1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How I got to here

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Eliza, Jan 20, 2014.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am still trying to remember the name of the lab! lol - it is in my notes somewhere..... but these days I am drowning in notes.
    My Doc is in Woonona ..... he is very interested in all this but doesn't know a lot ....but very willing to work with me.
    If I were to work with Dr. Tim .... the lab would send the results to him and also to your own Doc. He/she would have to set up an account [easy] and they[the lab] would help your Doc with reading the lab results.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Diagnostic Insight Path Lab in Sydney

If you are working with Dr. Jackson - you just need a GP who will write scripts for you...
    but having said that, you need to get on top of all of this .... that is what Jack is teaching us to do.
    My Doc is the loveliest man ever - I am very lucky .....but I have to know what I am taking about! well .... somewhat.
    I need to care about my own health and learn ....and help him to help me. We always have so much fun talking about all this and he always wants to know Jack's take ....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. Alex97232

Alex97232 Gold

Hi--I have lived in EMF HELL---didn't know it as that at the time. But, on March 29, 2013, my first night out of my high EMF bedroom, everything began to change for me. I call it "The Miracle".
    For years, I had been doing everything I and my doctors (Naturepath/MD/Chinese Medicine doc.) could think of to be healthy, but was pretty much a "failure to thrive" and sliding down---weight loss ongoing, chronic fatigue, brain fog, gut cramping, bloating, diarrhea,constipation, and dampened immune system.
    The only thing that seemed to work for me to help me feel better for awhile (always temporary) was acupuncture. That little nugget of hope was what started me thinking, researching everything I could find on energy, body, meridians, body electricity, etc.--led me to Becker et al., then, to getting my own Trifield Meter and getting a Bau Biology consultant to come out and do a follow up to what the Electric Company found--elevated electromagnetic fields in my bedroom (minimum 5mg at the center of my bed).

NOTHING I was doing really helped me UNTIL I BEGAN SLEEPING IN A CLEAN EMF ENVIRONMENT. I am recovering. Jack Kruse and his amazing work and his followers have helped me immeasurably. I am so grateful.

Jude, margor_j and Josh like this.
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Alex and welcome to this amazing journey! I love your story - I need to hear more please!

Please start a journal so we can get to know you and Dr. Kruse has some context.

Go to the top of this page and click on forum ..... the journal section is in the first grouping. Just start a new thread. If you need help just holler!

Please tell us more .... you have worked so hard to change your life and your story can help others here. it sounds like you have great instincts ....

Where are you located? How did you clean up your environment??? please, please tell us more! :)

you are one motivated woman.... I applaud you!

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Alex - Dr. K. likes and wants pictures .... he has new rules it seems! LOL
    He says he won't talk to us unless we have a pic!
    It is nice to see more oldies like me here!

6. Alex97232

Alex97232 Gold

Hi Caroline and thank you.
    I live in Santa Monica, CA (where the high EMF bedroom is, and in Portland, OR (main home)where I am writing you right now. Not sure about how to start the thread thing--I need some help to get there--I didn't want to lose this thread--especially the woman who was/is sleeping on a waterbed--wanted to help her--her sharing and your response were what got me to write.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi again ..... I am so very glad that you responded! If you ever have a problem with anything - go to the bottom right hand side of this page and click on - "contact us"

okay ..... for your journal - and I can't wait!

go to the top left hand side of this page .... click on Forum

The first section is "Meet and greet"

go down five categories until you come to "My optimal Journal"

click on ... start a new thread .....

give your journal a title ...and then start telling us stuff!:D

I will look out for you........okay?

Please always ask if you don't quite understand something ... we have all been there - especially me! I seem to be the poster girl for "slow to get it"

Dr. K. once told me when I said I had a dopey question ..."The question isn't dopey - what is dopey is that you waited so long to ask me"

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  8. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks Caroline, I'll give Diagnostic Insight a call tomorrow. lol, by coincidence I also just came across them on google! If worst comes to worst, I may have to hit you up for the name of your Dr, at least you've already started the learning process with him!

