1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How do you feel right before getting in the tub?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Evo Mama, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

I ask because so far, every time, my heart is beating really hard and I feel a bit of anxiety, I suppose about the initial plunge (which is really not that bad - it's my mind that thinks it will be worse than it actually is). I know Dr. K said that the body can warm up in anticipation of a cold bath, but I don't think that this (high HR) is what he meant.

I'm concerned that this is causing a nighttime spike in my cortisol. Once I'm in the bath, my HR slows down and bit, and by the time I'm done, I'm perfectly calm. Most of the time, I'm so relaxed I don't really even want to get out. I end my sessions because it's late and I need to get to sleep, more so than for any other reason.

I should mention I've only done 3 ice baths so far, so I suspect this response to getting in will diminish in intensity, but I wanted to see what others think re: cortisol and if that could be an issue. I should also mention I have no trouble falling asleep after bath.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? What are your experiences prior to taking the plunge?

What do ya'll think about the possible cortisol surge? Problematic or no biggie since I calm down after I'm in the bath for a few minutes?

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. Have I said lately how much I love this board?

2. LisaAPB

LisaAPB New Member

I don't have a tub so I've been doing showers for almost 4 weeks, and I still get some anxiety and have to consciously make myself relax instead of clench up. I keep reading of people "loving" it, but that hasn't happened for me so far. I love the feeling afterwards though! In the hours after a cold shower, I feel just awesome. I've been using a wrapped cold pack on my back and tummy too, on the drive to work, and that is no problem whatsoever.

3. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

I'm not having the anxiety you're describing, but I do really have to make myself do it. Sort of like mentally prep for it and just do it. Once I'm in, I'm good for 45 min or more because, like you've said, it's relaxing. I would hope that the relaxation would counter any cortisol spike the anxiety might cause, but of course am not sure. Sounds like a good question for Dr. Kruse. I expect this will get easier as your body adjusts and realizes there is benefit to the cold water. I've found that if I read a little of the CT protocol posts or their comments before I get in that it steels my resolve to take a CT bath. Maybe that would calm your anxiety about it somewhat? Or you could always go the desensitization route and go back to face dunks and/or spot-icing, then get in the bath, say, within minutes of each other. The mental system shock would be over by the time you lowered yourself into the water?

4. Groketteliveson

Groketteliveson New Member

I don't have the anxiety either but I also have to get myself mentally prepared. I'm more of the hot bath kind of gal, never really take showers just hot baths. It's been a real adjustment for me. Sure wish I enjoyed the cold baths like I enjoy the hot ones! I try not to think about it too much and just try to get it done daily. Been trying to get it done twice a day but sometimes I just don't have the mental energy knowing what I have to go through.

5. MartiD

MartiD New Member

I actually look forward to them now...sick I know! LOL But I feel really good for several hours afterwards so I think that is the reason. I do a 10-15 minute in the morning and then a longer one at night but I do it early enough that I have at least two hours before I go to bed because I do have lots of energy after. I do sleep good as long as I don't take the bath to late. I have been doing them 3 weeks and my recovery time is much shorter...last night I didn't think my legs and butt were cold when I got out so dh felt them and said I was freezing. It felt like a sauna in our house when I came out. I had no feelings of being cold at all afterwards which is new just in last fews days. Of course it might be due to exceptionally warm weather here and the house is warm.

6. I have found a big difference with showers vs. soaks. I think showers are harder! Plus, I'm a demon with my infrared thermometer and it never gets my skin to the zone (50-55), even when coming out at 45. Seems like just enough time between drops for skin to heat back up.

On the upside, I've lost weight before using CW and the jillian-michaels exercise crazyness. It's nowhere near as awful as heading into another 2 hr workout.

I am going by the "this is a step to adapted" and assuming it won't be so horrid once I get there!

7. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

Good point, Cavemam! I've been through the hours and hours of exercise to get results too, and I'd take a few minutes of 'mental prep' and seconds of sucking in breath over that chronic exercise ordeal any day.

8. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Thanks, all!

I'm going to start reading a bit of the CT blog series before my bath (I printed them out so I can read them by candlelight in my womancave). I think I'll also to try the face dunk to see if that helps calm me down. Hopefully, the relaxation in tub is cancelling the cortisol surge I feel before getting in.

9. Croak

Croak New Member

Don't do the plunge then. Get in the empty tub and start filling with you in it. I think you'll find that's much less of a shock, especially if you're early in the adaptation process.

You can take the edge off even further by having an half-inch or so hot water in the tub when you start adding the cold. The hot water tends to float over the denser cold water, so it acts as a buffer as the water level rises, but eventually reaches equilibrium.

10. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Thanks. I'll give this a try today. Smart thinking, Croak.

11. Clabbergirl

Clabbergirl New Member

This is the method I used initially and I must say it really, really helped make the start of the whole thing a little easier, now that I look back. I've since abandoned it but notice that stepping into a few inches of cold water as it fills still takes my breath away for a second or two and not so much when I sit down and then begin running water in.

12. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Part of my anxiety involves worrying about doing this long term. Once I get in the tub, it's not so bad but I beforehand, when I think I'll be doing this every day for who knows how long, it's more daunting. I've decided it's like changing any kind of habit - think about doing it just this one time; not tomorrow, next week, etc. One day at a time. That's how I changed my eating habits. I didn't focus on what I could never eat again, I'd just think about what I was doing at this meal.

13. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

Anyone tried adding ice after getting in the tub? Seems like it would be less of a shock to do it that way.

Edit: I didn't see Croak's comment. Ditto what he said!

14. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Did you start with the face plunging? There is a reason for the protocol...and for the record I haven't started the cold therapy except for cooling my showers to build up to it, and I'm reading a lot...with the face plunge in ice water, you active the dive reflex and that will lower your heart rate, maybe that could help reduce your anxiety some once you are ready to get in the tub. I like the idea of starting in an inch of warm water in the tub too and adding water while you are in it - it's less of a shock, plus you could gradually get used to it, make it cool for a couple of day, then get colder over time and eventually add ice, and you can wear neoprene socks and a hat while you adjust to doing this...

15. Birdy

Birdy New Member

I am already a swimmer and go through this whenever I get into the water. Just dive right in. If I have to think of anything, I think of how hard it was to be on a cw low-fat reducing diet, and then a wave of relief passes over me. I think of it more like shiatsu. It hurts good, and nothing beats good sleep.

16. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Yes, I started with face plunges, so I've been basically following the protocol. I agree that's key.

17. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Okay, today I ate sashimi, did face plunges for 10 minutes, filled the tub about 4 inches, got in and filled the rest of the way. My heart rate was up a little, but nothing like before. Thanks!

18. Croak

Croak New Member

Cool. They started calling it the Croak Soak over on MDA. :)

That said, these days I just climb right in, but I've been doing CT for over a month now.

19. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

Croak soak! lol

I love it!