1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

How do I change my children's diet?

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by itsoversugar, Jul 25, 2012.

1. itsoversugar

itsoversugar New Member

I have 2 sons, ages 7 and 11. We all eat the standard american diet. Ihave type 2 diabetes and for some time now have suspected my oldest son may have it. I took him to the doctor's office with me yesterday to get him checked out. We went over his symptoms (extreme fatigue, increased thirst, dizzy spells), along with some other things he's been experiencing and the dr wrote up an order for bloodwork. I have to take him to the local children's hospital for that.

He is overweight. He weighed in yesterday at 183. I also am overweight, needing to lose 100+ pounds.

I'd like to change our lifestyle as a whole family. Get rid of the processed foods, sugar and junk. My youngest is picky but he does like most veggies. Oldest would exist on all protein meals if I'd let him. How could I do this with kids who are use to eating pure crap all their lives?

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

BACON its the gateway meat.

The other thing you can do is talk about why your changing the way your eating - and have a family "spring cleaning" event and throw out all the crap together (Grains, boxed cereal, snacks ect) then go the market together - look at the veggies, fruits, meats and seafood - and talk about why they're good for you and what they can do for you. Have them Identify what looks good to them... on a list. Then go home - don't buy anything at this point.

combine your lists - then look for recipes together on the internet, cookbooks etc and make a meal plan, for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

then go buy the foods on that list and when it comes time to make the meal involve them in making it! If all they want to do is eat meat (seafood and grass fed/finished beef and pork) and fat - let them. There are days if my kids don't want veggies they don't have to eat them. Eggs are cheap and easy food. If you can afford pastured get them...

additionally - if they don't eat what's for breakfast, then they have to wait to eat it for lunch, same goes if they won't eat it for lunch it becomes dinner.... eventually if they're hungry enough the'll eat it. Will they bitch, moan, and complain - but you will see a marked improvement in their over all moods and behavior, and eventually they'll be asking you for foods you'd never thought they would...

3. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Your children are about the same age as mine. I think this is a really good age if you didn't start from infancy. What I've found is that they are old enough to understand everything Dr K says, as long as it's put in simplified terms. For example, my kids now laugh and say 'keep your poop where it belongs!' anytime wheat is on offer somewhere. Anytime they felt resistant, I just explained what we were eating/not eating a certain way. Same with using only candles at night or not heating the house. If I couldn't explain the reason, I felt it was my duty to learn and then explain. Dr K's motto is question everything, so their questions were honoured. I work really hard to find foods they like and (though I'm in the minority) don't force them to eat what they detest. But taste buds change and as the months have gone by they now readily eat things they wouldn't eat before (they both now love squid, salmon and soups made with bone broth, for example).

We started by eliminating all legumes, wheat and sugar, except dark chocolate and the occasional treat I make from home with coconut flour and honey. We then eliminated all the other grains. Then almost all dairy except yogurt and the occasional organic cheese. Then we started stepping up the seafood/fish. I also started adding in foods for 'treats' we hadn't had on hand before... toasted pumpkin seeds with sea salt, organic coconut chips (plain, no sugar or oil) so they could have things around that felt like a splurge. We always have olives on hand, too. I have not removed nightshades for them. And they don't eat mackerel head smoothies!

We also aim for a big breakfast, which takes the pressure off the constant hunger for the rest of the day. Both my kids are very active but their lunches are small... we concentrate on breakfast and dinner. Neither liked bacon at first, so we did smoothies (in which I 'hid' raw egg yolks and CO). Now they have a variety of things they like.

The key for us was that BOTH parents were on board AND that all questions were answered. Also, I did not expect them to be happy about the changes. As adults, we struggle with some of the changes we need to make, but it allows for good dialogue.

My kids are now very fluent in terms like melatonin and brain chemistry and understand why we make the choices we do. Their biggest struggle to date is that none of their friends eat this way/live this way nor understand. But as they get more confident (and feel better!) they just smile. As I said elsewhere, my 8 year old has now educated all his friends on why fish head smoothies are super food (even if yucky)!

Good luck.

4. Linz

Linz Gold

I changed my diet radically seven years ago for health reasons but I kept cooking rice and potatoes for my family and I bought bread for them and didn't say much about what I was eating (I was not sure it would work and my doctor said it would not!). Within months they were all leaving the starches and I noticed sweet snacks in the cupboard were still there and going stale - they still liked them but I think they just didn't feeling hungry enough between meals to go looking for them.

I had always given the children bacon/eggs for breakfast and they did not notice the extra fats (many of the wrong ones at first) in everything else I cooked. The changes in eating behaviour and perception just happened and my daughter was very quick to tell me she had no energy if she ate like her friends when she first left home. I always encouraged them to taste everything without pressure to finish and both ate shellfish happily from a very young age.

I wasn't trying to change anyone but myself and the speed the rest of the family followed me was amazing. If I had been told I 'had to ' change the children's diet first and stop them eating sugar I think I would have failed miserably. There are still some less than healthy snacks here and I never comment if they are eaten but most are not. Seven years ago I wouldn't have been able to resist finishing them all myself - so how could I have kept them from the children.

5. Dovid

Dovid New Member

I have three kids,their diet always chocolate,even like the milk shakes or energy drinks they dislike the bread even not use any vegetable or meat.They are physical so sensitive and soft and hard body wise someone suggest me what should be given them sothat their body change into strong posture.