Welcome Alex :)

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Of course ..... Dr. Steve Lyon in Woonona - interesting thing - his wife is a naturopath!

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Eliza - there are compounding pharmacies on line - really easy to use when you have a Doc

11. Alex97232

Alex97232 Gold

Hi
    How do I add a photo?
    thanks

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just took a selfie .... with my iphone and then transferred it to my laptop.... and then to here. It was pretty easy - I usually don't have a clue.

if you click on your pic - or where it should be ....... and you will go to your profile page and it will tell you with how - I think .....please come back if you are having a problem.

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just tried it with mine ..... I clicked on my pic and get to my page ... and then I clicked on my pic again ... and then I clicked on my pic again and it comes up with avatar info.
    This might not be the right way to do it .... as I have said I am technically challenged!

14. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks Caroline - I'll give him a shot if the next appointment with an integrative gp I've found in Sydney doesn't work :) Does Dr Lyon have a good understanding of leaky gut do you know?

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Honestly Eliza - I wouldn't say that he does.....but he is willing to listen and learn. If you work with Dr Jackson you just need a doc to write scripts ....so would your GP do that?

Dr Lyon is run off his feet ....he just doesnt have time.....that is exactly why Dr. k. Tells us we have to take responsibility for our own health and then In turn help our docs to be better informed.

16. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Thanks Caroline - I think my Dr would be willing to write scripts, or I will find one who can! I enjoy learning all about this, I'm just starting to panic that I'm getting worse not better, and it's now more than ever I really need a gp to help me enact all of this learning!

17. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi everyone

It's been some time since I've posted here, but I've been following the leptin reset (ketogenic, dairy free, gluten free) all of that time, except for a few indiscretions here and there....

I found a great doctor who has done a whole lot of testing and has been treating me with bioidentical progesterone and 7-keto-DHEA, along with about 1000 other supplements. However, I don't feel like I'm yet leptin sensitive, purely from the fact that I'm not losing weight (my bf is around 40% based on a BIA). I am coming close to running out of solutions with my dr, who thinks that I am leptin resistant, and need to have liposuction to get rid of the fat. I agree with her on a lot of things, but on this I don't.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone might have. I'm not sure quite where to go next, and think that I need to tackle my inflammation and gut dysbiosis really hard as a start.

I haven't been retested since I started seeing her, but here's a summary of some of the many labs I've had done:

I had a whole heap of antinuclear antibody testing done, all of which came up negative, except for SS-B, which came up positive, but is apparently of uncertain clinical relevance. So I don't seem to have autoimmune disease.

Hormones

I had some great hormone testing done which was really detailed, so I'll just provide the summary:
    All measured in ng/mg:
    B-pregnanediol - 873 (265 - 1612)
    A- pregnanediol 171 (65-518)
    DHEAs - 53 (23-252)
    Androsterone - 563 (399-1364)
    Testosterone - 7.4 (5.5 - 17.8)
    5-alpha DHT - 1.7 (3.7-8.8)
    5-alpha androstanendiol - 17.2 (22-66)
    5-beta androstanendial - 23.1 (6-32)
    Epi-testosterone - 8.1 (4.5 - 22.3)
    Estrone (E1) - 5.1 (14-27.1)
    Estradiol (E2) - 1.2 (2-4.9)
    Estriol (E3) - 2.9 (5..6 - 23)
    2-OH-E1 - 7.2 (4.6 - 14.4)
    4-OH-E1 - 0.9 (0-1.8)
    16-OH-E1 - 0.8 (1.3 - 4.6)
    2-methoxy-E1 - 2.2 (2.9 - 5.9)
    2-OH-E2
    Prolactin - 105mIU/L (<540)
    SHBG 103 nmol?L (20-155)
    FAI <0.5 (0.5 - 5.0)

My 24 hr creatinine was within range

Cortisol
    Appears to follow the right diurnal pattern (i.e. high in the morning, low at night), but it's above range overall
    33ug (11-31)
    Cortisone 95ug (49-131)
    a-THF - 89ng/mg (134-281)
    b-THF - 831 (783-1317)
    b-THE - 1173 (1490 -can't read)
    metabolised cortisol 2093ng/mg (2412-4509)
    DHEAs - 53ng/mg (23 -250)
    Melatonin - 30.276ng/mg (10-50)

I had anti-mullerian hormone tested separately, which came out high at 37.3. >30 indicates the possibility of PCOS, or increased risk of ovarian hyperstimulation in a stimulated cycle, or in post menopausal females - granulosa cell tumours). To clarify, I'm 29, and menstruating reasonably regularly, albeit lightly.

