1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Horses Grass, And Fat???

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Anne V, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Anne V

Anne V Gold

2. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

'Climate change' is causing equine obesity? Gimme a break. More media hype.

According to Telegraph article: "Warmer and wetter climates also mean greater grass availability."

They will likely have to revisit this narrative after the first few years in a solar minimum cycle. My guess is that horse owners will be scrambling for very expensive hay to keep horses fed after serial snowmageddon winters and shorter/cooler pasture growing seasons.

Duane Baumgartner and Anne V like this.
  3. Anne V

Anne V Gold

i did not get it thats why i posted it . thanks for your answer

4. Hi Anne. Glad youre here and kicking like a mule. Metabolic disease is a big issue for horses. Ive seen ads for low carb hay. Big variation in metabolic requirements for horses depending on work load or lack there of. Also horses are fed an unnatural diet of of grain, and high energy forages like alfalfa hay, which they dont get fed in nature. I love horses, but believe they are very hard on pasture due to large size, sharp hooves and tooth structure. If the grass is growing faster, maybe we need more ruminants like sheep to cycle it more efficiently.

Anne V likes this.