1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How Do We Fix How We Think?

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by indigogirl, Jun 12, 2012.

1. MaggieC

MaggieC New Member

You change your thinking by focusing on what you want, rather than what you don't want. If you're serious about wanting how-tos, check out Anthony Robbins Personal Power. It's about getting leverage on yourself. If you want it bad enough, you will make whatever change necessary.

2. That's a great one. Identify what you want, and work backwards from there following the assumption that what you want is absolutely where you are going. As in, if it was already done, if you were already there, what would your life, your behaviors look like and do it now.

3. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Indigogirl, This is a great thread. I hope you are benefitting from it as I know I am and I'm sure others are also. It is also amazing when one asks a question and is in need and the amount of caring and help everyone brings.

I think by asking the question this means you are "thinking" and that is what is going to bring "you" success. You can't change something if you dont think about it. I think people have to come to their own conclusions and can't just use someone else's thoughts to change their ways. You have to own them. You may not change today but hopefully very soon after you have struggled with this you will just do the right thing for you and not anyone else including your family. It is about you and your future. Before I am able to start anything, I have to think about it and sometimes it is over and over. But then I start owning the thought and start putting words into action and before you know it, I have adopted the change and I now own it. Baby steps, own 1 thing at a time if you have to and eventually it will all be yours. I wish you the very best.

4. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

So true. I used to reject outright advice that contradicted my thought patterns. Over the last year, I have really had to change my way of thinking. I was hit hard a few weeks ago when I asked Dr. K about arthritis problems and he briefly told me to fix my diet. At first I thought, "no way, my diet is clean." After thinking for a couple of days, I realized where I had stumbled and caused the arthritis flare. That was a good lesson to me to remain open-minded, especially when getting advice from people who are sound thinkers.

5. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Huck,

When I was checking out pregnenolone I came up with : http://www.raysahelian.com/pregnenolone.html

He scared the **** out of me about self prescribing pregnenolone. His is only one opinion and I have not vetted him and we have to choose who we believe. That being said I think I would like a Dr to prescribe my hormones (my GYN has me on Biest and Progesterone)...will ask her about pregnenolone, but she leans more towards CW.

6. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

I know this is true Maggie. Haven't read this, but have read enough to know this is true. I have changed other things in my life by thinking differently. This one is so deep seated and the pay offs for me must be substantial b/c I don't really want to change it. Fake it till I make it...

7. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Jennifer, Vkiernan, and Lyndra,

Thank you for being here and for your words. I appreciate your support and thoughtful responses.

I know I'm not the only one in this rut so others are helped too.

8. I'm happy to do so...and of course, I only offer what I have learned from my own trials (which always seem silly once I am over them) LOL!

If you are battling eating behaviors, I can only say that in my experience getting in some kind of war with myself never worked. Neither does any kind of bargaining. The eating is just a symptom, you have to go after the root cause. Humans aren't perfect. Bottom line. We aren't robots. We don't follow commands, not even our own. But we make choices. And when we finally get sick of undesired results, we can chose to stop the self-destructive crap and move on to more zen behaviors. I used to beg my spiritual teacher to "tell me how to control Jennifer, because she is making a mess of things." And he'd always say that when I tired of the b-s, I'd stop. He was right. Although, it was close sometimes. I got into an epic battle with eating on this Leptin Reset. And I gained, way more weight than I wanted to but now I'm at peace and I don't battle the eating stuff. Of course, not starting is the best way to stop....LOL

Good luck to you...you're learning so much about yourself-we all are! You'll get there, I know it.

9. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Just read them, Jennifer.

The first resonated with me more than the second article. I agree with what Mark said about how wanting to change can't just be an intellectual pursuit, it has to be a full body/ mind/ spirit sort of thing.

10. vwaggs

vwaggs New Member

This is very helpful! I am currently struggling with getting back to eating right. I do great all day and then at night I cave into my cravings. I don't know how this happens as I am strong enough all day to resist. I can hear that justification playing in my head allowing me to "cheat". I know only a couple of weeks of being good and all cravings will be gone. I've been there so many times and yet I sabotage myself daily. I need to decide what it is I want and do it. I have no excuse. I have no reason why it cannot happen the way it should. I need to get my head in the game. Why is it my head is there sometimes and NOTHING can shake me, and other times I am so darn weak willed?

11. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Vicki,

Can definitely relate to "Why is it my head is there sometimes and NOTHING can shake me, and other times I am so darn weak willed."

Except I would change the weak willed part. I don't think it's weak willed. I think some "thing", some imbalance, some I don't know what is driving us to eat certain foods...still searching for what "it" is.

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

This is hard. I've read through this entire thread... this happens when you reach the bottom, your lowest point...that point of no return...where you see you own everything thing in your life. some of ppl are able to make the change w/out getting to this point...but most of us can't, we need the kick in the pants to move out of our current paradigm.

Dr Wayne Dwyer is how I began changing my thoughts.... saw him on PBS late one night 6 yrs ago...and a seed took root. have I always cultivated it..no - am I working on it now...yes...

http://www.hayhouse.com/details.php?ref=89&id=3187 this book cemented it for me... start watching nature and emulate it... ask your self what is survival? is it just living, or living well.... what do you want to be - emotional, phyiscally, spirtually... you'll get there its all connected...

13. Pamela

Pamela Gold

I've battled with weight issues my whole life and finding the Leptin RX, CT and Dr. K has been a life changer for me after HCG. The night cravings are real and something happens physically but I will tell you some things I did specifically to overcome.

1. Just don't have anything in the house that may add to the cravings. This is hard if there are others in the home that can and want to eat this stuff. But see if they can do without it for a while. The cravings are probably carb cravings like pretzles, bread, chips etc. Just dump it all.

2. If you really follow the Leptin RX this means NOTHING is eaten after dinner and this rule saved me. I just knew that nothing would go in my mouth as far as food after my dinner. If I wanted my treat I would have my cocoa crack at the same time right when I was done eating. The only thing I would have after dinner was tea and this did save me for a while. There are so many flavored teas out there that are like treats and will handle the cravings. There are chocolate teas, banana, fruits, etc. Whatever floats your boat.

3. At night if the cravings really get out of control just go to bed.

I found that it took a good 6 weeks to start feeling the cravings go away. That can seem like an eternity but if you take each day one at a time you can do it.

4. Eat how Jack says. This means BIG breakfasts, don't skip lunch at the beginning, and eat a good dinner before 7:30pm.

I also sprung for the Dzugan program which I think will be very good at getting my hormones balanced so CT will work how it is supposed to and I'll be able to get the other 10 lbs off I want to.

5. I found this whole Paleo/CT a way of life. If you consider it that then that is how you can change your mind when opposition rises up. Craving kicks in, voices yelling at you to eat whatever, but it is not part of the new way of life, it can't win because then you fail. Honestly if you consider it like your life depends on it you will do it.

Hope this helps.

14. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

For me, the trade-off became no longer "worth it." In the past I could eat whatever I want, feel pretty good, and never gain weight. All that changed suddenly about 20 months ago. A bowl of ice cream splurge would result in 2-3 pounds of gain the next day, and more cravings to deal with, and then more pounds (even 15 pounds in three weeks)! I got so sick of hearing people talk about calories in, calories out. When I had an Adrenal Stress Index done, it showed I had elevated fasting insulin, and therefore insulin resistance. That seemed like a health crisis, and really helped focus my efforts. I also bought a glucose meter, and watched my blood sugar climb to levels it shouldn't, when eating a suspect food. That is/was also very focusing for me, for staying on track. These labs also gave me a baseline, a tangible goal to work with (ie. fix the insulin resistance). Of course, there have since been more labs (and more goals), but having a definitive baseline set of problems has really helped. I don't get cravings anymore, but I do still miss some of the bad foods, and the effect they had on my state of mind. That's when lindt 90% fills in, or unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, and then stevia added to it.

15. well, here's a hug

(((hug)))

what makes this feel not fun? WHy do you think this is not going to be happy or even sustainable?

I am not married, but live with my SO and he is so NOT on board with any of my JK stuff. Tough nougies on him! I am putting my needs first. And really, its not THAT weird. I wear sunglasses if I watch TV at night (which is rare for me anyway) I go to bed early because I have 2 jobs. I don't stay up late for that reason. I was never a big drinker/partier. When I do drink, I have a vodka tonic (or two) and yeah, that's not keto paleo. Yup. But I am the type that makes the Leptin Reset into an ED with all kinds of "rules" so I sometimes will purposely do things OFF plan to let myself know it's ok, I won't blow up if I go out with friends and eat 2 hours before bed. If I stay up til midnight seeing a concert. If I go out dancing with my girlfriends and drink THREE vodka tonics and engage in "chronic cardio" by shaking mah bootay on the dancefloor for 3.5 hours....