The clinical notes about the cortisol say that overall free cortisol levels are elevated, but metabolised cortisol is low. Cortisol clearance may be a bit sluggish. which keeps free cortisol levels elevated in spite of low overall production. The conversion between active cortisol and inactive cortisone favours cortisol, so a metabolic preference for active cortisol may be responsible for elevated levels of free cortisol more so than cortisol production.

On the upside - it seems my melatonin is good and the pattern is normal (even if the levels are either high/low). However, the levels of the sex steroids seemed to be mostly low across the board.

Gut testing - bioscreen faecal microbial analysis
    Total aerobe count - normal - 1 x 10^11cfu/g (1 x 10^9 - 1 x 10^12)
    Aerobe:anaerobe ratio - 1 (1-2)
    Total aerobe count - 9.98 x 10^7 (1.00x10^7 - 1 x 10^8)
    E.Coli - 87.05 % (70-90%)
    Streptococcus - 9.14% (<5%)
    Lactococcus lactis - 2.18%
    Rothia mucilaginosa (1.63%)
    Total yeast <1 x 10^1 (<1 x 10^4)

Total anaerobe count 9.99 x 10^10 (1 x 10^8 - 1 x 10^12)
    Bacteroides - 67% (90-95%)
    Eubacterium - 32.61% (<15%)
    Lactobacillus - 0% (0.5 - 1.5%)
    Bifidobacterium - 0 % (5-11%)

So overall there's an overgrowth of streptococcus, lactococcus, rothia and eubacterium and an undergrowth of bifiobacterium and lactobacillus.

Urine pyrrole analysis:
    13 HPL ug/dL (10-15 is considered borderline, >15% considered elevated)
    Sounds like my methylation pathways are really not working well?

Urine metals (24hr test)
    Volume - high - 2.98 (0.5 - 2)
    Creatinine - 11 (5.3 - 16)
    Zinc - 14.6 (8-18)
    Iodine - 59 (50-100 is considered a mild deficiency)
    Iodine excretion - 175 ug/day (no reference range, I have no idea what's normal here)

HS-CRP 2.3 (<5.1). There's definitely inflammation going on! But hopefully with the ct, diet and other changes over the last year, this will have reduced somewhat on retesting.
    Vitamin D - 70 nmol/L (51 -140)

Blood histamine 1.8 umol/L (0.2 - 2)
    Copper 17umol/L (12-22)
    B12 - 314pmol/L (>170)

Fasting glucose 4.5mmol/L (3.6 - 6)
    Insulin - 3.9 (<14)
    Cholesterol - 10.3mmol?L (3.5 - 5.5)
    Triglycerides - 0.91 (0.5 - 2.2)
    Urea: 6.4mmol/L (2.5 - 6.5)
    Uric acid: 0.3mmol/L (0.15 - 0.40)
    I'm pretty sure I'm badly dehydrated, but doctors here seem to look at me a bit blankly if I ask for a BUN creatine ratio.

Thyroid
    FT4 - 13.6pmol/L (8.2 - 22)
    TSH - 1.6 mU/L (0.5 - 4.4)
    FT3 - 2.7 pmol/L (2-7)
    I didn't have Reverse T3 tested at this time, but was previously highish - 370 (140 - 540)

Homocysteine 6.2umol/L (4-12.2)

Other things I noticed from a previous batch of testing: red cell folate - 2548 (>1300)

About my lifestyle: low stress, paying attention to circadian rhythms and light, trying to do around 45 mins in a bath with ice every day. Perhaps not enough seafood. In the last week I have started eating NZ green lipped mussels twice per day in an effort to correct.

