1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How I make Ghee!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Shijin13, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Ok... so there's a lot of people on here who are following an AI protocol - and have gotten the OK from Jack to eat Ghee.

here' s the "recipe" I learned how to make ghee from:

http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2007/05/14/how-to-make-ghee/

Of recent the family has been going through 6-8 bricks of Kerry Gold unsalted butter/week.

I throw 2 bricks in my pan, and let it go according to the instructions in the website above!

So I'm making Ghee ever 2-3days - it takes anywhere btwn 45-1hr to make it.

considering the ghee you get in the store that is grassfed cost over $10 - 2 bricks of Kerry Gold at $2.79/brick is pretty freaking cheap. I use cheese cloth and paper towels to ensure I strain all the particles w/a fine mesh strainer into a 2cup pyrex measuring cup(I don't put the salt in like the instructions call for).

I let it cool a bit, then pour into a glass jar for storage - I then put it in the fridge to help it set molecularly

here are all my tools

http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-2-Cup-Measuring-Above-Graphics/dp/B003WA11AS/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1342446211&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=pyrex+measuring+cup

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-8-Inch-Double-Strainer/dp/B00004OCLX/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1342446242&sr=1-2&keywords=fine+mesh+strainer

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Thanks for posting about ghee, Shijin.

I use grass-fed salted butter from the dairy down the road from me. I usually put the butter in a thick pot, on the lowest heat setting for my gas stove. Every 10-15 minutes, I check on it.

Yes, it takes about an hour. After it stops the crackling noises, I watch it carefully. I've never messed up a batch yet, though sometimes I cook it longer than others. It's all good. I don't add salt either.

Those are good pics on that website, to show the different stages. In my opinion, they have the heat a little bit too high.

Oh, and you can try eating the stuff that you strain out. Wow it's salty good!

I don't put it in the fridge, because it seems to crystallize. And it is handy to have it soft and ready for use.

3. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

Thanks for the link Gretchen

4. Thanks Gretch! Totally on my mind to do this and save $$$

5. OK, I may have to make it! When I read what the savings are it is a must!

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

FWIW 2bricks of Kerry Gold = 1large jar of the purity farms ghee, which is going for $10/jar here in the dc area. That's a lot of $$$$$

7. The same large jar is $8.50 here in So Cal so it's still a savings! Plus I've never made it before and I will try almost anything in the kitchen!

8. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

How big is your "brick" of Kerrygold? Here, we pay around $5 for 8 ounces. Maybe you buy it at Costco???

9. Lyndra have you checked Trader Joes? That's where I get mine and each brick is around $2.79-2.89.

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

COSTCO in the DC VA MD area doesn't carry the kerrygold butter. I get mine at WFM b/c its cheapest there. TJoes in the are charges close to $3.25/brick

11. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Wow, that is a huge bargain. If I didn't mind driving to Santa Fe, I could check Trader Joe's :( :(. But at least one is opening up nearby this fall!!

12. Trader Joes are good for a few things like Kerry Gold! Our WF sells the butter for around $4.

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

you know what's crazy...is on the west coast TJoes is cheaper than WFM. here on the East coast - nope. WFM is usually cheaper for most things. Its crazy! recently TJoes jacked up the prices on lots of things... to the point DH - started price comparing at WFM - and decided we'd be better off buying certain things at WFM. most recently TJoes, has jacked up the price on seafood - to the point we now look at buying seafood in bulk from costco...

14. That is so weird. I know TJ's home is in Pasadena, CA. Not sure where WF is but maybe it all has to do with where their warehouses are. We mostly shop at a little organic market for all our produce and misc stuff. WF is too far away and they are known to have really higher prices than TJs. But TJs is a store everyone down here knows because it's home grown! I wonder what the pricing difference is in the middle states.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

yeah... its crazy. WFM is based out of Austin Tx. We've got a local small organic store that has *Some* good prices - but not across the board - they value of shopping there is all their produce/meat is local, and they're entirely energy efficient - using wind/solar power. I get a local turkey from them each November

There' are a lot of ppl around here that shop at TJoes - but most don't realize that their prices are more expensive... heck they just raised the price of haddock from $6/lb to $8/lb!

16. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Wait - what?!?! We CAN have ghee on the AI protocol?!?! Whoot - that just made my day! I thought I specifically remembered Dr. K saying previously not to have ghee, but then again I have that little brain fog problem, so I probably misunderstood and I'm certainly not complaining.

Picking me up several bricks of gold this week :)

17. kathylu

kathylu Gold

18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

oh yeah WE go to MOM's occasionally... I've tried it...but I prefer kerry gold not sure why but I do!

19. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Ghee is OK for AI - if in your consult he said ghee is ok...then its ok. if he said it isn't ok...its a no go!

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Purity Farms isn't grass fed, is it? It doesn't say so on the container.