1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Holy Cow...Where to begin?

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by anna cortes, Sep 21, 2014.

1. anna cortes

anna cortes New Member

Ok brand spanking newbie here...just found this amazing group and resource. Woohoo! Listened to podcasts so far. Head is spinning. Looked at my Bun/Creatine and looks problematic.

Wasn't sure where to begin though because see other signs things are out of whack yikes not sure where to begin...

I'm 50 perimenipause. Exercise, eat healthy, 10 pounds from ideal since menopause symptoms kicked in. My symptoms, severe stomach bloat, constipation bristol 1-2, not a good detoxer? not absorbing nutrients? low stomach acid, low libido, little white specks in my stool, blurred eyesight, morning blood glucose on meeter 102-112, urine ph acidic, 8 mercury fillings i.e. heavy metals? hormones out of whack per labs.
    Checked for sibo, lactose, glucose malabsorption and tests were negative.

BUN23
    Creatinine0.71
    That's a Whopping 32 - Drink min 64 oz water daily - wondered why I still felt thirsty.

POSITIVE FOR ONE COPY OF THE A1298C MUTATION

Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy 57.8 supplement with 10,000 iu

Vitamin B12 880 flagged as high

DHEA - 111.3 range 10-221

Candida albicans, IgG117 flagged as high

Candida albicans, IgM146 flagged as high
    Have been off refined sugar and carbs for 45 days now but still white film on tongue.

HORMONES
    TAKING PROGESTERONE CREAM 0.5 ML 2X'S DAY
    was on T3 but doc took me off for a few months and just retested to see where I am below.
    T3 71 flagged as low
    Testosterone<12 flagged as low
    Free T3 2.1 range 1.8 - 4.6
    FSH 26.0
    Free T4 1.0 range 0.7 - 1.8
    T4 5.8
    TSH 1.200 range 0.400 - 5.500
    Reverse T3 4.7 done 2/14 as was flagged as low

Triglyceride 37
    Cholesterol 187
    HDL Cholesterol108 flagged as high
    VLDL Cholesterol7
    LDL Calculated72
    Non HDL Cholesterol79 flagged as low
    RBC 3.78 range 3.90 - 5.20m/uLL flagged as low

Please share any ideas on where to begin on the forum so I can develop some kind of plan to getting my insides functioning optimally. ;-)

Ooodles of thanks!
    Anna

2. Josh

Josh Gold

Reading the book is the best foundation. We:)lcome

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^this......and you need to jump into the EMF series. That is where your environmental survey begins.

[​IMG]

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome Anna! it would be great if you would start a journal in the journal section. Dr. Kruse needs context to direct you.
    Tell us about your environment etc. non native EMF? what do you eat? family? work?
    How is your sleep?????

Get Jack's book - The Epi-Paleo RX ...it is the first two years of the blog.

5. anna cortes

anna cortes New Member

Many thanks Josh, Jack and Caroline! Will get on all those suggestions!

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Welcome Anna!
    Bun/creat is 32? Yes, you have an EMF problem. Keep up the hydration, though. Do you drink reverse osmosis or spring water?

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you begin at your environment.

8. anna cortes

anna cortes New Member

Yes I drink reverse osmosis and put Trace minerals in it sometimes.
    I just received Genova stool sample results today which showed no parasites (yeah) but very high yeast among other snags. The scan file is too large to upload. The cleveland clinic integrative medicine dept told me today they don't know what else to do to help me as nothing they have suggested has worked....for this yeast all they could suggest is diflucan or nistatin...no thanks. They also referred me to new functional medicine dept that is opening in October. Am working on the EMF...

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Have you tried nude sunbathing for the yeast?

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

What happens in a mismatched enviroment? (Light or Carbs)
    When we live in a mismatched environment to light or carbs, we can not compensate well, so what happens? We begin to lose estrogen and progesterone in our brain and it begins to collect in our gut, our fat cells and in testes and breasts. The excessive estrogens can’t be cleared by the liver and the excesses lead to neolithic diseases when this occurs chronically. Light levels correspond to food sources everywhere on this planet. This also implies we are not well adapted for traveling long distances and seeing different food sources. Our gut was not designed for intercontinental travel it appears. Maybe this is why jet lag is not well tolerated? Moreover, it ruins the cortisol/DHEA/melatonin axis where light is a major player in the brain circuitry and this alters our gut flora. This maybe why the environment we grew up in has such fond memories for us and why we seem to adapt awfully fast when we return to it? The information in the food sources are transmitted to our brain by the gut flora’s action. There is a transaction of micronutrients that happens at our gut and our immune system sits right there to check the score. The brain is also paying attention to this accounting too, even if modern science is not. This dance is very complex, but fascinating to me.

So how is this signal transmitted in the brain?
    Simple, it is the hormone response of the epigenetic signal given to us from the gut flora.