I'm currently having a lot of supplements and meds to try to correct these problems:
    - 4% progesterone cream in 2nd half of cycle
    - 7-keto DHEAD - 25mg/day
    - metformin extended - 1000mg (500 am , 500pm)
    - ubiquinol - 100mg/day
    - ox bile - 500mg 2x per day (with biggest/fattiest meal)
    - NAC - 500mg/day
    - thyroplex (1/day). Contains 145mcg potassium iodide,50mcg selenium)
    - 300mg highly bioavailable curcumin/day
    -B5/B6 supplement containing 200mg B6, 1000mg B5 (calcium pantothenate)
    - 2 x 1000mg L-glutamine / day
    - 2 x 500 mg Vit C / day
    - Custom probiotics D-Lactate free

I am determined to lose this body fat, reduce the inflammation and move on using this new way of life. But my Dr has suggested perhaps I'm so leptin resistant that liposuction would get rid of fat, which would reduce the inflammation and allow me to lose the rest of the weight naturally. I really don't want to undergo lipo if there's another way.

A few things I'm confused about: my cortisol diurnal pattern seems to be normal (albeit a bit high in total, but low metabolised) and my melatonin is normal. Does this mean I'm not leptin resistant? I couldn't believe that with all the hormone problems and low T3 (and previously high RT3)

Hopefully my gut flora has seen some improvement on the above results since I started on the above probiotics. Is that where the inflammation is coming from? Do I just keep working on the gut with ct, or should I supplement iodine (through eating more seafood) and try some T3 therapy? Or is undermethylation my greater problem (from pyrrole testing, reasonably high histamine , not detoxing oestrogen properly etc)

Any thoughts on next steps would be so much appreciated!

Eliza.

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Hi Eliza;

The clinical notes about the cortisol say that overall free cortisol levels are elevated, but metabolised cortisol is low. Cortisol

clearance may be a bit sluggish. which keeps free cortisol levels elevated in spite of low overall production.

FT4 - 13.6pmol/L (8.2 - 22)
    TSH - 1.6 mU/L (0.5 - 4.4)
    FT3 - 2.7 pmol/L (2-7)
    SHBG 103
    metabolised cortisol 2093ng/mg (2412-4509)
    DHEAs - 53ng/mg (23 -250)
    Cortisol Appears to follow the right diurnal pattern (i.e. high in the morning, low at night)
    B-pregnanediol - 873 (265 - 1612)
    A- pregnanediol 171 (65-518)
    Estrone (E1) - 5.1 (14-27.1)
    Estradiol (E2) - 1.2 (2-4.9)
    Estriol (E3) - 2.9 (5..6 - 23)
    Testosterone - 7.4 (5.5 - 17.8)
    5-alpha DHT - 1.7 (3.7-8.8)
    Iodine - 59 (50-100 is considered a mild deficiency)
    Iodine excretion - 175 ug/day (no reference range, I have no idea what's normal here)
    ----------------------
    ======================
    I'm currently having a lot of supplements and meds to try to correct these problems:
    - 4% progesterone cream in 2nd half of cycle
    - 7-keto DHEAD - 25mg/day
    - metformin extended - 1000mg (500 am , 500pm)
    - ubiquinol - 100mg/day
    - ox bile - 500mg 2x per day (with biggest/fattiest meal)
    - NAC - 500mg/day
    - thyroplex (1/day). Contains 145mcg potassium iodide,50mcg selenium)
    - 300mg highly bioavailable curcumin/day
    - 2 x 1000mg L-glutamine / day
    - 2 x 500 mg Vit C / day
    - Custom probiotics D-Lactate free

======================================================================
    Number #1 if you want to loose weight you must have
    under arm pit temperature at noon time 36.6C up to 37C
    FreeT3 must be at about 75% within its range up to the top range
    so current FT3 - 2.7 pmol/L (2-7) should change to:
    2+0.75(7-2)=5.7 to 7

