1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

History Channel show re the Younger Dryas

Discussion in 'Factor X' started by TerrierMom, Jun 1, 2012.

1. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Interesting History Channel on Demand (if you have Direct TV).. "journey to 10,000 B.C.". Talks about extinction of mammoths, the Younger Dryas climate change event (cold snap), and disappearance of the Clovis culture paleo Indians in N America. We know about KT when the dinosaurs went extinct. We also know from ice cores that the Younger Dryas happened over one generation not over eons. Scientists have found nano diamonds in the sediments which suggest an extraterrestrial impact (very high pressure needed to form diamonds). Carbon spherules found in sediments of the time contain these nano diamonds. Also found are "fullerenes" (named after Buckminster Fuller) which are found in asteroids and comets. They are found in the KT event and now also in the 10,000 b.c. Event which happened 13,000 years ago. Evidence suggests that the impact was in the ice sheet, which of course melted leaving no evidence of a crater.

Comet theorists think its impact separated the glacial lobe that then diverted freshwater melt water from going down the Mississippi to instead going up the St Lawrence River to the Atlantic, messing with the ocean warm/cold currents and causing the ice shield to advance once again, causing the extinction event. Dust storms erupt (geologic evidence of deposition of very thick fine dust layers about this time) because the earth was cold and dry, killing vegetation. Another time when it would have been advantageous for hominids to be able to very quickly adapt to the cold.

Archeological evidence shows large animals were wiped out but not people in these ice age conditions. Clovis paleo Indians moved west and adapted as they moved to the new environments. Prehistoric humans in the western US are known to have come from Europe and also from Asia based on genomic evidence and differences in tools also suggest two cultural sources of these humans. Scientists speculate the cultures combine and share information. This is Folsom people named after Folsom NM where their tools were first discovered.

They found a Folsom "winter house" from the time of the younger dryas. They built semi permanent structures to winter for longer periods than their ancestors, using aspen trees as frames, mud as plaster, built during the dry (winter) season. So on the mountaintop you had water from snow, a shelter, and warmer up above the valley floor (since cold sinks), and you can see your prey..the last megafauna game animals, the bison.

These are our ancestors...before they began agriculture. Was building their structures the beginning of the mismatch, causing them to stay in one place longer and make agriculture more logical? ... One has to wonder...

The show points out that our paleo ancestors had options in controlling their environment that animals didn't have. For sure after reading Jack's blogs, this has me seeing things through a whole different lens......!!!

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Sounds really interesting...I have Direct TV and will have to watch it. Thanks!

3. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I agree I'll have to see if I have access to this. Thanks for the write up Kruising!

4. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Keeping with the TV review theme of shows with interesting info related to this blog:

"United STATS of America" hosted by the hilarious Sklar brothers... (also available ON DEMAND for Direct TV users on the History Channel, check it out)

Episode: "Size Matters"…and the food for thought:

In 1776 the US was the tallest nation in the world, almost 2” taller than European nations! By the 1950's, we were STILL the tallest (5’9”) Rick Steckel (height expert) at Ohio State university attributed this to our diversity of foodstuffs, land to grow the food, not living in congested, disease-ridden cities (disease stunts growth), etc. Steckel says it is all about the food we put into our bodies. He says the colonists ate 4000-5000 calories per day back then with high protein content. (Bet they had more cold exposure than we did too…we know calories in/out is not the equation if your BAT is working)

But TODAY - we are only #9 in height in the world. Denmark, Netherlands, and Sweden are the tallest now (6'1" or thereabouts!) - (hmm don't they eat a lot of deep ocean fish..... just sayin...). Also above us – Canada, Czech Republic, Belgium, Germany, Norway…. (up north, eh? Wonder what the genetic component is there? Or is it diet, cold, or all of the above?)

In the 1950s, we stopped getting taller, and started getting FATTER. 20 years ago, there was no single state with an obesity rate above 15%. TODAY - there is only ONE state with an obesity rate BELOW 20% !! By 2018, we are projected to reach 40% of Americans who are obese. (hmmm sped up epigenetics in the last 20 years much?). In 2010, we were the world's FATTEST nation. 3.8 MM americans are over 300 lbs... with 400,000 of them above 400 pounds. (are we surprised though, knowing what we know about epigenetics and the Standard American Diet?)