Our brain has more neurons in our gut than any other place in the body. We often call it our second brain. Moreover, the brain does not have a hard wired circuit to every single cell in the gut, or every bacteria in the gut, so it transduces the signal of these 100 trillion cells using a hormone response to modulate this signal. This is how the environmental signal of food is transmitted to the neural signal of the brain’s alphabet. This is why in Brain Gut 5, I told you hormones are the Rosetta Stone for deciphering what is best for the brain. I told you there to think of food as hormone information, not as a metabolic fuel.

We can decipher the message once we understand the language of the gut flora to the brain. This is why understanding hormones is critical to obtaining health.

Becoming an Epi-Paleo Rx Translator of Heath
    When we see an altered hormone panel in clinical practice it might signal something small now, but it could morph into something you mind might not even comprehend. If this continues long enough you will wind up with some major health changes that become very complex and very difficult to treat. These diseases are treated only when they become firmly entrenched and obvious to most clinicians but the majority of patient suffering from them have the problem persist for years undetected until things worsen.

Today’s analogy to bring this home
    Non Geek Alert: Today, we are going to use a candida infection (fungus) of the gut to illustrate for you how it can radically alter your healthy gut flora. We generally ingest candida from foods and organic matter from the environment but our immune system does a rather good job of keeping this yeast under control when allostasis is maintained between our environment and our hormones. When this balance is tilted out of our favor, we wind up favoring the situation that supports colonization from the yeast, and if the situation is allowed to persist long enough, it could become a frank sub clinical infection of the gut. If left longer still, it could become a systemic problem that could cause major diseases like breast cancer or prostate cancer. That might seem like a pretty big jump in disease risk to some people, but understanding how it all happens is important. It shows you how important great gut health is to a modern human’s physiology. The most common way the gut flora is altered in our modern world is via indiscriminate carbohydrate and antibiotic use. These create opportunities for candida grab some real estate on the gut flora’s monopoly board.

When a candida infection begins, it is because there are too many simplified carbohydrates being eaten at the same time as the inoculation of the yeast. This favors its growth because candida metabolizes sugars. If the diet is truly seasonal in carbohydrate exposure this is not a usually a problem, but in our modern world, carbohydrates are now available 24/7 and they are quite bio available and cheap. Modern medicine also uses antibiotics in many clinical situations which might be over kill. I have personally tried to curb my own use of prophylactic antibiotics before and after surgery now because of this issue. I have personally found the most effective way to stop infections is to re-engineer my patients gut flora about three weeks before surgery using a special protocol and cocktail that I developed. I follow this up with a strict Epi-Paleo Rx, I call the EPCOTx Protocol that is designed to limit inflammation. Check this link out to get a good idea of how complex things can get.

This is done to dramatically lower inflammation and leptin levels. Candida is known to flourish in high leptin level states (inflammed). These people also tend to be leptin resistant. When leptin levels are high it activates the inflammatory cascade via cytokines. This is all mediated through poor intracellular signaling of NF kappa beta, which is the ‘911’ number in a cell.

So who suffers from Candida?
    This availability causes the gut flora to simplify, in both species of bacteria, and in shear numbers. We normally have 100 trillion gut bacteria and about 150-250 species of bacteria/yeasts/parasites in a normal gut. When the mix simplifies it decreases and changes the bacterial microfilms that the gut bacteria grow on. This is the perfect opportunity for candida to take over a gut. There are many ways this can happen, but I am just explaining to you the two most common ways it happens in our modern world. Diabetics have the largest battles with candida. This is why T2D, candida, and an obesity type flora tend to occur together. The situation for T1D or a Moby/LADA diabetic is quite different.

And what symptoms do they have?
    We already mentioned T2D are a big portion of the sufferers. But what are the symptoms of a candida infection and altered gut micro-biome? Symptoms vary wildly between people because their gut flora does as well, and this makes it a tough diagnosis for many physicians. Most MD’s are taught to look for the low hanging fruit symptoms, like a white patch on mucous membranes that can be scrapped off to show a red map-like covering of the surface. We see this is in the aero-digestive tract and in the genitourinary system often. The more “zebra like” symptoms can be chronic fatigue and loss of energy. They can be related to depression and progress to regular or migraine headaches, bloating, excessive gas as well. One of the more interesting ones I see often as a neurosurgeon is pain or tightness in and between the shoulder blade area. This is commonly seen in degenerative disc disease (or herniation) of the neck and in gallbladder disease. An astute clinician must be aware of the unusual presentation of this yeast infection. That ability was more adept in the days before evidence based medicine. A cookbook approach, like evidence based medicine, won’t find these things often in my view. Candida can also contribute to brain fog, mood swings, memory loss, itching, multiple region joint pain with normal X-rays, chronic indigestion, ulcers, many sinus conditions and cancer generation as well.

Who else is at risk?
    When the situation becomes entrenched by a western diet, modern antibiotics or any chronic stressor, we might see the development of many diseases we see in modern man. Chronic candida can also contribute to irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, multiple food intolerances, chronic heartburn and gastric acid reflux disease (GERD). This can get so bad that a form of candida can become invasive and burrow into organs and be deadly. I have taken care of many brain abscesses from candida in those people. Since candida albicans produces alcohol and acetaldehyde in its normal life cycle, it may also contribute to many other subtle dysfunctions, including general toxicity, liver dysfunction, nutrient deficiencies (Cu, Mg, Zn,I, Se) and more as I mentioned above.

