1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How do you do raw?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by cantweight, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Here's a key piece from the recent blog:

I like broths and use them, but in the evolutionary perspective I think they're suspiciously hard things to make. They seem to have got into Paleo out of WAPF practice -- although you won't hear Paleo people admitting so, giving credit where it's due not being one of their strong suits.

But here's the point: how do make broth/stock without a cooking pot? Sure, you don't need iron, or even pottery, to boil food. You can use a skin bag, or even a lined hole in the ground, and drop heated stones in. But who's going to sit there dropping stones in every few minutes for as long as it takes to make stock, which takes hours? I just don't see it.

And that's man. Hominids certainly weren't making broth. No, the sinews and tendons have to have been going down whole -- and raw or with brief heating.

2. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

My favourites are Wellfleet and Thatcher Island from US waters and Malpeque from Prince Edward Island (a real bugger to open though…they shatter easily)

cantweight likes this.
  3. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I have horseradish blooming in the garden, just have to figure out what to do with it. Guess I just cut off a bit of root and grind it up?

Shijin13 likes this.
  4. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Be prepared Nonchalant..digging up horseradish is a pungent business. You can grind it and add it to a big of vinegar to preserve….or just grate fresh for oyster etc. yum.

5. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I am a huge fan of raw milk! Wasn't even thinking about it for what we were talking about here but of course it should be included. I pick up my milk every Tuesday from a farm down the road. I think it has been a huge player in helping our gut health. I need to stop thinking of it as "dairy" in the conventional sense....sometimes I turn my back on it.

Shijin13 likes this.
  6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

This morning I threw a raw egg into my shake this morning... loving it!

cantweight likes this.
  7. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

If you're a dumbass, I am too ;) I've been trying to do more raw. I've been eating at least a half dozen raw oysters daily for several weeks now and even before that I had them frequently, just not daily. In the past week or so I've started eating beef liver and ground beef very rare - not completely raw, but pretty dang close!

I love pork, but I used to always eat pork roasts and now these damn histamine issues have put a stop to that. Like you, I thought pork had to be cooked as well.

I've done a lot of salmon sashimi too, but even that seems to be bothering me a bit lately. I can't get super fresh where I am, so I order sashimi online where they say it is "flash frozen immediately." Some pieces seem fine and others I have trouble with, so I'm guessing it's all in the handling.

8. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Well - I never thought I would eat crickets and worms ......

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Audrey, are you near Dr. K? You seem to be catching his stutter...

seanb4, Shijin13 and fitness@home like this.
  11. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Supposedly, if liver is frozen for 14 days that will kill any parasites, and it can then be eaten raw quite safely.

The ground beef -- I think that's going to depend on who minced it. If the meat came from a good source and you did it at home and your equipment was clean, that's probably fine. But if you bought it ready done, it should probably be thoroughly cooked. The problem in this case is a surface area one: when the meat's cut up small, there's a huge surface area -- plenty of room for harmful bacteria to multiply on. With a large piece of meat only the outside surface is exposed. Further, once it's chopped small, the outside surface is divided up through the food. Lack of care at the slaughterhouse can mean the outside of the meat came into contact with faeces. And the butcher or supermarket only has to be a bit lax with hygiene: there's a heck of a lot of meat going through their grinders and infected fragments could get left on the equipment.

I don't mean to evoke the disgust response by mentioning dung. If one could be sure the animals were healthy maybe it wouldn't matter:

http://www.westonaprice.org/in-his-footsteps/diet-of-mongolia

But if the animals are not healthy and their gut bacteria possibly disrupted?

My conclusion: nowadays, if you want to eat steak tartare, make it yourself.

Pork? I'd make sure that was fairly well-done, and possibly even use a meat-thermometer to check if you're not sure. There's always salami and air-dried ham -- prosciutto crudo and so forth -- but ordinary pork I would cook. The risk of trichinosis is too great to my thinking.

It's often said that the Jews don't avoid pork for no reason. And, indeed, it may be because of this problem. But it becomes a debatable point when you don't know for sure why they avoid it and no reason is given in the Old Testament. I believe at the last count there were 7 (seven) different theories as to why they don't -- including the intriguing, and fairly plausible, one that pork had perhaps once been a specially revered meat. (Pork is, indeed, highly regarded in many cultures -- the heroes eat it in Valhalla, for example.) Accordingly, it may have originally been consumed as a sacrifice on special occasions -- and consequently avoided at other times. But no one really knows. And in the Bible the answer is simply that "God has said not" -- a heuristic terminus in a traditional religious culture if ever there was one. You don't argue with God: "Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook?" etc . …

Jews do not, of course, "abominate" pigs: they simply don't eat them.

Anyway, historical excursus aside, I'd cook pork well or eat the salted, air-dried stuff.

I'd also cook chicken well. Maybe raw wild jungle-fowl would be OK, but I think modern domesticated fowl tend to be too intensively farmed and there's probably some risk of salmonella if they're undercooked.

BJK77 and Lahelada like this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

No one to play with ....so I thought I would emulate the head honcho.

I did find some nice folks at the pool ..... The man has had bypass surgery ...and the woman has had cancer ....sooooooo ....... They now know all about Jack! And I showed them a pic so they can say "Howdy" at the pool!!

Shijin13 likes this.
  13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I cook pork chops gently now, and there is often some pink in the center. Delicious. I've been on a pork spree lately.

Shijin13 likes this.
  14. caroline

caroline Moderator

What I feel like eating seems to swing widely lately .....sometimes I only want seafood, I do always want raw meet tho.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

been there done that... got the tee-shirt! worms just slide on down....

16. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I just had some salami and cheese roll ups followed by an aloe vera leaf. Interestingly the salami and cheese I could carry on ad inf but the aloe seems to dampen the appetite for more.

Edit:This is how raw and fermented foods creep into everyday life here.
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Picadacordobesa.JPG

Shijin13 likes this.
  17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Aren't we having the most awesome time??!!

Shijin13 likes this.
  18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Why yes we are!!!

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Gretchen - what kind of protein powder are you using? Does it fill you up?

I don't know why jack is so worried .....he is doing so much right!

20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I'm not using a protein powder. I don't seem to do well with them. so my am Shakes when I have them have RO ice, handful of frozen berries, raw nuts or raw nut butter, 1/2 tsp of honey, 2Tb of raw cacao powder, coconut milk, and heavy cream. Threw in the egg this am for a little bit of protein...

cmegan likes this.