Why did we get fat? Our food changed. They looked at American Sumo wrestlers who purposely gain weight to see how they accomplished this. The US Sumo champ (410 lbs) trains in Idaho “you get big on potatoes” he says (surprise!!). Idaho produces 13 billion lbs of potatoes yearly (we could each eat 53 potatoes a year at that rate!). Average American eats 110 lbs of potatoes per person in some form or another, annually!! (any surprise we are so fat?). Potatoes haven’t changed but the way we consume them HAS changed. We eat them in convenience foods instead of as a fresh potato (chips, fries, etc). They note the unprocessed food made us taller, while the processed stuff made us fatter. (they don’t take into account our sped-up epigenetics though which is accelerating the Neolithic diseases we experience).

40% of all sandwiches served in America is a burger. Americans drink 50 gallons of soda a year per person!

Average American male is 5’10”, 190 lbs. During late 19th century, size 33 waist was average for males… today it is 39”. Size of average dinner plate today is 12”—but in 1980 they were 10”. Theater seats have grown 2” wider in the last 30 years. Couches, chairs, even COFFINS are larger now than in the 50s.

The show also notes changes in the work we do. Technology changed in the 1950s and now only 2% of us are farmers and 80% of us are office workers. (in 1790, 90% of Americans were farmers). The show notes that we burned calories for a living back then (you and I know there is more to the equation than calories in/out though) and compares the calories burned for farm v. office workers. (I suspect farmers were also out in the COLD and activating their BAT!!). The show goes on to count the # of calories burned in the typical farm v. office scenario (again we know that’s not the whole story, but, they don’t know that….) and state that the excess calories are stored as fat (yep, if you aren’t burning them off as free heat because you’ve been doing CT!)

They conclude we need to eat better, exercise more, and eat smaller portions….

5. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Note: History On Demand is channel 1269 for Direct TV subscribers....

6. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Also check out Brave New World with Stephen Hawking, episode "Biology". I happened to have DVR'd this one, it is not one of the on-Demand episodes (see Science channel, and check back On Demand to see if the episode shows up there). I commented on it in the CPC4 blog comments (around 180+) but here is some more detail.... ( I missed about 15 min of it so this is not complete)

Discussed: ECM = Extra Cellular Matrix, an advance in healing... we have this in the womb and it builds us, and as small children, it repairs wounds.. but then stops working. It recruits stem cells to build healthy tissue instead of scar tissue and is now an experimental treatment for muscle regeneration (they harvest ECM from pigs bladders). The test subject was injured in Iraq and is now walking running working out etc (from a non-walking state prior to insertion of ECM in the damaged muscles in his legs).

Discussed – Roberta Bonder, astronaut, first neurologist in space. She talks about regenerative cardiology. Test subject had a near-fatal heart attack at age 50 and his heart is very damaged and scarred and will not operate well for the rest of his life. Salamanders self-regenerate – can we find a way to help humans do this? Teams are working on it now. They looked at heart cells of newborn mice, which they found continued to beat and grow and replicate even in the lab, outside the body of the mouse! They performed open heart surgery on a 1-day old mouse to see if it would regenerate if they damaged the heart (removed 15% of the left ventricle).

They used ice to place the mouse in suspended animation (!! Sound familiar!!) and did the surgery. Within 3 weeks, its heart all grew back normally and functioned normally. This will only work for the first 7 days of its life. They are looking for the switch that turns this ability on and off. Can we turn it back on again? (I bet they find out how, but you better hope your stem cell depot is not depleted when they do find it, or that we find a way to repopulate our stem cells after we have burned through them with chronic cardio and obesity!)

Discussed – how finding out about genetics of a select few might help us all live longer life. Dr. Aarathi Prasad in San Diego is a geneticist looking at what goes RIGHT with our genes rather than what’s wrong with us – genes to help us achieve longevity. They studied a 91 year old lady who’s had no major diseases in her whole life. She does yoga, tai chi, dancing, never smoked, claims to have a stable weight, active social life. Also an 82-year old lady who smokes like a chimney, refuses to eat fish, loves Mcdonald’s, has frozen waffles for breakfast, and her only exercise is the 30 steps in her house – but she also never suffered from a serious disease. They call these people the “Wellderly” –and are comparing their genes to those who died earlier. They found a particular gene which they think may determine lifespan… by making your die sooner (not live longer). Aging is considered a response to environmental stress (oxidative damage etc). As you age the damage accumulates and you are less able to repair damage.

They are working on gene disruptions on worms, flies, mice, to tweak the gene to see if these animals become “wellderly” like the ladies profiled, and they think they know what genes modulate the aging process. With the target being…. DRUGS to target those genes (of course!! Wonder who is funding that research?? Would like to see if diet, cold, etc also affects those genes? Who wants to volunteer for that study!)