Any production of alcohol means that it will cause the formation of higher levels of estrogens like estrone and estradiol in many tissues of the body. These hormones continue to collect and overwhelm the normal detox pathways in the liver called phase 1 and 2 detoxification pathways. You can think of phase 1 as being responsible for breaking things down and then sending the raw materials to phase 2, which builds new substances from the raw material by adding molecules to them (this is called conjugation).

Phase one detox is carried out by the P450 enzyme system in the liver. A diet low in protein-all too common in women who are trying to lose weight with a low-fat diet can dramatically slow phase II detoxification. Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including ibuprofen, also slow phase II detoxification.

rlee314 likes this.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Want some easy clinical symptoms to pay attention too to fix your inner guru? Does garlic make you sick to your stomach? Does your urine have a strong smell after you eat asparagus? Did you suffer from toxemia during your pregnancy? Did your Vitamin D level drop quickly? Any of these symptoms might indicate problems with phase II estrogen clearance. (Phase 1 depletes methyl donors (low B12 and betaine) and phase 2 has defective conjugation) When these pathways do not work well it can cause many radical changes in the remainder of the flora to continue to co evolve and create the perfect storm to cause cancer in the thyroid, pancreas, ovary, colon, prostate, breast, and in the uterus. These tissues are all epithelial based tissues. This is why cancer is exploding in all these organs. The recent explosion of thyroid and pancreatic cancer has caught my profession off guard. It makes complete sense to me because I understand how circadian mismatches can kill us. (Channel Steve Jobs, Walter Payton, Gilda Radner, Joe Piscopo)

Candida infections often are linked to insulin resistance and epithelial cancers with massive depletion in fat soluble vitamins (A,D. K, E) and micronutrients in foods. You might be seeing why now why all these cancer types have risen dramatically in the last 112 years. We now live in that perfect storm. Colon cancer and breast cancer rates have been growing at exponential rates over the last 50 years in particular. Curcumin, the compound that gives turmeric its yellow color, is interesting because it inhibits phase I while stimulating phase II. This effect can be very useful in preventing certain types of epithelial cancers. This is also why it is a vital part of my EPCOTx PROTOCOL Rx for the gut.

rlee314 likes this.
  12. BTA

BTA New Member

Candida over growth is a result of heavy metal toxicity. A natural protective measure set in place. Try to kill the candida and you have heavy metals running loose causing damage.

13. anna cortes

anna cortes New Member

Thanks Jack and BTA for sharing the info. I will be doing a heavy metal test with chelating to double check that since I have 8 fillings. Just home as a traveled to Arizona to see a doc there for help. He suggested Nistatin for the Candida as did the Cleveland Clinic doc…not sure where else to turn to for help other than this Nistatin for the Candida... I don't eat a lot of carbs or sugar or have not had lots of antibiotics so not sure where this extreme candida is coming from. I have had parasites but have cleared those. I have gone to work clearing the EMF issues.

Now that I am back from this doctor trip I am regrouping. Will go to the journal section as suggested.
    Attached Organix Comprehensive profile shows all kinds of stressors and not sure where to begin based on these findings.
    Thank you I greatly appreciate all you do.

Attached Files:

14. BTA

BTA New Member

Just my n=1 I had to have 10 fillings replaced with bio-compatible material. I was lucky to have Dr Dino do the dental work - he was the best natural dentist in the world. He developed a method to inject ozone into the jaw bone and used Neural Therapy in the mouth. I had a qualified doc do EDS to see what material is safe & what's not. As far as I know from my own experience you can't get rid of candida & you can't do chelation until the fillings are out.
    I know Jack is ok with old fillings being left in. Each tooth has a meridian it's tied to in the body. Fillings & root canals are very dangerous. Traditional Dentists laugh at this. Dentists are not taught biological Dentistry.

[​IMG]

15. anna cortes

anna cortes New Member

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting. On the chelation my local doc would not give me the chelated test but the one I just saw did. I just sent a note to verify that he fully understands that I have 8 fillings before I dive in.

16. anna cortes

anna cortes New Member

No I haven't …wasn't aware of this as a remedy. Will do a search to learn more. Thanks!

17. Jude

Jude Gold

Don't miss that recommendation.....do read JK's Epcot blog....looks after the gut flora!

18. louise

louise New Member

this is so interesting as I have noticed much less smell after asparagus since following j.k diet and less emf. didn't realsise why until I saw this

19. louise

louise New Member

I also make kombucha and water kefir as I don't eat fermented foods........yet

nicld likes this.
  20. Inger

Inger Silver

Nude sunbathing is excellent to repair and boost hormones too, BTW :) I do it all the time..... that and raw seafood together is a BOMB :) :) :)
    on certain places of your body you will feel like it goes electric...........:eek:

nicld and caroline like this.