1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How I make Ghee!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Shijin13, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ASHO

ASHO New Member

Where do you buy grass-fed ghee for $8.50 in SoCal?

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yes it is...according to their website http://purityfarms.com/

you might be able to get it cheaper since its a CO based farm

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I just went to their website and saw it, too. Thx, Shijin.

Well, made my ghee today (my kerry gold costs 5 bucks a brick and purity farms would actually be cheaper without the hassle!!). Not sure I did so well and forgot about it on the stove :eek: It sure smells heavenly!

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

How'd I do?

[​IMG]

5. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I do great until the straining... then I can't seem to get the solids from not being a part of the liquid, like yours is Soul. If I use paper towels it doesn't drain through. If I use a fine mesh strainer, solids get through with the liquid. What's the secret? (I realise I've never added the salt that Shijin's recipe link suggests... do you think that's a key?)

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I used a mesh strainer and lined it with a folded paper towel. It drains very slowly and I waited a bit in between pouring the liquid in so it wouldn't overflow. Just be patient :)

I did not add any salt.

7. ASHO I get PF ghee here in San Diego at Jimbos, a small locally owned grocery chain. You can also get it on Amazon for about the same price iirc.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Looks perfect, Souldanzer.

Kiwi, I use 3 or 4 layers of cheese cloth. But even then some of the darker particles always settle at the bottom. But those are fine eating too.

9. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

beautiful!!!! eat away!

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

this is what I do or Ill use a combo of cheese cloth and paper towel...

11. ASHO

ASHO New Member

Thank you, Patty Cakes. You're always so helpful.

12. I saw this pic before reading the thread - I was afraid we had gone to drinking urine.

13. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I quit when that happens!!!!;)

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I said that when there was talk about holding breath under water.... somehow now I do it anyways ;) I think part of the process of the blog is to get us prepared....slowly..... to think eating raw fish heads might be a terrific idea. I mean, would you really have done this last year when finding the blog???

15. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I know. I have thought the same thing. Glad I came on board when I did. Although, I still am not quite up to eating fish heads - yet!

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I'm in the middle of a big lab experiment. I read what Dr. K says like my life depends on it. And I think it does.

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

you are... but there's another lab experiment going on... CW. you choose.

18. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Thanks everyone. Perhaps I just need a tatoo with the above statement.

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

True dat.

And no one wants to admit that (CW) experiment is an abysmal failure.