Next segment: Scientists are understanding the way DNA affects the health of future generations – EPIGENETICS (got MY attention!!). Speaker is Dr. Robert Winston

Evidence shows that what we do affects not only our genes, also affects our children and their children. A layer of multiple switches that are turned on and off as a result of our lifestyle (epigenetics). Dr Winston thinks epigenetics will be the major advance in healthcare of the next decade (understatement much?!?!)/ Prof Marcus Pembry – pediatric geneticist- studies this. He looked for evidence that parents pass life experiences on epigenetically to their children, using an unique database in Bristol Universtiy in which 14,000 pregnant women and their partners agreed to take part in a study, which would follow the development of their children – study is called “Children of the 90’s”. Data has been collected over the last 2 decades including biological samples as well as lifestyle data.

They looked at when the father in the study started smoking to see how this affected the sperm of their sons. Over 5000 smoked, with 166 smoking before the age of 11. They found the future sons (but not daughters) had increased obesity at age 9 through puberty. This held true even taking into account other factors. Another study in Sweden showed that fathers who overate as children fathered sons who were obese and also had male grandchildren who were likely to die early.

What about the female line? Scientists studied the effect of stress in females during pregnancy. To achieve this they looked at the results of the 1998 ice storm in eastern Canada which caused a prolonged outage of power (over a month) – enduring sub-zero temps without power. Study subject was 7 months pregnant at the time. Suzanne King (psychologist McGill University) experienced the ice storm for 7 days, found her blood pressure abnormally high thereafter and realized it was stress. So she found 150 women who were pregnant during the ice storm and is studying their children: cognitive development, IQ, language; behavioral development (depression, anxiety, aggressiveness), and physical development. They found women who had the highest stress, the worse the outcome in the child. Conclusion that the exposure to stress hormones caused an epigenetic effect. Now they will look at the grandchildren.

They note that the lifestyle you choose to have, good or bad, not only sets an example to your kids but can also BIOLOGICALLY affect the way their genes work, the way they develop, and their health.

7. ok, watched the Younger/Dryas show. It took em awhile to get to the meat of it - but good info. I watched with mini-me, so we called it a science lesson.

I'll look for this one.

I've been loving all the evolution/anthropology stuff after this damn site!

8. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Episode: "Size Matters"…and the food for thought:

In 1776 the US was the tallest nation in the world, almost 2” taller than European nations! By the 1950's, we were STILL the tallest (5’9”) Rick Steckel (height expert) at Ohio State university attributed this to our diversity of foodstuffs, land to grow the food, not living in congested, disease-ridden cities (disease stunts growth), etc. Steckel says it is all about the food we put into our bodies. He says the colonists ate 4000-5000 calories per day back then with high protein content. (Bet they had more cold exposure than we did too…we know calories in/out is not the equation if your BAT is working)

Wow that's a lot of calories, but they also did a LOT MORE manual labor, especially in the North they had to chop a ton of wood just to survive winter....

But TODAY - we are only #9 in height in the world. Denmark, Netherlands, and Sweden are the tallest now (6'1" or thereabouts!) - (hmm don't they eat a lot of deep ocean fish..... just sayin...). Also above us – Canada, Czech Republic, Belgium, Germany, Norway…. (up north, eh? Wonder what the genetic component is there? Or is it diet, cold, or all of the above?)

I've read studies that said that it's the dairy products that Scandinavians eat that has contributed to their height...could be fish too...

In the 1950s, we stopped getting taller, and started getting FATTER. 20 years ago, there was no single state with an obesity rate above 15%. TODAY - there is only ONE state with an obesity rate BELOW 20% !! By 2018, we are projected to reach 40% of Americans who are obese. (hmmm sped up epigenetics in the last 20 years much?). In 2010, we were the world's FATTEST nation. 3.8 MM americans are over 300 lbs... with 400,000 of them above 400 pounds. (are we surprised though, knowing what we know about epigenetics and the Standard American Diet?)

Staggering statistics!!!

They conclude we need to eat better, exercise more, and eat smaller portions….

Makes sense to me, plus all the stuff we're doing here!

9. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Yes with paleo and CT we will naturally eat less. And no need for chronic cardio when our BaT is fired up releasing all those excess calories as free heat! Something I suspect the pioneers also experienced....exposure to cold and BaT activation... why use up all that wood you worked so hard to cut? They couldn't just crank up the heat in their homes, they had to crate the fuel source too. I think one of the reasons they could eat like that was their exposure to the seasons!!

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I remember the younger dryas episode on the history channel. I watched will on maternity leave w/the boy. Good stuff I could watch H channel all day long!!!