1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How to apply Crossfit properly

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Bernadette, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I'm with Joe.

2. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

Scientific proof you only need 3 minutes of this "type" of exercise to have the most benefit............

3. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

I read that some movements in crossfit carry with them a high risk of injury. aka not the way we're designed to move.

Obviously risk of injury depends mostly on the force you apply. which is dependant on mass and acceleration. So if you move really quickly or with a high weight or both it's likely you're gonna injure yourself. Lifting 10kg in half a second is more dangerous than lifting 20kg in 5 seconds.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

True. Crossfit is for zoo animals.

5. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

see above video - you only need to do 3 minutes of this "type" of exercise a week

6. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

A training mindset is huge and not discussed often enough... training can be a way to self benefit and look down on your fellow man, or it can be a way to self-give and lift up your fellow man. This was posted in a Movnat forum recently:

Quite different from this:

http://therxreview.com/the-uglier-side-of-crossfit/

7. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

11223967_1667261386852606_6986326430420562677_n.jpg .
    Crossfit has had so many injuries they have now come out with their own line of Orthopedic Braces - arm, leg, neck, ect...

WOW :confused:

Danco3636 likes this.
  8. Crossfit is a "sport", its not wellness or health.

When I'm ready to integrate more exercise into my plans, I'm going to be going with this system http://arxfit.com/ it is based on Doug Mcguff's Body by Science protocols of superslow intense weight training, but it uses an adaptive resistance motor for you to fight against (potential nnEMF exposure aside) its a fantastic device that allows you to get a full body workout in only eight minutes, it tracks you to make sure you are not over training and on average you should only be doing this once a week. I'm in talks with the guys I know in Chicago about integrating cold thermogenesis and compression straps with the workout for more strength and less inflammation.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nothing that uses nnEMF can be called fantastic. That is like saying thalidomide or unfiltered Camels' are fantastic.

10. René Borg

René Borg New Member

For those who enjoy MovNat (Erwan's work) also have a look at Ido Portal's work. I attended his weekend workshop after doing my MovNat Trainer education and while it is quite different it is a fantastic system for learning 'Movement' as a language. He calls it 'Movement X' (Movement Culture) and he is a remarkable teacher. What his students achieve in terms of moving with grace and power is impressive.

Ido has a good axiom: 'the arms manipulate, the legs locomote, the spine organises' and this informs a lot of his approach on how to get the best out of each subsystem. Its a heuristic of course, so imperfect, but as a rule of thumb it has served me really well with clients especially in understanding what type of skill training and conditioning is most effective in movements where one of these three areas dominate (i.e. crawling patterns and climbing/pulling is generally best for the upper body/hands, sprinting/running for legs and so on).

If somehow MovNat and Movement X could mate and have a love child we'd be close to a perfect system (knowing we'll never get that...)

Dan E and smart cat like this.
  11. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I mate them and love Movement..... It is my play of movement and fitness connected to nature.... Can be done anywhere. It become life through movement rather than fitness you go do for life....
    Erwan & Ido are rock stars.... I have attended both of there seminars and MovNat certification....

smart cat likes this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I have a pretty classic post on movement and exercise on my DR. FB page today.......8/21/2015

13. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

BOOM!

Dan E likes this.
  14. René Borg

René Borg New Member

Great summary Jack. A question related to my question on the Achilles thread: if light, water and magnetism are the main drivers of proper motor control because they setup the 'winning terrain' for the spine, where do you see motor skill relearning.

I suppose I am asking:

1. Would you: Setup the 'winning terrain' (body in tune with the three natural laws) and then start rehabilitating the patient's motor skill through techniques (such as Ido Portal's micro exploration of the spinal movements etc.)
    2. Or would you: just Setup the winning terrain and then simply encourage natural lifestyle in the confidence the body will reorganise its own movement in the ideal way now that the 'pipe is clean'

15. Dan E

Dan E can someone flip my picture please :P

I think I can add some valuable thoughts to this thread. I had the fortunate experience of living near one of the best Crossfit boxes on Long Island and began training there in 2011. I gained some valuable knowledge that lead me from one amazing teacher to the next. I will list them so you can check them out.

It was love at first sight as I walked through the door. It was a gym with almost nothing in it. A big room of pull-up bars, gymnastic rings, climbing ropes and squat racks; the least amount of equipment of any gym I had ever seen. I had studied weight lifting for almost 20 years, and this seemed to begin my education. I learned about the proper mechanics of running, jumping, squating, rowing, gymnastics, mobility, recovery, you name it, and the coaching was excellent. Within 6 months my lungs and heart were in the best shape of my life and my physique was catching up also.

These discoveries also had a dark side. The more I trained, the more I needed to. I think this is the slippery slope of dopamine deficiency. After a while, I only felt alright when I had the rush of endorphins after a workout, and so I never wanted to miss a day. We were advised to train three times per week max but I'd often double that. My coffee consumption rose to an all time high. I did incur many injuries as the sport is often criticized for, I think it was more age related. The ideas discussed here on this site would be a godsend to the community because they are truly looking for optimal.

There are many positive aspects and there are many unintended consequences. If you can find the right coaching, there is a huge advantage as you can learn a ton without having to pay a personal trainer. These coaches can and should give you homework including books and video tutorials.

Kelly Starrett mobility wod
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB67wXqPqtMcNVA-UndNUy7bahGJzLQbT

Jagroops mobility class

Brian MacKenzie
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKWVooneqr-uPZleSPxUHFIpB0eljK2a_

Mark Rippetoe
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNhFKPjedRnQ0fZAf1v_K6uCPICapzzJc

Dr Romanov pose method running
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGE4JfVVA0XzotFjh3hKw1Osb33aELoy6

I can't tell you how much I learned from their books and videos. Crossfit might go off the rails when it involves intense competition but there's no pressure to get involved. Like in any sport, recovery is paramount, and if you don't know, you learn the hard way. I also made many friends and acquaintances with a positive and healthy outlook. As an adult where can you find people like that?

I have left the gym and since I have learned so much about light, I have taken my www.ironmaster.com
    dumbbells and kettlebell to the woods, beach or high school track to do interval training based on what I learned at Crossfit. It's not as fun as training with a bunch of people but until I drag someone out there with me, it will be just me and the sun throwing weight around. I really like the movenat idea and will be searching that out in the future also. If lifting doesn't appeal to you but you want to get rid of aches and pains, look into Kelly Starett and Jagroop, they will change your life.

Darleen and shah78 like this.