1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How to bake your bacon?

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by K123, Feb 2, 2014.

1. K123

K123 New Member

Does anyone know what is the right temperature to cook bacon in the oven? I have been cooking it in the oven for a while now but on about 180-200 deg c. Jack commented in the optimal kitchen video that bacon should be cooked a certain way to avoid some chemical called MDA I think. If anyone has heard him give a more exact temperature and timing I would love to hear :)

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

I think that is the temp he mentions in the video isn't it? you for sure don't want it crisp.

3. K123

K123 New Member

Hi Caroline! I don't think he mentioned any temperature on the video...only said low temperature..that is why I am stranded ;)
    200 deg c is actually quite high, it is like 392 deg f!!

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

that can't be right then .... do you have Jack's Ecookbook?

5. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

In the Optimal Kitchen video showing Dr K's kitchen (that Dr K did with Misty) he says 200 degrees. He calls it a very low temperature, so I'm pretty sure he means Farenheit, not Celsius.

In the video, he starts talking about bacon at about the 17 minute mark.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I was pretty sure that is what he said ....... of course F not C... should have realised that was what you where thinking. I promise to be more alert next time - LOL

7. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Golly, that would be low. That would be about 90 C. A "low oven" usually means something in the range 140 C to 170 C. Less than 100 would be the right at the bottom of the dial just a notch or two above plate-warming temperature.

8. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Below 165 f is not going to cook. I bake bacon at 225 and it takes like an hour. It will not crisp at low temp. I prefer non crispy bacon. I finish it under broiler for DW who likes crispy.

9. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

A higher temperature would certainly be more believable.

Take pork belly (this is the cut that streaky bacon is made from and, therefore, perhaps comparable). Jamie Oliver suggests 170C for that, which would be a fairly standard treatment. (He does, however, blast it for 10 minutes at high temperature first).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/pork-belly-roast

I haven't heard the video, so I dunno what Jack said.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

How does Jamie Oliver do the pork belly? I love pork belly!

11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks .....Have you tried it?

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

That looks soooooo good - I am really hungry right now!

14. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

No. I know someone who used to cook a pork joint rather like that, though. She followed a recipe that said to score the skin like that, to rub it with oilve oil, and to start it at high temperature, then turn it down. It did work inasmuch as it did result in crisp crackling. Unfortunately, the recipe also said to poke garlic cloves in. Bad idea. Perhaps you were supposed to make deeper holes for those, but at any rate I guess they'd be stil be a bit too close to the surface. The garlic used to burn, which makes it taste bitter and smell nasty.

Did you ever read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, Audrey?

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Confidential-Anthony-Bourdain/dp/1408845040/

(One you'd very much enjoy, I'd think.)

Anyway, Bourdain said as a French-trained chef he could always smell a Chinese restaurant streets away -- because they burn the garlic (since they cook it at high temperature in stir-fries) which is an absolute no-no in French cooking.

Bourdain's pretty Epi-Paleo himself in a way. A big seafood man. He said the best meal he ever had was in Japan -- course after course of really high-quality seafood, much of it raw.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't think I have read that one ........

I guess we should have a meet and great in Japan! whaddayathink???

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think 200F is what Jack means. I'm gently frying some bacon right now. It barely makes any noise, and yes, its a process that takes hours. I occasionally get up and turn it, and when some pieces start shrinking, I remove them and add more fresh bacon. I nibble all morning. Plz don't tell Jack! I got my laser CT thermometer and measured the temps. They range from 165F to 210F in various areas of the cast iron frying pan.

I suppose the correct way would be to save up all the cooked bacon and eat it for lunch, but I can never resist it.

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

And in the US, bacon is always streaky bacon. (I had not heard of streaky bacon until 3 years ago.) If it looks more like a slice of ham, we call that Canadian bacon.

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have never understood why it is called Canadian bacon! here is Oz - a strip of bacon includes it all .......streaky part and back bacon part.

19. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I never knew they meant back bacon. I'd thought "Canadian bacon" referred to some kind of disgusting "sweetcure" bacon with maple syrup in. No idea why I thought that. Maybe I've seen some bacon somewhere sold as "Canadian cure" with maple syrup in it.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

I think sometimes there could be maple syrup involved. Have you heard of peameal bacon?