1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How Much do You Submerge?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by kathylu, May 5, 2012.

1. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I am doing an hour long soak at about 55 degrees daily. I have a deep tub so I am submerged up to my ribcage. Sorry to say (kinda vain), but I don't want to put the "girls" underwater as I don't want to lose any weight there! So the upper 1/3 of my body is out of the water. I do try to lean back to get some of my upper back in the water. I usually do not submerge my hands and arms either, mostly because I am using them to hold a book, ipod, etc. My husband had the brilliant idea of placing a piece of finished hardwood flooring over the tub, so I rest my arms there holding books, etc.

Question: Am I getting all the benefits of CT if 1/3 of my body is out of the water? It seems to me that your brain will still get the sensory input that it is fricking COLD in this situation. But maybe I'm wrong. I am reading lots of comments from folks that submerge up to their necks. What do you do?

I have also read many comments from CT jocks (my term, no offense intended) who are being more extreme. Water in the 30's, low 40's with full submersion, etc. Does that accomplish more than my wimpy 55 degrees? Or are they simply courting possible injury? I recall Jack writing that temps should go no lower than 50 degrees. My skin temp just out of the bath is 55 degrees.

I also ice my upper back for 45 minutes (using a LARGE gelpack) in the evening while I am watching tv. With my Uvex orange glasses on, of course!

Willing to change, if there is a good reason.

2. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

I have a nice, deep bath, and lie right back in it so that I am mostly submerged with really just my head and forearms out. Like you, I tend to do between 50 and 55, and try for about 30 - 60 mins depending on how it goes.

3. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

I am going to buy a snorkel so I can keep my head under longer, total submersion. Don't worry about your girls. Get them optimized too!

4. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

My girls are on the large side and because of that they store a lot of toxins. I have had them for almost 40 years. I am looking forward to them getting smaller. Even a lot smaller would be OK. I would love to try life without a bra.

5. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

I have been getting as much submerged as I can - girls are usually 80% in. I haven't been losing weight, and the girls are not getting smaller, instead I think they look even fuller and are definitely firmer. I like how they look now. :eek: I don't mind if they get smaller, as long as they stay firm! My hands and arms are always in the water too.

6. Birdy

Birdy New Member

Maybe it is a post-menopause thing, but once the hormones are balanced, ALL the fat shifts around, and the girls are better than ever.

7. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

i've got a huge tub, and I submerge everything neck down, with just my feet and hands sticking out on the sides.

8. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I've been CTing in a deep pond that until a few days ago was less than 50 so I submerge all the way to my lips. The ponds and streams here have started to warm up and The CT experience is very different as the water warms above 55. I am usually in for 15 min and that seems to be a lot longer as the temp of water rises. I don't feel the skin sensation that I feel below 55 and it seems like the water is actually draining more heat from my body. It feels like there is less benefit above 55. Has anyone had a similar experience?

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Dali, I think someone mentioned that, yes. Perhaps the BAT isn't activated?

10. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

I get the same experience. You are on to something there.

11. JC2K

JC2K New Member

Dr Kruse has mentioned that the sweet spot is that 50-55 degree range. You can adapt at higher temperatures as long as there's a delta with your body temp, but it takes longer. So not so much "less benefit" but "less benefit for the same amount of time".

In terms of the cold sensation, my recollection is that human cold receptors stop working around the 50 degree range. So if the water's usually under 50 degrees, you won't feel any colder than you do at 50, although your body will still react to the cold. If the water's above 50, you'll feel it more since the cold receptors are triggering. My guess is that's what's going on for you.

12. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Interesting, JC2K!

13. My husband and I have been using our pool and I've been going in up to my neck. My husband goes about half way up his chest. Apparently those last few inches are hard for him!

14. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Have you told him that he isn't exposing most of his BAT?

15. I don't think i have, but I will this evening when we get in the pool! I just wish the pool would stop warming up. Almost up to 60 :(. I guess we need to start thinking of another way to ct.

16. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I recall Dr. Kruse writing that you could CT in a pool in Florida in the summer, but it would take a lot longer, so you'd need to increase your time as the water warms up.

17. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Mine pool has warmed up too much and isn't working well anymore. I am considering joining a local gym with a cold pool but do not like the chlorine. I may have to make a setup at home. Ice is expensive in So. Cal and may cost more than a gym membership to doing it regularly. I never thought I would be considering the price of ice, LoL.

18. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

I guess if you swim rather than just standing in it you'll get more CT effect?

19. How so? We usually move around, but don't really swim.

20. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

From what I read, the reason why a cold shower is harder than a cold bath of same temperature is because running water takes away heat from our body quicker than still water. That's why I move my arms as much as I can in the tub to create "waves" against my body. Moving around definitely is better than standing still. Then swim should be better than just moving around? Just guessing.