1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How Do We Fix How We Think?

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by indigogirl, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Huck

Huck Silver

The brain and memory are making predictions based on patterns stored in memory. For example, if you are driving to the store and the traffic light turns yellow, you automatically expect it to soon turn red. OK, now the light is red and you wait and wait and wait and it is still red. Again, your brain knows roughly how long a red light usually lasts and it starts signalling you when it is about to turn green. If it doesn't, you suddenly start paying attention to the light. So based on previous information (pattern) stored in your memory, the brain is making a prediction of what is likely to happen next.

If your past history is to eat ice cream when you are sad, the next time you are sad, your brain reminds you that you usually eat ice cream when sad. Your brain takes all the little sensory information that comes in, stores it in a hierarchical fashion, and tries to make sense of it by creating "beliefs".

I find that just realizing that my beliefs are my brain's attempt to make sense out of the input I have given it over my lifetime, makes it easy for me to see that my beliefs may not be completely accurate and, in fact, may be wrong. So when your brain tells you something is true (or false), realize that it is just making a prediction based on previous patterns it has stored and organized in your memory.

In computer programming, there is a saying "garbage in, garbage out". The same applies to your memory. Your brain makes no value judgements about the information it stores in memory. It just tries to identify patterns and organize it in a "meaningful" way. So maybe it is as simple as just telling your brain that your "belief" has proved to be false and that now you believe xyz. Just keep repeating this until eventually it is a stronger memory than the one you want to get rid of. Do everything sensually you can do to drive home your new belief.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

MIssing the point........drinking a drink is not the issue......its the context of the drink......For example if you got a compound fracture of your arm would you plan a zip line trip one hour later? Nope.......taking a drink when you are already having issues is akin to ziplining after the fx. The zip line or the broken arm them selves are neither bad.......but when they are tied to a bad context they are horrendous.......bringing ti back to booze......its fine if your OK and without neolithic issues......but when you have them it could be the straw to open pandora's box. A single drink in the AM is not going to kill a healthy person.......but that same single drink could cause you to drive into a busload of kids after a day of drinking. Context is everything. When you got issues doing something that is considered harmless many other times and places could kill you. Circadian biology 101.........this is why humans fail......they do not think like this. They focus on their wants and needs and experiences and never put them in the context of today......the here and now. Things at different times of our lives have different risks and benefits.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This post is brilliant........everyone should print it and tape it to their frig and read it every morning.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Hence, the reason you are..........because this thought is holding you prisoner.........and you allow it. You have the control to do the opposite of your wants and needs. Embrace that paradox.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Thinking is an endogenous hormone secretion of our brain just like any other hormone. If we practice being uniquely spectacular in our thoughts, spectacular will become our second nature. This is why we get the best out of others when you give the best of ourself.

All ruts are self created.......and self cured.

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

You're like my Buddhist teachers. They always say 'the mind secretes thoughts' and you can just watch your thinking... you don't have to believe your thoughts. You can choose which ones to believe/act on. But the mind is going to keep secreting thoughts. It's a lovely, non-judgmental and completely challenging way of embracing our power and understanding our failures.

7. The whole social Milieu is a tough thing to adjust to. I'm very lucky that my husband is on the same track as me - but it was really clear when around relatives this week how far off the "norm" we are. I totally feel like I'm on a different planet. I have to keep my mouth shut and keep my opinion to myself, which usually means I sit there mutely. Came back and went out to dinner with a long time dear friend. Couldn't even have a conversation as our life seems to be so different.

Dinners/Social things seem so awkward now, all of our "friends" gatherings have dried up as they know I won't eat what they have, and that makes THEM feel bad to have me over. I don't want to make a SAD spread for others and then eat something different - wierd. Let's face it, social things revolve around food - and I actually think that is part of human nature and us being social animals. We collaborate to get the food, and we are probably wired to collaborate when we feast on it.

I hope more and more people get on board - the Paleo community is growing. I think we will all just have to make efforts to search out and find what we want. I think the epi-paleo diet can be incorporated fairly seamlessly with just a little effort, but when you are healing something and being different, it's just going to be a little lonely.

