1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

HIT swimming

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Raiken3712, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I have a 22,000 gallon pool and was going to try some hit on and off but I don't really know the specifics of it. I know you go all out for a certain amount of time and than rest, but I don't know how much time for either. Also should I go all out for a certain time and than stop? Or just swim around slowly during the breaks...

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. My understanding of HIIT workouts are that they go like this:

1. Maximum intensity for 30 seconds.

2. Recovery for 90-120 seconds (only rest as long as you have to). Recovery meaning moving around gently but not stopping movement. You could tread water, do gentle strokes, etc.

-Repeat this cycle 6-10 times, depending on your level of fitness (starting out at maybe 3 to 5 times for the first several workouts). it’s best to start with a 5 minute warm up at a comfortable intensity. After the workout, finish with a 5 minute cool-down period before you stop moving completely.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Easiest way to do this swim as fast as you can from one end of the pool to the other. Rest no more than 20 sec repeat 8xs and you've got your self a basic tabatta sprint.

4. Jimmy82

Jimmy82 New Member

Basically swimming is the best exercise to do u know it really helps in preventing un-necessary fats from the body and i often used to do swimming when i m at home and on't have busy schedules...........

I think that it is most suitable for you if you know how to do butterfly stroke .........

It helps a lot in maintaining you body fitness and yeah i you should start from one end to another and keep on doing this for 2 to three times and after some time just take some rest and again do this procedure unless you really didn't want to stop it........

5. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I don't know how to do any of the strokes...without feeling awkward....I usually just do hands to the sides....I don't even know what its called if it has a name...its not an official stroke or anything.

6. Jimmy82

Jimmy82 New Member

i agree with you .... it happens in the beginning....

At first you should try to make yourself comfortable in the water .... I mean just push yourself forward and completely relax ......

Because you must not have to think about swimming at first and

then try to float on the water by simply just holding on to your breath..

Coz as long as oxygen is inside you you can not drown and then slowly try to move forward...

I m sure that you could swim if you had belief on yourself that YEAH i can do it...

7. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I know how to swim....I was saying I don't know how to do specific strokes...with proper form at least. The four competitive swimming strokes are freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly. These are what I'm referring to.

I know how to swim just fine...just not in proper form using those strokes. I swim doing what my dad taught me a long time ago which is similar to a breaststroke but is slightly different.

8. Rodney

Rodney New Member

Hi All,

Swimming is a great calorie burner exercise to reduce and maintain body health. Swimming increase energy levels and improves muscle strength, flexibility and balance. Swimming is great to deal with joint and muscular problems. Swimming prevents from obesity, joint problem and heart issues.

9. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I have been swimming in 50 deg water. Alternating laps between crawl and breast stroke. Swim hard as you can for 2 min rest, repeat. I do this for about twenty minutes. The most amazing exercise. Swimming in cold is hard, but very effective.

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

When the kids have swimming lessons - I take the opportunity to do some laps. after I warm up I do 8x25Meters for as fast as I can on a 30second interval. I'm finishing the 25M in just under 20seconds - so I'm getting about 10seconds rest - very similar to a tabatta sprint. of 8 cycles of 20seconds fast all out w/10seconds rest. I'm hoping to increase my sprints by another 4x25M in the next week or two...

best work out ever

11. I use a snorkel, all that head rotating to breath seems a little to frantic. I find it so nice and calm and easy to get into a groove without having to worry about breathing. . .less splashing and I can keep more of my body in the water and can push as hard as I need without drama.

I wish I could listen to music - has anybody got a system to tunes in the water?

12. Marccus

Marccus New Member

if you really dont have much idea then try to have a good trainer with you as he will help you a lot and also will also keep you safe from drowning in the water

13. Scaccutrarawn

Scaccutrarawn New Member