1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How does ocular melatonin influence pineal melatonin at night?

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Curves, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

We don't need to improve sleep........we need to innovate darkness and sleep comes naturally as a result. Big difference. Focus in on what matters and not on what doesn't. Nothing improves sleep like sunlight prescribed at the correct time. How many times do you fall asleep at the beach?

When you embrace the sun, now becomes most powerful, and it's the dark's turn to be afraid. Try not to afraid because it shortens time on Earth. Without the sun our life becomes a series of fears. You become afraid you’ll be a book that no one reads. Music that no one listens to anymore. You'll be afraid you’ll be abandoned like a movie playing in an empty theater.

Curves, nikita and Shijin13 like this.
  2. Curves

Curves Guest

I sentence from you, 4 days of research for me :) LOL!

3. Curves

Curves Guest

I've been telling people for the last year or so -- "you're not broken, but your environment is. Fix your environment and your sleep and well-being will flow naturally."

Although I knew the role of light with respect to morning cortisol and circadian biology, I did not understand until recently the role of light on our surfaces/skin in promoting wellness.

You might be surprised to know, that in the last year and a half, I studied and wrote a lot about the electromagnetic spectrum, and light. Looking back, I can see that I was following your bread crumbs and drawing conclusions even while not being totally conscious of it.

Joe Gavin and cinnamon like this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Elaine watch this.........the inconceivable waves of light are everywhere but your eye is only attuned to a very specific octave of the spectrum.

Curves, Shijin13 and Joe Gavin like this.
  5. Joe Gavin

Joe Gavin Face Everything And Rise

"It was there all the time, it was only when you turned on the radio that you noticed it."

"The inconceivable nature of Nature"

Great stuff.

Curves, Shijin13 and Lahelada like this.
  6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I laughed when he said that. How many people insist that something is not there when all powerful man has turned the off switch....

Curves likes this.
  7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Can anyone point me to the place where Jack was talking about controlling the conversation by limiting the parameters of what was discussed, but allowing unlimited discussion within those parameters? Google doesn't seem to like me today.

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Great thread... as I've been studying neurotransmitters.... I've been looking at the Aromatic rings of neurotransmitters (dopamine in particular) the rings of melanin in the the substantia nigra pars compacta and locus coeruleus where dopamine and other catecholamine neurotransmitters are produced.... how did I end up lookign at the Rings? pyophroin Rings of hemoglobin and Chlorophyll sent me looking for other rings, that most likely have similar light absorbing and emitting properties....

Curves, cinnamon and Penny like this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

All absorb in the UV range Gretchen..........

Curves likes this.
  10. Curves

Curves Guest

As a species we've become so blind to our own narrow reality, trapped in our own limited interpretation of the world. We can't fathom something might exist beyond our own five senses.

I think understanding the electromagnetic spectrum is mind expanding. When you understand that you only have the ability to consciously perceive a very specific and narrow band of this spectrum you become more in awe of the world around you. And, on a practical level, you become more open to believing that surrounding yourself with non-native frequencies in amounts that are alien to your biology is no bueno for your health.

Feynman rocks.

11. Curves

Curves Guest

Dr. Kruse, best study indicating the retina is responding to the UV part of the morning spectrum por favor?

12. Curves

Curves Guest

@nonchalant I remember that too. Although I'm not remembering where I read it. I think it was FB but let me try to remember. . . .

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

That's what I'm discovering.... as I study this stuff.

I still have a question regarding biopolar neurons. How do they specifically capture and transimit the UV frequency to the SCN? Is it more than the stimulus of the UV hitting the retnia? or does it go beyond? Trying to understand how CNII plays into this???

Curves likes this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The morning has UVA not UVB......and UVA technically does not show up right away.......depends upon latitude and altitude over 5000 ft. The best......is easy to do. Buy any UV LED flashlight and point it into the pupil quickly back and forth and then report back what you see.............if the lens and cornea block all Uv why do you see this in every retina you test? Because the current belief system is WRONG. Feynman once said you can have a beautiful theory but if it does not match the experiment it is wrong no matter how gorgeous it seems.

Stop listening to famous people with limited viewpoints. A simple LED UV flashlight test exposes their nonsense. I do it all the time to people who visit me and they get the message loud and clear.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Curves likes this.
  15. Curves

Curves Guest

Meant to say, research that indicates that it UV (rather than another part of the spectrum) that triggers the retina to signal to the SCN?

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Light responses in bipolar cells are initiated by synapses with photoreceptors. The bipolar cells then transmit the signals from the photoreceptors or the horizontal cells, and pass it on to the ganglion cells directly or indirectly via amercing cells in the retina. Unlike most neurons, bipolar cells communicate via graded potentials and not action potentials. This means light frequency is on a slope. That slope is related in quantum fashion to the neurotransmitters in the brain. All NT are also quantized to light. This is why dopamine and UV light are linked. Like horizontal cells, amacrine cells work laterally also. However, horizontal cells are connected to the output of rod and cone cells. These are the main photoreceptor of the eye clock and camera. Amacrine cells affect the output from bipolar cells directly (they are inhibitory), and are therefore more specialized. The specialization comes in the form of light frequencies they respond too. Each type of amacrine cell releases one or several NT's where it connects with other cells in the brain to do what they do. This is why there are 33 types. If you understand factorial math, that means within our octave of the visible spectrum amacrine cells can handle
    8,683,317,618,811,886,495,518,194,401,280,000,000 different frequencies. So when you realize that biochemistry only uses 100,000 reactions per second light frequencies can easily handle this task via your retina. Biochemists have no clue what controls enzymatic flux but now you do.........

This is how sorting out the visible spectrum of light occurs. We operate in jut one octave of 73 octaves of light total spectrum. Within that one octave are hundreds of thousands of frequencies of light. Amacrine cells determine what frequencies we pay most attention to and link them to NT that respond to these frequencies. They are respond in quantized fashion controlled by light alone. The rest of the frequencies we remain oblivious too in our retina because our visual sense is not attuned to them.

Everything we put on our bodies distorts our sensory perception. This alters our reality. The senses are specific to our morphologic development and present for us to use the specific spectrum of our local environment in the best ways ways possible. When you move away from your ideal adapted environment things change. Why? Blocking one part of the spectrum alters biochemistry because it often regulates another. This is akin to having sex with your clothes on. We can do this, but nature wants us naked for a reason. Moreover, it's probably not a good thing to consider. Mother Nature perspective is the one makes the point we should adhere to. Our surfaces are designed to decipher wave forms from the space around us; they are invisible to us unless we have our senses intact.

Curves and Shijin13 like this.
  17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

melanopsin........all of this is covered in the blogs.

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

central retinal pathways all respond to melanopsin.........435nm -465 nm as light goes from bright to dark. That decrescendo is the key.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

UV light then absorbed in day is stored in the melanin granules of the RPE and it is released at night to regenerate the photoreceptors.

freesia and Curves like this.
  20. Curves

Curves Guest

Got it. Thanks.