The ironic part to me is all the things I used to really badly want - once I travel the road to get there, I find I just don't desire it in the same way. I sure wish I would have enjoyed the journey on some things a little more.

When I was single and forging my path alone, it sure was hard - and I sure was depressed a bit of the time. I don't know how to get around that. Perhaps just knowing what it is will help you cope with it. My motivations now are all about being around and participating in my Son's life. Without that I don't know if I would have made it this far. One thing I can tell you is true - YOU CAN TOTALLY REINVENT YOURSELF. Be a phoenix out of the ash.

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

For the brain to believe, one must speak the affirmative and the present. tense rather than the future. Not "I will" but "I am..." or "I do..." Eventually, those words become reality.......because our brain rewires. Biology allows beliefs to become reality.

Just sitting outside on the dock finishing up the days final consult watching an amazing sunset develop. Seeing this sunset is so dynamic like our lives should be. It doesn’t matter where you are right now, you are nowhere compared to where you might go. No one can go back and start a new beginning at life, but any one of us can start today and make a new ending to our life.

9. AmyK

AmyK New Member

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

After a monster 5 days.........i see the light. Two consults left........and I need a bottle of Margaux!

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

Cavemam -I totally feel like I am on a different planet as well. I am so tired of going to friends house's and they try to force feed you all this junk. Of course - they say - only a little bit - it won't hurt. I used to bring my own food - sometimes I just try to choose wisely [mostly impossible!] but I am really tired of it. I had a discussion with someone about how good fat was your friend and they totally blew me off and said that was ridiculous and unhealthy. This woman was about 120KG and I weigh 57KG /5'6 and I am quite healthy. And CT is a whole different ball game - people just roll their eyes! Why oh why is it normal to stuff as much crap into your pie hole [as Jack would say] when you are in a social situation??? and lets not even mention how unhealthy and overweight all my friends are. I am quite impressed that I can tell some of their problems just by looking at their body shape. Thanks Dr. Kruse!! I find you wind up being pretty quiet and feel like you don't really fit in with all this unhealthy,destructive behaviour.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Are you just about ready to stop and smell the roses Dr. K? Thanks so much for all you do for all of us. I am pretty sure you are working way too hard. If you were to fall off your perch - you would leave a lot of orphans!!!

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

im drinking the Margaux even before the last consult....I'm pooped.

14. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

My entire family came to spend the 4th with me (I happen to have the perfect view of our downtown fireworks!). Young kids, young adult kids, my late 70's parents, etc.

My sister kept asking me what I eat, because she found literally nothing in my pantry. Of course, I had a lot of food to serve, but they all wanted snacks, prior to the appetizers! I finally started telling them about my Paleo lifestyle, high quality protein & fat, no dairy, no processed foods at all. I told her the pantry is full of stuff I eat...see those jars of CO and CO manna? I eat spoonfuls of it with my meals. She stared at me like I had 3 heads.

But my parents, who know about my past medical issues, actually listened intently when I told them that I switched doctors when the one almost forced me into a hysterectomy due to fibroids and that by changing my diet and supplements (i.e. krill oil) reduced the pain I was having to almost zero, thus negating any need for a pointless surgery.

I recently had bloodwork done, and I put together a 5-year history on a spreadsheet, which I showed my family. Tri's are about half of what they were, HDL's almost double. Sure, LDL's are higher, but my new dr. is going to do a particle density on me, and I'd bet it's a lot of large fluffy.

So, I explained to my sister, I just can't keep that stuff in my house anymore. Thing is, I GET to eat steak, bacon, Ghee, CO Manna, salmon, daily. I do not eat any processed foods, so no, I'm sorry, I just can't keep it in the house anymore, even for visitors. Because I don't even want to support the stupid companies that make the stuff.

