1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How do you do raw?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by cantweight, Apr 20, 2014.

1. cmegan

cmegan Silver

Is cerviche considered "raw"? I hope so....

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find it...

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I consider it raw. Of course I can barely wait the 6hrs needed to let it do its thing before eating it so.... in my world its raw!

cmegan likes this.
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

That sounds like a great idea. I never did well with shakes either.

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

I think when we refer to raw fish that is what we are saying - some lemon juice or ACT and a little honey and maybe a little evoo

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I asked Jack this question, and yes, he considers it to be raw.

cmegan likes this.
  6. sooperb

sooperb New Member

For organic turmeric, this site: http://organicindiausa.com/blog/headtotoe-health-with-turmeric/ (It's available in the UK too.)

It was always recommended to cook pork well because in the old days it could contain tapeworms which could survive being warmed but not thoroughly cooked. A lot of the reasons for avoiding pork in hot countries stemmed from pigs being regarded as unclean animals. They certainly love a roll in deep muck lol. There's so much danger to eating anything these days it makes being a "Breatharian" look quite attractive. If only we could get by on water and big lungfuls of clean air :)

7. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Prickly Pears... I am sure those seeds are adding to my gut biome.

8. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Anyone know where to get proper salami in the UK? Would it be at market places? I assume supermarket ones would be bad in some way. Sooperb?

9. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

From the back shed.... Sausages2013.jpg

cantweight, Tanya and Shijin13 like this.
  10. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Interesting question. If you look at the ingredients list on most of the packs of these, they do seem to have some kind of sugar in there usually, but it's usually a negligible amount. See here, for example:

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317--5700-Waitrose farm assured antipasto misto#.U10J-1ySFFI

There's dextrose in that, but it doesn't amount to much.

Is this lacto-fermented? I don't know. I'd have thought it would state "lactic culture" or something of the sort in the ingredients list, which this example doesn't. But maybe I'd be wrong there.

You could try a farmers market, particularly if there are people over from the Continent selling their wares. I've been to a couple of French markets in England, and honestly the quality of the food is in general so much higher than you get in the U.K. it's embarrassing. There was a tent selling biscuits and the biscuits were all-butter. Needless to say, I didn't buy any, but can you imagine that as a matter of course over here? Whatever kind of shortening is cheapest tends to go in, regardless of the health consequences -- or, which is where the French put their foot down, the taste.

It seems you get an Italian market in Sheffield. I'd think that would be worth a look:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/busine....html#continentalandotherinternationalmarkets

Or have a look around online. With a few relevant search terms I found this:

http://www.therealboar.co.uk/salami.html

If you click the "stockists" link you can see they're stocked in outlets all over the country.

seanb4 likes this.
  12. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Oh my that picture brought back some memories!! I dated an Italian guy in high school and we would always sneak out to the shed to make out...lol! So romantic...meats and cheeses hanging, and a blood stained butcher block!

caroline, Shijin13 and SeaHorse like this.
  13. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Thanks gagnrad. I think I will check out the market place tomorrow.

14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Did you bring enough to share with the whole class, ssj3?

Shijin13 likes this.
  15. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Good info Gagnard. Thanks! I do know my meats are very high quality. I get them locally from an organic, grass-fed/pastured Amish farm and I visit often to see the animals. I don't, however, know anything about the butcher and I didn't think about the greater surface area of ground meats. Good points to consider.

16. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Sean I googled additive free salami UK and came up with loads of links. There appears to be an excellent pork farmer in Devon whose salami looks good, downside is there seems to be a minimum postage rate of £11.70 which is excessive for a small salami weighing 4 oz! However, they also do nitrate free bacon and lots of other good looking pork so if the postage was a flat rate for whatever you order then buying several items might make it worthwhile. There are quite a few sites offering additive free salami so maybe just check a few out.

http://www.ellisesfarm.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=445

seanb4 likes this.
  17. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Thanks sooperb. I have found a substitute for it at the moment at the asain market. It's just raw beef strips, high in fat, and fairly cheap.

18. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

The word "cheap" rings alarm bells for me. I'd worry about cheap beef. How do you know it's beef and not, for example, horse?

Now there's nothing wrong with horse in and of itself.

Actually, there's an interesting historical story behind why people don't eat horsemeat in England. It seems to go back to a letter sent out by the Pope back in Anglo-Saxon times. He was anxious for the English to avoid horsemeat, because they'd only recently been converted, and the horse was sacred to Woden, so that any horsemeat likely came from a horse sacrificed to him. This went right back to the Early Church which decided that Jewish dietary law did not apply to Gentile Christians but which drew the line at "meats offered to idols":

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+15:29&version=KJV

Gaul had been converted far longer, so the Pope had no worries about people in what's now France, and consequently the letter never went to them, and the French still eat horse.

The story's told here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anglo-Saxon-Food-Drink-Distribution-Consumption/dp/1898281556/

Anyway, back to in and of itself -- that's the point. Horse is OK, but the horse that was finding its way into the British food-distribution system -- and which was in products from major companies and national supermarket chains a year or two back -- was a worry, because it wasn't supposed to be there. Much of it wasn't fit for human consumption; the animals had been sick; there were residues of veterinary drugs in it, and so on …

I'd be wary of cheap "beef" whose provenance you don't know.

You can get high quality dried beef from grass-fed Scottish cattle here:

http://www.biltong.co.uk

Or you can always buy a dehydrator and make it yourself.

seanb4 likes this.
  19. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Shijin13 likes this.
  20. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

Haha, can't win can I. Thanks for the info. I think I am going to stick with this stuff for a bit regardless and see if I notice any difference.