1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Horse dies after Melbourne Cup race

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Josh (Paleo Osteo), Nov 4, 2014.

1. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

A lovely lady I know became a human Osteopath after wanting to improve her skills in helping horses. Unfortunately for me she is now too busy working on people to spend much time on the horses.

Many equine physical therapists also qualify for human treatment. Its great because they can often treat the horse/rider combination together as the issues between them correlate since they are trying to harmonise their movements.

For instance - my daughter and her horse are crooked the same way - so they reinforce each other's crookedness. However I am naturally crooked in the opposite direction - so when I ride that particular horse it straightens both of us.

Shijin13 likes this.
  2. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Gretchen, Dr. Deb's Website http://www.equinestudies.org/

Y'know, she actually runs 5 day long horse dissection clinics to help people learn this stuff as well.

Shijin13 likes this.
  3. it is exactly what happens in gyms with humans too

Anna likes this.
  4. i see this a lot in horse riders
    the silly coaches are always scorning the horse etc, but it is only a reflection of the human
    and vise versa is also true

Anna and Shijin13 like this.
  5. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Viggo Mortensen (yes THAT Viggo) commissioned Dr. Deb to write an article on the origin of the horses that were in the movie Hidalgo . . here . . .http://www.equinestudies.org/origin_mustang_arab/origin_mustang_arab_barb_pdf1.pdf

Shijin13 likes this.
  6. Linz

Linz Gold

Thanks Da-mo,

The rug is just what I've been looking for and it seems delivery across the world could be a lot less than a magnetico! I rarely cover here either but fighting the mud in winter can be a losing battle.

Deb Bennett's stuff is on my ( ever expanding) reading list but I've just found some useful information on hyoid function from her blog. I've been working with a young horse with temperohyoid osteoarthritis for a year and I love your description of mental status. It reminds me just why I was beating my head on the wall over the horse. She is confident and very well in tune with her herd, and on her own terms she felt like a ready trained gymkhana pony when we started her but I could become that (dysfunctional) flying kite without any warning or rational reason. Thankfully some unusual blinking gave us a clue on where to start and the signs are much diminished with cs therapy, red lights, careful nutrition, circadian improvements and much else gained here.

My herd was just like a shoal of fish when the trees blew down last winter.

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Thanks for sharing @Da-mo really appreciate it.

one more thing to add to me reading pile!!!

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I would imagine that if both horse and rider are out of alignment - that the combination of the two together increases risks of injury especially when running at full speed with an inefficient gait. I never really considered that before. So if a Jockey takes a spill in a previous race - he/she is going to be out of alignment on the next horse, even though he's been cleared medically by the stewards. This may result in a dissonance btwn the jockey and the horse which may directly impact performance of the horse. I do think that there are special horses who can mitigate this dissonance but they are very rare.

9. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Jack, your wife would be interested to hear this... She probably knows that a lot of the Disney movie, Secretariat, was filmed in and around Lafayette, LA. Believe it or not, it turns out that they used my grandmother's house to film a ton of the scenes because it was a 1960's contemporary house with the right look... My mom got to meet Diane Lane and John Malkovich, etc, while they were filming, etc.

It's bizarre for me to watch that movie now because I basically grew up in that house and it's all over the movie. Immortalized, lol. My grandmother was a huge fan of horse racing but died a few years before all this happened, but I think she would have loved it. Secretariat was an amazing horse. The you tube clip of the CBS coverage of the 1973 Belmont is amazing too. I love watching that as well.

fitness@home and Shijin13 like this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I have said that horse was the best athlete to ever live.........thank god it was before EMF. Funny how we have not had a horse triple crown since 78 huh?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Shijin13 and NeilBB like this.
  11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

He was amazing to watch even in video.

Add EMF, bad food, drugs and crappy training methods and you get a triple crown drought. Though this isn't the first triple crown drought. Secretariat broke the first drought which was 25yrs. now we're going going on 28 yrs...

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Neil that's so cool.

13. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Yeah, the only bad part is that I was too busy working in AL at the time to get to go back home and meet Diane Lane. LOL

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Work is a giant suck sometimes....

15. Anna

Anna New Member

A couple of things I'd like to share.

