1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How do you know your Leptin is reset? And how about relapse?

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by Petra, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Petra

Petra New Member

In January I did a strict reset. Did not lose weight, but I felt full quite fast and had no cravings for sugar and/or carbs.

Now with CT I get cravings again even for carbs. Did the reset not work out?

Lately I eat some 75-100grams of carbs a day, is that causing relapse and I'm getting Leptin Resistant again? How does that work?

Thanks already for your thoughts and input,

Petra

2. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

With CT, you're also supposed to be eating keto style and limiting carbs. With the reset, if you have weight to lose, you should stay under 50 grams of carbs/day...but with keto, it's much lower than that. If the carbs are making you crave, I would cut them out or limit them much more, adding in more fats instead. Just my two cents...

3. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

There's a list on the blog about the signs to look out for ebfore you are fully LS. Doc says it takes 6-8 weeks, but often longer, depending on your health-status as you start. I have a feeling age matters too.

Having been there and done that (the banana-incident in nov 2011...), I'm tipping whats happening is that CT gets you hungry ebcause its burning fat. Our bodies' antural response to that is to ask to be fed by driving hunger. The fact that your each for carbs, to me indicates that you're not leptin sensitive at the liver (this was me for a long long time), OR you have Candida-overgroth in your gut. 75-100 grams carbs is a lot if its not summer, and you want to lose weight. I did 80-100 grams over summer, but now I'm down to 40-60 grams daily (fall here in Oz). By June/July I plan on being keto.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

A nugget Dr. K posted in response to a question I had that's something to consider if things aren't working out with CT:

5. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

I've naturally eliminated the use of TV and iPad most evenings now, and in bed by 9 pm, lights off by 9.30 pm the latest. A natural urge that started after I begun CT. I noticed CT made me sleepy, but then the TV would wake me up again! Planning on getting yellow lense glasses to wear at home for the times I want to watch a movie or stay up to watch a docu etc.

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm honestly wondering if the stress effect doesn't just come from technology... but any other stress as well. Everything was dandy with my eating until I hit a major stressor in my life recently. Then things went downhill. All the CT in the world doesn't appear to fix that.

But then, I have AN brain and that might make things radically different...

7. Petra

Petra New Member

Thanks guys, for your insights. Monday starting the reset over.

Glamorama, I think you are already a remarkable member here. Pardon me for my ignorant brain, what does LHT stand for?

Have a great Friday,

Petra

8. Rhoswen

Rhoswen New Member

I believe it stands for "Lift Heavy Things". :)

9. Petra

Petra New Member

[slaps forehead] Of course, thanks.

10. TheKid

TheKid Gold

Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one facing cravings. I started CT about 2 weeks ago and seemingly out of nowhere cravings popped up this week. I'm 6 weeks into the Leptin Rx and really thought I had cravings beat. Do you guys really think it is lack of Leptin sensitivity in the liver? Or could it be something else?

And if cravings are happening to people, what do you do to cope?

11. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Yup, I'm an avid body-weight and barbell/dumbbell lifter. :)

12. Petra

Petra New Member

For me I write them off as looking for comfort now that I CTing. The cold is making me unconformable. I'm not there yet, that is why I fell back on some carbs again. Which is no good choice, might you consider giving in to the cravings. Brain fog is coming up.

It is definitely no hunger pang. So Jack's right, cold reduces hunger feelings, yet cravings are coming back and twisting my sobriety.

13. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

For the cravings try upping your fat content during the day, I find mine are abolished if I eat 70+% fat in the day. it`s really hard to want carbs with that level of fat in the diet.

14. Croak

Croak New Member

It's not looking for comfort, it's your body saying:

"HEY, I'M EATING YOU ALIVE HERE TO STAY WARM, YOU NEED TO THROW SOME LOGS ON THE FIRE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP WHAT YOU GOT!"

You're not craving carbs per se, you're just getting a strong hunger signal after CT which is normal, and you are translating that to carb desire.

When the doc says CT kills hunger, he's right...no hunger at all when cold, but as you warm up that's a different matter.

15. Groketteliveson

Groketteliveson New Member

My hunger comes in phases. For the most part CT has cut the hunger cravings. Guess I need to start paying closer attention as to when the hunger is triggered.

16. Dan in Utah

Dan in Utah New Member

Hey Petra,

Here's my list of signs of leptin sensitivity:

• Less hunger and cravings

• Sleeping like a rock

• Feeling refreshed in the morning

• Less muscle soreness

• Mental calmness

• Steady weight loss

• Increased libido

• Softer skin and stronger nails

• Improved mental ability

• Fewer headaches

• Dreaming, especially about moving your body (dancing, exercising, exploring, etc.)

• More energy

• More sweating with exertion

• Firmer gums, smoother teeth

I guess a relapse would be a reverse of the above.

I crave carbs, too, at times, but much less than a few months ago. If someone's metabolism has been leptin resistance/insulin dominant, they're riding on a repeating 90-120 minute hyperglycemia/insulin surge/reactive hypoglycemia metabolic roller-coaster. Leptin will eventually tame insulin, but it can take awhile. I think adequate sleep, stress management, stopping inflammation, and CT are equally important as carb restriction. Eating seasonally make a difference, too. If your stuck, you need labs to guide your way out.

Good luck!

17. Same here... I thought I was losing it--to suddenly start having carb cravings after never even thinking about food for nearly 6 weeks. I have been doing the CT for a few weeks, but really lowered the temperature this past week and that's what has brought on the cravings.. nothing serious, but noticeable. I pop a couple macadamia nuts and that seems to fix the problem. Not sure if macadamia nuts are the thing to eat during the winter--but then again I don't know if the 75 deg. temps in the desert in March is winter :confused:

18. WandaP

WandaP New Member

I'm new, so I have a question. Is "keto" putting your body in ketosis? What do you do to overcome bad breath that goes with ketosis? I did Atkins about 15 years ago for about 4 months, but I got a terrible breath with ketone burn. Also, I know I have had candida overgrowth in the gut. My legs are all itchy and yeasty, but they are already better after just 3 weeks on the leptin reset. (I need to up my protein at breakfast, still. So hard to reach 50 grams of protein!)

19. claudia rowe

claudia rowe New Member

It's awful, isn't it? I blend masses of fresh mint and parsley, then pass them through a sieve, add water and voila, a mouth wash. I swish with half a big glass and spit and swallow the remainder. It's delicious and does seem to work better than commercial mouth washes.

I also brush about 6 times a day with a very soft toothbrush (so as not to wear out the enamel).

20. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

Yup. I don't have cravings. It's just ...simple... STARVATION! I'm pretty peckish by bedtime (even after eating a fatty supper and 4T worth of "squirrel candy" - mainly coconut oil, manna and some stevia) and especially now that I've dropped the tub temp a bit more, I'm RAVENOUS in the wee hours of the night. I ignore it, wait for breakfast, and wake up with a headache for a few days. Can't wait til this wild blood-sugar swinging settles down, but I'm noticing a trend: hunger goes with blood sugar swings, eventually goes with a bout of nausea and another weightloss and fasting blood sugar plateau busted. It's a good thing ;) (I hope?)