1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How to fade scars/stretch marks?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Antonis, Jan 30, 2018.

1. drezy

drezy Gold

Move over Ontology now there's Jantology

JanSz likes this.
  2. Novah

Novah New Member

I'm not so sure about that.. some of the most beautiful older women with the best skin are Scandinavian women. Go check out a 60+ year old woman who lives in Sweden - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Both Asian women and Scandinavian women come from cultures that eat a lot of fish - whether that has something to do with it, or not, I have no idea, but something to consider.

3. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

There are of course exceptions to the rule-- that's a drawback in making general statements. I have no doubt there are many old Scandinavian women with relatively good skin. Good genes help, as does practicing best health maintenance life styles.

I probably will get into big trouble for saying this (let the critics begin), but moderate and limited solar facial exposure will yield much better aged skin vs a lifetime of overexposure to sun. That is what they make hats for.

4. Novah

Novah New Member

I'm genuinely curious by your "so sad" comment - do you think Caucasian men's skin ages better than women's?

5. ElectricUniverse

Men's attractiveness is held to a different standard than women generally. An older male with some rugged aging lines and distinguished gray hair is often seen as masculine, alpha, and desirable. Wrinkles, saggy skin, and gray hair on aging women is viewed with horror by many women (but other ladies can and will age with dignity and don't try to keep up appearances with tons of cosmetics).

That is why it can be sad for white women who don't age all that well. It may indeed be shallow (beauty can be only skin deep for some) but the female of species counts on physical attractiveness as a major asset. When eye candy-ness hits the wall with aging it can be distressing for some women who mainly relied on physical beauty. So sad.

Although now politically incorrect to mention, like it or not, white women are indeed the gold standard of female beauty (and no other ethnic group has such a wonderful, wide variety of hair, eye, and skin colors as Caucasian women). Women of color in other societies are often judged more desirable with higher social status the paler their skin is. Not my opinion-- that is just the way the world works.

So ladies treat your skin well while you are young and it will be healthy and attractive for much of your later lives.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  6. Novah

Novah New Member

Thanks for your honest opinion. I may not agree with it but appreciate it regardless.

I say this with respect, but it seems like you’re an older fella and with that comes beliefs of that generation.

Things have changed...a lot.

As women have worked, gained education, income and independence, that double standard of beauty has been shifting, especially for anyone under 50. And the media has had a massive influence in shifting perceptions as well.

What we’re seeing nowadays is men being held to a higher standard of beauty than ever before.

As for society allowing men to age easier than women, I think that’s debatable, especially nowadays.

Here’s a few snippets of info… I'll put my final thoughts at the end.

*****​

“Men are facing mounting pressure to sculpt perfect physiques and spend a fortune on grooming and clothes.

Can you imagine Cary Grant tinting his eyebrows? Or a young Sean Connery on the Paleo diet? Would Steve McQueen have agonised over his eye creams and anxiously measured his body fat index?

Probably not, but the timeless icons of male beauty and style are increasingly irrelevant to today’s modern men. The reflection staring back at us now is entirely different to the one that met our forefathers, because now more than ever men are in the throes of an aesthetic crisis. The notions of what is considered handsome and what is considered ‘masculine’ have shifted dramatically.

Grappling with society’s critical gaze and unrealistic body images has been a thorn in women’s sides for generations, so perhaps it was only natural that it would gradually permeate the male psyche.” https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fas...-been-so-preoccupied-by-their-appearance.html

*****​
    “Why should we care about male body image? A massive “95% of college age men are dissatisfied with their bodies on some level” (Daniel & Bridges 2013). That’s a huge portion of each campus’s population! We need to pay more attention to male body image and the struggles men may face when coming to terms with their imperfect bodies. Just as today’s society expects women to become thinner with statuesque features, American men, and men all across Western cultures, feel pressure to pump up their bodies and slim down, creating a combination of lean, bulky muscle.

However, unhealthy male body image extends beyond the average college man. According to a study, over 90% of men struggle in some way with body dissatisfaction and negative affect (negative opinions of self), or negative emotions and thoughts towards one’s body (Castonguay et al. 2014). Research also shows that body image disorders may be more severe in both gay and heterosexual teenage-through-young-adult (post-college) males than men in other age categories (Burlew & Shurts 2013).

