1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How do you do raw?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by cantweight, Apr 20, 2014.

1. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I hate to admit it but I have been brought up without raw foods in my diet even veggies were rarely served raw to me as a child. Our meats were cooked to oblivion and usually covered with some kind of sauce (which I was grateful for since the meat was so damn dry!). Canned hams, canned veggies, and rice-a-roni were staples....makes me shudder now.

My children eat everything! They love all kinds foods having been brought up to try anything at least once and more often then not they like what they try. Our meats are medium rare, seafood is as plentiful as the wallet allows, veggies and fruits are eaten seasonally.

As for raw proteins I am stymied beyond oysters, carpaccio, and sushi.

I'm not sure we are ready for high meats and MHS.....wondering how the rest of you plan to diversify your guts with raw food?

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Chrsti

Have you considered making Graved Lachs? Igner had a great recipe that she posted that I use when I make it.

Wild caught salmon (I just buy a filet from Trader Joes) & Defrost it.

then pull out a large piece of parchment paper, and drape it across a plate.
    put salmon (or what ever fish you'd like) on the parchment.
    Drizzle some wild raw honey (Very small amt)
    Salt generously with celtic sea salt
    add herbs of your choice and whole pepper corn

Wrap up the salmon with the remaining parchment paper and set another plate on top - go ahead and put something on it to make it heavy and put it in the fridge. let sit for 24-48 hrs - if you can.

eat to you hearts content!

I'm also a huge fan of ceviche. shrimp, scallops and conch are my favorites!

DH makes some killer steak tartar

cantweight likes this.
  3. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

4. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Do dehydrated meats and fish count as raw?

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Great question... I've got a bunch of heart jerky I just made!!!

cantweight likes this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Gold

I don't know the answer to that..... Would be interested in knowing if they retain all the benefits of the fresh meat and fish? I know that they are a good source of protein as dehydrated ones.....

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

uh.......no

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

but fermented meat like salami is........

seanb4, nicld, Shijin13 and 3 others like this.
  9. Inger

Inger Silver

Technically dried meat at temps less than 40 degree C are raw.. but I do not think they have the benefit juicy raw seafood or meat has. I still feel better eating dehydrated meat than cooked..... Store bought dehydrated meat/jerky is pretty sure not raw

I love to dehydrate burgers for breakfast at 35 degree C over night, they are just dried on the surface... so yummy with coconut oil or raw butter
    but I sure think it is better not to use a dehydrator for health!

To keep meat on a wooden plate in the fridge, uncovered, is a great thing, it dries out a bit on the surface and get a salami like taste after some weeks... SO yummy! Just eaten plain!

looks yummy, no?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After you have eaten much raw animals foods for a while you might not be able to go back to cooked... it is not going to taste ! Just thought I have to warn you...;)

Antonis and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.
  10. Inger

Inger Silver

With raw seafood I pretty much add only raw organic unfiltered ACV and a little sea salt and a very good quality EVOO if it is not fatty (like salmon), some chopped raw onion... and eat. I never get tired of it! It is super fast, and super easy...
    Sure one can add herbs or other spices if preferred

seanb4 and nicld like this.
  11. cantweight

cantweight Gold

To eat fish raw does it need to be wild caught?
    And any farm fresh meat is acceptable raw?

What about pork products, I thought those had to be cooked....don't mean to sound like a dumbass, I was brought up believing raw foods would land me in the hospital...sounds silly now....but it still gives me pause.

I am looking forward to a summer of not cooking :)

BJK77 and Shijin13 like this.
  12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I had the same upbringing... the first time I had ceviche - was when one of my high school classmates made it for my family over spring break. I was hooked. then once I got to Okinawa I jumped in feet first to how they ate!

cantweight likes this.
  13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Inger - this is good to know... I dehydrated my heart jerky at this temp but let it go for 2 days. next time I'll just let it go over night....

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

15. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I need to up my oyster game and start writing down the names of the kinds I like. I seem to go for the smaller varieties....had some with an amazing creaminess to them, a little salty, a splash of fresh lemon....heavenly. Even my kids like them!

The Japanese Mermaids are beautiful, the life in those photos was palpable...

Shijin13 likes this.
  16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Chaos and Havoc prefer their oysters with lemon juice and horseradish!

cantweight likes this.
  17. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Much the same as you mention.

I do sometimes buy and eat the fermented cod liver oil. I realise that's controversial for a number of reasons and whole fermented livers would probably be better, but anyway ...

What no one else mentioned was raw dairy. That's again controversial.

You hear a lot about lactose-intolerance in Paleo circles. That, I think, is overblown. All one has to do is to lactic-ferment the food. Practically speaking, people with quite compromised guts on the GAPS Diet seem to get benefit from home-made yoghurt and kefir and well-aged raw cheeses. There's data for you, as Humpty-Dumpty might have said.

What, it seems to me, is more of an issue is the proteins, in dairy namely, beta-casein -- at least some forms of it. It's been covered here before, so I'll say no more. Keith Woodford's has some intriguing and suggestive material -- quickly summarized here:

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/2009...e-enough-of-an-improvement-over-store-bought/

I have wondered whether if wheat had never been in the diet (and everything else were in order) whether dairy products (of a suitable sort) would not be problematic. I'd suggest the apparently very healthy state of herding peoples from the Ancient Scythians to the modern Nuer -- even the mediaeval Irish who made abundant use of dairy but, apparently, little of cereal grains beyond a little oats -- suggests that it wouldn't be.

I once heard Sally Fallon asked on a podcast two or three years ago (probably by Jimmy Moore) why the WAPF recommends raw milk. (This probably on account of the ban on it by Paleo.) "What is it about milk? What is so special about it?" her interlocutor said. Her response was, "Nothing." She said they were sure that it was important to have some raw protein and some raw fat in the diet, although they didn't know why. All traditional societies ate that way. The WAPF recommended raw milk, because most modern Americans would drink raw milk; most would not, for example, eat raw liver or "rotting fish":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakfisk

True enough.

18. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

If you can source it raw ham like prosciutto or Black forest ,Bresaola or salami are a good extra to up quantity of raw versus cooked.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Salami and fermented meats are great source. Horseraddish is awesome and I think the other thing people for get is organic spices for their polyphenols to sculpt the gut diversity. You can use resveratrol to do it, but rosemary, oregano, wine and chocolate do it cheaper and by the evolutionary blueprint.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    seanb4, Shijin13 and Lahelada like this.
  20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

some of my favorite things... to include curcumin !