1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How does UV light interact with matter?

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by Jack Kruse, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The near ultraviolet is absorbed very strongly in the surface layer of the skin by electron transitions. As you go to higher energies, the ionization energies for many molecules are reached and the more dangerous photoionization processes take place. This distinction in UV is not well understood by medicine. Sunburn is primarily an effect of UV radiation, and ionization is what produces the risk of skin cancer. There is a distinction here that needs to be understood.

The ozone layer in the upper atmosphere is important for human health because it absorbs most of the harmful ultraviolet radiation (UVC) from the sun before it reaches the surface. The higher frequencies in the ultraviolet are ionizing radiation and can produce harmful physiological effects ranging from sunburn to skin cancer. (Most are also filtered out in different ways) Aluminum is rarely used in biology because it is the one small atom that strongly reflects UV light.

Health concerns for UV exposure are mostly for the range 290-330 nm in wavelength, the range called UVB. According to Scotto, et al, the most effective biological wavelength for producing skin burns is 297 nm. Their research indicates that the biological effects increase logarithmically within the UVB range, with 330 nm being only 0.1% as effective as 297 nm for biological effects. These frequencies vary daily wth the seasons and photoperiod based upon your location on Earth. So it is clearly important to control exposure to UVB by paying attention to what part of the day your get sun and how much you get during the seasons based upon your location.

freesia and nicld like this.
  2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

3. nicld

nicld Gold

I have learned that there is a specific times of the day that I need to avoid the sun in order not to burn depending on the month. So far (besides Costa Rica in April), I have only got a little pink when I stayed out too long and it was gone by the next morning. Hoping when I get the vitamin D tested next month I will have a stellar value.

4. RobH

RobH Gold

I am a little surprised to find out that UVB during assumed full midday sun could be so dangerous. Evolutionarily I would have thought the body would have mechanisms to deal with sunlight at any and all times of day. I suppose if we were evolved to hunt / forage in early mornings / late afternoons and lay in the shade for a midday nap that makes sense....

Can having adequate DHA in RBCs / skin / cell membranes completely mitigate that risk?

RobH

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

We do Rob........when UBV is strongest it is at summer in 11AM-3 PM. In summer what should you eat? Carbs cause this is when they grow. What do carbs due to RBC's? They raise your HbA1c so that you do not absorb as much UV light. That is the purpose of glycosylated Hb in summer. In winter it forms an antifreeze effect because below 52 degrees insulin does not work as well and this cause a relative glycosylation too. Gilbert Ling found the latter result in 1952.

Scompy likes this.
  6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

With the exception of over exposure in NOLA and AL on the gulf - we haven't burned at all this year when outside working in the yard. but we've been eating massive locally grown produce (I'm still experimenting with zucchini recipes) and seasonal fruits. Our blueberry bushes are finally slowing down... but the wild blackberries are picking up, and our peaches should ripen in the next month and 1/2.

I will say there are days where when its too intense we've come inside to work... then go back out after 3-4pm...

nicld likes this.
  7. RobH

RobH Gold

Of course! Ok, you've said it before that glycosylation protects hemoglobin and decreases UV absorption. and now this time I think I may have got it! dots connect. Thank you for patiently repeating yourself. I promise after another 9,972 oysters I'll be much smarter (10k is my short term goal). 8^) Going to try to chip 24 more or so off that tonight.

I've been outside like crazy since coming home if not at work and neglecting other work to be in the sun. Haven't burned a bit and the sun here is bright and hot this time of year (102F today). Feels great. Drinking a lot (of spring water) also. Even parts that have never been exposed haven't burned yet (little more careful there) Also DHA consumption has been way up. Unfortunately not locally grown DHA, but we do buy as much local seasonal organic produce as possible. Weight coming off again! Feeling a lot better excepting working till 3:30am last night (now I know how I used to feel ALL THE TIME again) That's the next thing to change.

To think, I wonder if most primary care folks have noticed that HgbA1Cs vary seasonally. Or maybe not because most folks eat carbs like crazy year around and so I doubt there is much seasonal variation in the general population. and little enough sun exposure since sun is touted as bad (went rafting last week and some of the healthiest (and happiest) folks I have met in months (Kruise excluded) were the raft guides who spend all day in the sun, shirtless, in and on the river. I don't think it matters what they eat.)

Regards to all,

RobH

freesia and Shijin13 like this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

15. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

boom!

16. Butters

Butters New Member

But why then is the HbA1c in winter higher than in summer in diabetics? Because they aren't eating by their seasons like they should?

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Because glucose increases in plasma when temps drop below 52 degrees: See Gilbert Ling's work on insulin. The higher levels of glucose allow for the glucose to act like an antifreeze as another quantum effect. I spoke about this in CPC 4 Evolutionary friend or foe.

Biochemistry is thermoplastic.

Shijin13 likes this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You need to understand the history of luminescence: Several investigators reported luminescence phenomena during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, but it was British scientist Sir George G. Stokes who first described fluorescence in 1852 and was responsible for coining the term in honor of the blue-white fluorescent mineral fluorite (fluorspar). Stokes also discovered the wavelength shift to longer values in emission spectra that bears his name. Fluorescence was first encountered in optical microscopy during the early part of the twentieth century by several notable scientists, including August Köhler and Carl Reichert, who initially reported that fluorescence was a nuisance in ultraviolet microscopy. The first fluorescence microscopes were developed between 1911 and 1913 by German physicists Otto Heimstädt and Heinrich Lehmann as a spin-off from the ultraviolet instrument. These microscopes were employed to observe autofluorescence in bacteria, animal, and plant tissues. Here again, you have evidence of cells giving off ELF-UV light over 100 years ago. Amazing how no one today knows this huh? Shortly thereafter, Stanislav Von Provazek launched a new era when he used fluorescence microscopy to study dye binding in fixed tissues and living cells. However, it wasn't until the early 1940s that Albert Coons developed a technique for labeling antibodies with fluorescent dyes, thus giving birth to the field of immunofluorescence. By the turn of the twenty-first century, the field of fluorescence microscopy was responsible for a revolution in cell biology, coupling the power of live cell imaging to highly specific multiple labeling of individual organelles and macromolecular complexes with synthetic and genetically encoded fluorescent probes.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Scompy likes this.
  19. Linz

Linz Gold

Only mad dogs and Englishmen .............