As a culture we know very little about the prevalence of this issue in men and boys since body image is traditionally considered a ‘female problem’. The fact is, men can suffer just as much body dissatisfaction as women, but we may pay less attention to male body image because men are quieter about these problems: Men tend to seek treatment, counseling, or positive solutions less frequently, or they hold off on doing so out of shame and embarrassment (Burlew & Shurts 2013). https://www.bradley.edu/sites/bodyproject/male-body-image-m-vs-f/

*****​

“It has become increasingly prevalent in entertainment, media, and advertising in recent years to focus on the beauty of the "ideal" male form. Although studies have shown that women continue to report higher numbers in regards to negative body image, the percentage of men admitting to body dissatisfaction is, shockingly, growing at a much faster rate.” https://www.buzzfeed.com/eugeneyang/mens-standards-of-beauty-around-the-world

*****​

“Male body image and its associated disorders have become a silent epidemic that is paralysing men. It’s a matter of quality of life, and life and death.... And consider these statistics:

25 percent of all people with anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa are male.

40 percent of people with a binge eating disorder are male.

42 percent of males who have eating disorders identify as gay.

25 percent of Australian men in a healthy weight range believe they’re fat.

3 percent of Australian teenage boys use muscle-enhancing drugs like steroids.

Keep in mind the stigma surrounding these issues for men means cases are under-reported.

There’s still the misconception among men that body image issues and eating disorders only affect women.” https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2017/06/13/comment-we-need-talk-about-male-body-image

*****​

“Body image concerns more men than women, research finds. -- More men worry about their body shape and appearance – beer bellies, "man boobs" or going bald – than women do about how they look, according to research. More than four in five men (80.7%) talk in ways that promote anxiety about their body image by referring to perceived flaws and imperfections, compared with 75% of women. Similarly, 38% of men would sacrifice at least a year of their life in exchange for a perfect body – again, a higher proportion than women.” https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/06/body-image-concerns-men-more-than-women

*****​
    Anyone, male or female, who focuses solely on looks is going to struggle as they age.

I think at the end of the day, no matter what you look like or how old you are, if you do your best to keep yourself healthy, happy and social, with a twinkle in your eye, a bit of wit and a smile on your face, and a genuine appreciation for others, you’ll likely always get attention — and if you feel you need a little touch up, and that makes you happy, knock yourself out — the happy couples I know that have been together for 40+ years both still think the other looks good which in my books is incredibly sweet.

At the end of the day, I think we need to try to be kind to each other and promote positive body image in both men and women rather than saying things like “white women’s skin doesn’t age well, so sad” —because that attitude also works in reverse these days towards men (including yourself) as well — instead, look for beauty and uniqueness in people — maybe they have great eyes or a great smile or a great figure etc. Or a wicked sense of humor that makes you laugh so hard you temporarily forget all your worries and love being around them. There’s so much beauty in the world, it’s simply a matter of seeing it.

Anyways, we’re way off topic for what this forum is meant for, but I thought it important to address. Take care.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  7. ElectricUniverse

Well, I never said physical beauty was the end-all and be-all of human condition. Far from it.

Yes, it seems true that some men have joined women these days in becoming more vain in physical appearance. I chalk this up simply to current dodgy societal trends, marketing, the media, etc. rather than any lasting existential truths.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with a person wanting to present their best natural appearance to the world. It is something we should expect of each other.

Perhaps the overemphasis on the ephemeral (physical appearance) is a symptom of people living lives void of true meaning.

Also, today both men and women are afraid of perceived social consequences of appearing old.

Today's cultural environment is wacky and bent out of shape anyway with people deciding they want to be another gender or race than they were born with.

And a final comment on men's confusion about their relationships with women-- a growing trend seems to be MGTOW movement to avoid dealing with modern women (and no, I am not one of them!).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  8. drezy

drezy Gold

You had me at hello.

I love your points.

I'm a younger husband that has spent 4 years being the non-working caretaker of our son. The results have been amazing.

If you and @ElectricUniverse are ready for a funny story of a highly irregular family/marriage let me know. I'll even release the info of which longtime member here convinced me that, as a younger spouse, putting on just tight shorts works magic! It works! There's more to the story.

Novah likes this.
  9. Novah

Novah New Member

Ha, yes, do tell!