating enough. But when I try to eat more fat I get scared of my lipids and when I try to eat more carbs I get scared of all the adverse effects from that.

Basically my question is how would it be best to recover and get my former energy, body and strength back? Any concrete advice on macro ratios would be greatly appreciated. The food is self explanatory but how should I balance carbs, protein and fat? Should I just go all out on eating as much as possible for the three big meals, should I follow the BAB protocol? How many calories should i eat?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I remember a few anorexic and bulimic people were successful with BAB. You don't count calories on BAB. You eat low carb, high protein and high fat until you have no food cravings.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

with anorexia you must go high fat moderate protein and moderate carb slowly and steadily........and things will usually come back in your hypothalamus. You must use the diet and sun light to re signal the correct signal to the brain for it to rewire. Anorexia is a forced change to the neural wiring of the hypothalamus that must be re done using neuroplasticity. The best way to monitor recovery is your hormone panel........and monitoring your cravings......we want you to re gain them and this is a function of NPY and dopamine.........it just takes time and you "want to"

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

How big is your "WANT TO" ? Do you have a passionate desire to accomplish something? There are many ways to get to your goal but you will never get there without the "will". "Will" directs your passion and is the faculty by which you decides upon and initiates action. A person with a big "WANT TO" don't read history to get encouraged, there are so driven that they make history. A person with a big "WANT TO" will
    use failures as stepping stones and rejections fall off like water on a duck's back. People with a big "WANT TO" have seen the end result already and will never be satisfied unless the find a way to reach their vision. These men and women are relentless and unstoppable because their vision consumes them. People with a big "WANT TO" are not waiting to be validated , pampered, patted on the back. They are self motivated and fearless to stand alone . They will take life by its horn and aren't afraid to walk the road alone because that's the right thing to do. Today consider the power of your "will" to succeed in any endeavor, because you can climb any mountain and overcome any ceiling if you have a "Big Want to".

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

What dr Kruse posted is really discussion stopper.
    Any thing else is really small details.
    We really can discuss (small details) only
    after you come back and declare that you got your "WANT TO" in the right place.

As far as I know, dr Kruse do not have Rx for "WANT TO", you on your own either have it or not.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

All this………can be explained from understand how dopamine fits into epigentics……..some say its complicated…………Well, I value my life so I will love chaos and complexity. Optimal dopamine balace allows for the proper choices and ultimate survival for humans. This truth is hard wired into our central nervous system. Bad choices that limit our survival are also born of lowering our brain dopamine levels. Never forget……….when we know better we do better period end of report. Dopamine is how we chose and make choice correctly for wellness.

In QB 9 I showed you precisely what CT is at its core for survival........cold increases Oxygen tension in tissues of all land based and marine based mammals.......the more o2 in your tissues the more efficient your mitochondria work. This is precisely what HBO does artificially. Cold does it naturally. People with anorexia have lived their life prior to getting the disease doing a ton of things wrong........all of which act to lower dopamine and this caused them to re wire their hypothalamus ot perceive the environment in an altered reality fashion.........the goal now is not to worry about how they see the world.......it is to force their brains to see the world as it really appears with respect to sun water and food and re train their inner mitochondrial membrane to signal correctly the epigenetic environment they really live in.......not the one they perceived as the disease gained control of their neuroplastic abilities.......

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

"want to" is a function of dopamine levels and not someone will power; and dopamine levels are proxy for how well you use the correct signals of the photoelectric effect........anorexia and obesity at their core are the same disease, but with different environmental signals being sent to the hypothalamus leading to two sets of reality............what we "think" is two separate conditions........they are not. They are one and the same. If you listen to this months webinar.........I discuss how this effect happens in vision too.........and I use an example of a GSW to prove it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  9. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Thank you for sharing that!

Thanks dr. Kruse for all of your replies. I have a couple of questions. Is moderate protein around 2g/kg and carbs around 1g/kg? Feeling hungry again would actually be a sign that my brain is starting to function normally?

That's my problem. I'm the kind of person who is very binary and will go all in on certain things. I don't mind trusting my own view even if I'm the one with it. I can assure that eating a paleo diet in Denmark is a constant struggle with everyone around me and everyone think I'm shit stupid. I never got anorexic because I wanted validation but because I wanted to show everyone that I could take training and diet to the extreme and because I wanted to the fastest.
    I've always been a loner going my own ways so it's quite strange asking everyone for advice now. I'm really just trying to get reassurance that I can eat again and that it's more beneficial for me.

Interesting to learn more about the dopamine. I hadn't thought of it as a malfunctioning dopamin level which makes me take the wrong decisions regarding how much to eat.
    I've started CT some weeks ago and I actually feel better doing two cold showers daily.

I very much agree that it's the same type of disease - I've been telling people that too.

I still have a few questions. Would my best choice be to follow your Adrenal Fatigue Rx? What about snacking between meals, would that add further damage? Is coffee something I should avoid (I'm not drinking it currently)? Should I emphasise certain fats?
    I'll get your book by the end of next week so maybe some of my questions are answered in that?

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

1. CT
    2. CT
    3. CT
    4. High fat leptin Rx
    5. Avoid fake blue light and embrace a cave.
    6. Slowly fix your mitochondria by reading the blog and webinar's tied to my replies in this thread

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

This one question I can answer. Dr. K never recommends snacking. Ever.

12. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

And the digestive system needs time to recover between meals, 4-5 hours.

13. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Thank you.

Any view on how much exercise I can do? I have anorexia athletica too.

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

none.........just walk or swim

15. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Thank you Dr. Kruse.

How many calories should I be consuming or shouldn't I care about that and eat as much as possible? I'm having constipation, losing my hair and continue to have bruises on my legs (the edema has improved) which I'm thinking could be signs that I'm not eating enough calories.

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Calories? You are not reading the blog. QB9, QB8 and EMF 2 tell you it is not about calories......it is about electrons and photons and always has been

17. bacon lover

bacon lover New Member

18. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Sorry, I haven't come to those yet. I'll get straight to them later today.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

20. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I saw that it's advised not to have coffee on the adrenal fatigue protocol. In the leptin protocol it seems less clear from the FAQ. I've stopped drinking coffee because I realised it suppressed my hunger - would it be best for me to not drink coffee at all or would a couple of cups of plain/black coffee not do any harm? I'm thinking that coffee after dinner is not advised as it would raise cortisol.

I went for another ocean swim today and I'm really surprised at how quickly I've adapted to them. The first couple of times I was like Bambi on ice when i got out of the water but today I wasn't even cold despite standing in the wind. Biking home I didn't feel cold either. The first time i swam in the ocean I was cold for two hours after despite being in my apartment (which isn't that warm though). Another great thing is how it freshens up my mind and helps my mood.

I can also feel how I can tolerate the cold in my apartment much better now. I think some of it is adaptation and some is following the leptin protocol.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013