I think I spend way less time on the computer now that I live this way. I am outdoors so much more. Been to the beach, several trips into the city on a whim, visiting my parents and friends, etc with LESS social anxiety because I am not having the cravings (and having to fight them) I just don't want to eat their low grade crap. Meh, maybe I AM weird. But I think I have always been a little weird, and frankly, I like that. It is GOOD to be different.

THat said, I would imagine it IS a little hard to meet guys when your life starts to wind down when the sun sets! And if all your friends are big party animals, this lifestyle would be hard.

What about finding people who share your new values? Once I started being verbal about my needs "I can't really stay out late" "I need to get more sleep" "I'd like to have a late lunch, rather than go out for dinner" people are really cooperative and some are even in agreement!

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

B/c for me the other side of health wasn't happiness....

Still looking for the perfect outcome, though. I do think it can be tuff to make it work if the rest of your lifestyle and goals isn't in line with optimal. For me it is, mostly. I never cared much for staying up late... eating "bad" stuff.... drinking.... It appears as I work on my health being optimal, the rest of my life adapts and things fall into place. Not always painlessly, unfortunately.

I think this is a decision everybody has to make for themselves. What is more important and what spells happiness to the individual. Happiness is more important to me than 10 or 20 extra years of life.

17. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

Yup, that's quite the rub. We want so many things that are bad for us. I wish I had sage wisdom to offer instead of commiserating. I think this is the essence of changing ones thinking:

I think we need to make choices with unknown consequences. Some choices are easy. Do I eat the piece of bread? I think the tougher ones are those with social consequences. Do I stay up late with a spouse, SO, or date? The cleaner I eat the more restaurants I avoid. Do my friends stop eating out with me? Are they too uncomfortable when I don't eat like they do. One big challenge for me has been brewing. I am a very good home brewer. It was a serious hobby for years. Many of my friends are serious homebrewers. I still go to brewdays and club meetings when I can. My beer sampling is severely limited. I often opt to not try a friends beer. This is an exceptionally rude behavior on my part. However, all of my friends understand. Those that don't aren't really friends. I had no idea how any of this would work out for me. Sometimes you have to embrace stuff and let the chips fall. I don't know how my thinking changed. I think I embraced the paradox and moved forward.

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

thanks, johnny. that was the quote I needed to read today.

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I think I'm in a similar place right now. Not sure if it's purely driven by me just trying to accept this new lifestyle or if there are some hormone issues behind it, but I'm feeling extremely depressed. I've survived the last few years hanging on by a thread and finally thought there was some light at the end of the tunnel for me, but now I'm not even sure what that means.

I'm ok with the diet. Heck, I've barely eaten more than 5-6 foods for the last 3 years now. My BF, lunch and dinner are usually the same . . . how's that for variety?!?! Considering I used to be quite the foodie, I felt like I had given up more than enough by restricting my diet so much, but lately I feel like I'm having to give up so much more.

I wear the glasses at night. No problem there. Don't watch TV anyway, but surfing the net is my vice.

I think my biggest struggle right now is with social situations. I'm just kind of tired of being labeled the freak and now I'm doing it to my kids too. I tell myself I'm doing what's best for them and I do honestly believe that, but I don't want them to be ostracized either. I miss my friends. I miss being "fun." I feel like I'm always the downer now. Even if I don't say a word, it's always "don't eat that. B will have a fit!" - me being B of course! "Fill us in on the newest diet fad, B!" All the mocking and teasing is just really getting old.

Worse yet, I was fairly new in my faith when I started reading Dr. K's blog. Factor X has kind of made me question so much about what I've been doing in the last year or two. What scares me more than anything is that I feel like my DH has just jumped hook, line and sinker into it all and doesn't really care to hear anything about factor x or evolutionary biology. He's always been such a skeptic, I can't understand why the sudden major pull to be so one-sided in his beliefs. We've never had anything separate us before, always been on the same page and I'm afraid this could actually drive a major wedge between us. I can't ignore the fact that evolutionary biology is starting to give me my health back . . . though I have to question what it's really worth anymore and at what price I'm getting it.

Sorry I rambled so much August. Just letting you know you're certainly not alone.