First, it was through my love of horses and inturn getting involved in the 'show' scene in Australia about fifteen years ago that I first discovered or rather made the connection to circadian mis match, light cycles, and season in how they affect us. Being a 'showy' our horses must not have long thick hair! many back then used to think that putting a ton of rugs on would do the trick, but the smart ones (or so we thought we were smart, but knowing what I know now, it was stooopid !) would stable our horses under lights. In Australia our show season is winter months - so automatic lights were timed to go on at 4am -9am then go on again at 5pm and stay on till 9 0r 10pm. This allowed for the horses not to grow a 'winter' coat. Making this connection back then regarding the reason why their winter coats did not grow all started to make sense - my best friend Cyndi O'Meara (Changing Habits) began writing about this all those years ago........................

And secondly, I am 48 years old, never ever, not once have I participated in any shape or form anything to do with the Melbourne Cup - no office sweepstakes, no girls luncheons, no attending on the day, NOTHING! I refuse to participate or rather encourage and contribute to the immense greed of the human being whereby a 'horse' is raised and treated with such disrespect and down right cruelty. Syndicates are just that, a bunch of greedy people whom do not care for the welfare of the animal. I've seen two year olds coming off the track with blood pouring from their noses! this is not on in my book. These majestic creatures were genetically born to run, BUT when nature intended them too, when they are ready. The use of steroids is non horsemanship, this is cruelty!
    In defense to the small time breeders and trainers - they love each and everyone of their horses, they care for, love them and train them as nature intended. Once retired from racing, they are retrained - we have the most amazing retrained thoroughbreds competing in high level dressage. The racing syndicates couldn't give a blue arse fly what happens to their horses once they break down - shoot them because then the syndicate receives an INSURANCE PAYOUT! Plus on top of this, these small time breeders/trainers are in the minority, how can they compete with big time syndicates with trillions of dollars to make their 'super' horse into a HORSE MACHINE?!

Grrr, don't get me started.......................

16. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Dont know if I've already mentioned in this thread, but they use the same light trick on "shuttle stallions"so that they can breed from them in both hemispheres and have a year round breeding cycle.

I've also witnessed the horses trailing blood from their noses after a race. I once asked a vet how much blood a horse can lose and it not be life threatening - the answer was something like 10 liters.

Shijin13 and Anna like this.
  17. Linz

Linz Gold

Red Rum won the Grand National three times, second twice and lived until he was 30!!! He was trained on the nearby beach by a very small scale trainer who has recently produced a second winner in this race. Now buried at the winning post. Read his Wiki entry. Top of my best athlete list.

Retraining is improving here Anna. Quite a lot of practical demonstrations and information about how to re-school, several organisations doing this themselves and then re-homing. High profile competitions for ex-racehorses and pairing of some of the best with well known riders when they retire to raise awareness of what lovely horses they can be. Much still needs to be done and of course many of the horses surviving to change career were not started as 2yos.

I saw a very interesting abstract of a trial done recently where a group of horses deprived of forage for just seven hours (24hr v 17hr forage avail) had hugely reduced fertility. Something like 25% fewer in foal at first service. It was reported on horse.com.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Anna likes this.
  18. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

The big diffence here is how someone views the horse - For me a horse is a companion animal, for many a horse is livestock . . . and that includes a lot of people competing them in other sports too besides racing.

That said, there are people that keep livestock humanely and others who dont.

Im sure there are those in racing too who view their animals as more than livestock - the problem is that what you are surrounded with usually becomes what is considered normal.

Sometimes seeming attrocities have silver linings - I've been to lectures and learned valuable things about horses which were a result of research done pathologically on "waste"animals - especially in the areas of diet, metabolism, parasites, podiatry and laminitis.

BTW, the limiting factor for longevity of a horse that is otherwise healthy is how long his teeth last - something to think about.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    NeilBB, Shijin13 and Anna like this.
  19. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

If any of you horsey people have never seen the documentary movie "Buck" - see it. Not just about horsemanship - inspirational life about healing people too and how intuition and sensitivity can make the smallest thing to one person the biggest thing to another.

Marie likes this.
  20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

@Da-mo Thought you'd appreciate it... one of the local horse owners have a mama and baby. Over the past month mama and baby (7-8mths) have been turned out with other horses. last week baby was turned out with the other horses, mama was not included. Watching the older horses and baby interact has been fascinating. initially with mama in the paddock - baby tried to get away with a bunch of stuff - but the other horses wouldn't allow it.... and mama didn't intervene. Within a week baby found its footing within the herd dynamic. after 3 weeks baby now's part of a small 4 horse herd (he's #4) and he's fitting in nicely...