15. chocolate

chocolate Silver

I feel the same way. We are in an area of California (high desert, lots of section 8 and dried up golf courses and closed swimming pools) that is more food stamp dense than Mississipi and you wouldn't believe how hard it is to buy groceries. And how infuriating it is to hear folks whine about their diabetes, while the junk food in the carts is obnoxious. The diabetes is huge money in this area and they are opening up several more dialysis centers. Right now our area allegedly needs 70 more techs. A school opened for dialysis techs. The patients can get their nails done and their whiskers waxed (oops plucked... can't wax a diabetic) right after their dialysis. I don't like paying for any of it. It also makes me feel stingy about organ donation.... I want a good story. I don't want to know what someone promises to do tomorrow to be worthy, I want to know what they did.

16. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

You know chocolate, I completely agree with you. Except that I look at my parents: mother, T2D and father, quad bypass/multiple stents. The eat "perfectly" according to their doctors. Dad exercises 5x/week with his "cardiac rehab team", who has him on a bike-to-nowhere for 30 mins. They eat low-fat, whole-wheat, no-salt, and I've watched them get progressively worse since their initial diagnoses, approx. 20 years ago.

Mother is a "great patient" and takes her glucophage daily, pricks her finger many times a day, while she makes her fat-free bagel and sugar-free jam. Dad is also a "great patient" and only eats 3-6 oz. of meat weekly, while eating large plates of low-fat pasta with low-fat sauce. Mom is now on Nutri-System, the diabetic plan. She actually called NS to see if all the sugar in the food she was eating was o.k.; they assured her that it was within the ADA guidelines, so she feels great about it! Made me want to scream.

So I see our health care crisis getting worse, but I don't blame the patients. I blame our system, I blame the pharma companies, I blame the corn industry (and the gov't for subsidizing), I blame lazy doctors. Very unfortunately, the Dr. Kruses of the world are rare.

17. chocolate

chocolate Silver

You are right. Some patients are sick and doing everything right. Everyone deserves the truth, or at least the best version of the truth. On an upside...Dr Pepper Snapple, the folks that bottle and export a million gallons of water per day in the form of soda pop from a static aquifer is dumping insider stocks so hard and fast it will make your head swim. There are some waste water issues, but I also think it is the groundswell against the garbage and people being angry they have to pay for it to make people sick. Bloomberg should have been granted that permit for New York... it is not difficult to administrate no food stamps for soda as the USDA claimed. If the FEDs are going to make blood pressure meds otc and folks will have to pay for them, its a little difficult to subsidize soda pop. Kill Grandma and buy soda for the youths.

18. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

This is a poem by Mary Oliver...I think it fits in this thread:

The Journey

One day you finally knew

what you had to do, and began,

though the voices around you

kept shouting

their bad advice --

though the whole house

began to tremble

and you felt the old tug

at your ankles.

"Mend my life!"

each voice cried.

But you didn't stop.

You knew what you had to do,

though the wind pried

with its stiff fingers

at the very foundations,

though their melancholy

was terrible.

It was already late

enough, and a wild night,

and the road full of fallen

branches and stones.

But little by little,

as you left their voices behind,

the stars began to burn

through the sheets of clouds,

and there was a new voice

which you slowly

recognized as your own,

that kept you company

as you strode deeper and deeper

into the world,

determined to do

the only thing you could do --

determined to save

the only life you could save.”

I think everyone here is on an amazing journey to be celebrated....learning to think well is part of that process...circular thinking, ruminated and obsessing are so self-destructive (I have years of experience). Sometimes a good rant can be cleansing, so have at it, but I want to channel as much energy as possible into being healthy. I hold the space of possibilities for others and do my own work....

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thankyou for a beautiful poem SeaHorse. We are on such an amazing journey. It is such a high to know that so much is possible. I have pretty much always had an open mind - led me to some strange places sometimes and spent a lot of money going in the wrong direction - but I am here now!

This is a great thread - thanks to everyone

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

QUOTE=Jack Kruse;36429]im drinking the Margaux even before the last consult....I'm pooped.

No wonder Jude said you were really relaxed! Maybe you should do all your consults with a glass of margaux!! just saying.....