You are certified low on iodine/iodide
    people associate iodine/iodine mostly with thyroid but
    according to dr Fletchas
    thyroid holds 50mg iodine
    whole body holds 1500mg iodine
    http://www.allthingsmale.com/community/threads/rt3-high-how-to-deal-with-it-2.2666/page-23

should supplement with selenium and Lugol's
    while taking (- thyroplex (1/day). Contains 145mcg potassium iodide,50mcg selenium)
    I assume that you at least have some selenium, so you can start with full dose of selenium and Lugol'sright away.
    That would replace thyroplex

1/eod-->Super Selenium Complex, 200 mcg 100 capsules (lef.org)

1 dropperfull/day=48mg/day
    Lugol's Iodine Family Pack -- 6 (2 fl. oz.) bottles
    http://www.amazon.com/Lugols-Iodine-Family-Pack-bottles/dp/B001RRP3FW

[​IMG]

Above dose is for 3-4 years.
    iodide = halide=desirable
    It takes that long to remove undesirable halides.
    Watch out for halide exposure.
    iodide=good
    bromide
    fluoride
    chloride
    xx

Right now you are low on FT4 & FT3
    You could likely use natural thyroid hormone (T3 + T4 +T2)
    I am thinking of 1-2 grains, but no more than 3 grains (at this time)
    Say, enough to either get FT3 to desired (as above) level or TSH>=0.5 (or body temperature)
    If you start building up to much T4 & FT4 without benefiting FT3 that would mean that deiodinase, enzyme converting T4-->T3 is not

working correctly. At that time it is good to know RT3. Raising RT3 indicates deficient converting process.
    If body cannot make FT3 then it discard excess T4 via RT3.
    Deiodinases work of selenium. But do not take more than listed above.
    If conversion problems happens, the other way is to replace some natural supplemental thyroid hormone pills with T3.

Suggested Lugol's dose is =48mg/day, suggested by both dr's Fletchas and Brownstein
    Except that dr Brownstein actually hesitates, thinking that 100mg/day bay be better in some cases.

I post it because there is controversy on this topic.
    Also
    minute (but vocal) minority is adversely affected (likely due to excessive halides, mostly bromide), so it pays to ramp up slowly.
    Ramp up slowly, when having sufficient selenium=2-4 weeks

At this time you appear to have good free cortisol, values and shape.
    That may change when you will actually begin to use it (the cortisol) more aggressively. Needs monitoring, plus
    better steroid hormone panel management (below).

You are taking 7keto-DHEA. In this context 7-keto DHEA is helpful, but rather at 100-200mg/day dose

Monitor your (high) SHBG, it should get low with better FreeT3, if you would have big SHBG swings, your optimal FreeT3= minimal-SHGB

===============================================================================
    You have very nice hormone panel done (the panel is good but not the results).
    But
    to make proper adjustments I/you could use few other (blood) tests.
    This blood tests you need to do periodically and rather often.
    This blood tests must always be done at the same laboratory using the same type of test, so the results could be meaningfully compared.

Look at LONG LIST for LabCorp (items 1-19)
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/

We are going to concentrate at first on day 2-4 of your menstrual cycle (minimum progesterone and estradiol)
    latter
    we will add days 19-21 (or max progesterone)

In the first phase you want to get this results on day 2-4 menstrual cycle:
    pregnenolone=top of range or less
    progesterone=1.5ng/mL or slightly more
    cortisol(7:30AM) at top range, minimally more is ok
    DHEAs=Women 275-400 μg/dL higher likely better (specially facing your low Testosterone, DHT and high SHBG)

To get there:
    1---- use DHEA pills. I like DHEA 100mg from lef.org (because of good price)
    You need enough pills to get the job done. (At the max I used 400mg/day, now 300mg/day, dr Kruse reported 500mg/day during some of his

hacks.
    2---- keep progesterone that you are using in second half of cycle (make sure that you keep the dose unchanged)

3---- add
    Nutricology Pregnenolone 150 Mg Sustained Release Tablets, 60 Count
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutricology-P...ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429018316&sr=1-

Titrate dose watching pregnenolone, progestrone and cortisol(7:30AM) blood levels
    Use as need. For perspective, you will need 150-900mg/day, I say, because I am a 75yo man. Man need much less.
    Use above blood test to get to dose that will give you desired results.

After you get your day 2-4 optimal, or somewhat before, add monitoring of your days 19-21.
    At day 19-21 you may want to check only progesterone and E2 (if finances are tight).

-------------
    When you will be close to optimal on 2-4 and 19-21 it it will be good time to have a look at your testosterone/DHT

In the mean time make sure that you do not take any medications athat affect aromatase and 5Ar enzymes.
    Good dose of cruciferous vegetables is always a plus.

--------------

When I look at you taking:

I am thinking of replacing it with:

Methyl Guard plus from Thorne

Pantethine 60 Caps by Nutricology

http://www.amazon.com/Nutricology-P...TF8&qid=1403534679&sr=8-1&keywords=pantethine

+nutricology

----------
    - ubiquinol - 100mg/day -----------> 400
    - NAC - 500mg/day -----------------> 2000

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please look at my posts here:
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/

get:
    http://spectracell.mybigcommerce.com/tests/
    Micronutrient Test
    Cardiometabolic Panel

It is really worth while to do this two tests, specially the micronutrient one is just one of the kind.
    You would avoid 20 years of guessing by the biggest and best brains, it would help you tremendously.
    Call their office, talk to them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post your whole body picture (scantily clothed).
    Latter we will be able to check on your progress.

weight, height, ancestry

-------------------------------------------------------

/////
    You Mom's GERD.

She needs to have gastroscopy (and colonoscopy)
    Sleep on very raised bed (or on the chair in sitting position)

GERD is often caused by low gastric acid (not high).

I have hiatal hernia.
    Slept for the last 25-30 years on inclined bed.
    Then lately started feeling discomfort in esophagus.
    Got gastrocopy ----> slight irritation.
    Got a deal from my gastroenterologist.
    At night take Ranitidine 150mg (Zantac over the counter)
    At day time up to 10 tablets of Betaine HCL with each meal (to get some acid)
    Country Life - Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin 600 mg. - 250 Tablets
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IY0O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    That worked as a charm for the last year.
    Last month I went back to flat bed and no Zantac. Works well, wish me luck.

////

20. Eliza

Eliza Gold

Hi Jansz

Thanks so much for all your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to look through my labs and provide such thorough advice. You have such a wealth of knowledge - do you have a biochemistry or lab background if you don't mind me asking?

OK - so... tackle the hormones and thyroid harder. Do you think I should keep up with the same gut protocol? Will taking the D-Lactate Custom probiotics allow the better gut flora to proliferate once my hormone levels are better? (presumably I need progesterone in the top quartile before it has a better protective effect for my leaky gut).

As for my mum...I'm hoping that once I get better, I will be able to lead by example. It is amazing at how proton pump inhibitors, much like statins, are just given out by doctors like statins. As Jack would say, once you know better, you do better.

In terms of the labs, I'll do my best with getting them all done. A different doctor that I went to for totally separate reasons I asked for her to give me a lab sheet for some of the hormones (just a basic blood, not like the extensive testing above). I'll try to get those done next week which should give me a very broad indication of how much progress I've made in the year since I had the above tests.

Unfortunately, being in Australia, some of these diagnostic tests may be hard to get. I have a bad feeling Diagnostic Insight has gone, which did a lot of the Spectracell/Genova testing. I'll have to investigate more.

While I'm on the subject, can I also just say those in USA are very lucky that they can just buy DHEA. Here in Australia it's a controlled substance, and cannot be imported without a permit. I looked at the LEF one you recommended at about $25 - compared to the $115 I pay for the one I'm required to get prescribed and made at a compounding pharmacy!!

Many thanks again Jansz, I'll keep you all informed of my progress

Eddie Garza likes this.