1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

High BUN(Urea) to creatinine ratio - other causes?

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Katejc, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Katejc

Katejc Silver

Hi Jack,

I was wondering if there are any other reasons aside from bad mitochondria that might lead to a high BUN/ Creatinine ratio? Or if problems with kidneys might impact this?

I'm really struggling to crack that one despite quite some effort. I've made great progress since meeting a member of yours in October 2017.

I heard you say on a podcast once that this is something you see consistently in EHS sufferers - and I am one. Below are some examples since I've moved out of the city of Sydney into a low density area (lower Blue Mountains) and have been working from home so basically controlling my blue light exposures well and RF EMR levels well:

April 2018 = 16.4
    January 2019 = 18.1
    April 2019 = 21.1

I have a H mitochondrial haplotype so absolutely no problem getting my Vitamin D levels up - 123ng/ml in April this year. But I'm homozygous for the a1298c MTHFR variant - and have one of the VDR variants (also homozygous).

I have a low carb diet in winter (now) and add a bit more carb going into the warmer months; lots of good seafood (some raw); filter to remove fluoride from water; regular CT (eg: 15 minutes at about 50 degrees F last night in the bath; 15 minutes on Wednesday in the National Park in great winter sun at 46 degrees F); good light hygience including AM sunlight.

I do regular fish bone broths but decided to up the anti and have recently added your Survivor Soup to the mix with beef bones - great for winter. This has been great for my gut.

Just wondering. The next step is to see if DDW for a 3 month period moves the dial at all on this number.

Thank you!

JanSz, Lahelada and Alex97232 like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Many things cause a high BUN creat ratio.......dehydration and kidney disease top the list and now 1G to 5G exposure are the biggest risks.

Katejc and Alex97232 like this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Dehydration = the loss or removal of water from something

generally it is thought that it could be remedied by drinking more water
    sick person in hospital gets IV that should prevent him from getting dehydrated
    no, one can drown in water and be dehydrated at the same time

So, overall above is not what @Jack Kruse talks about.
    When Jack says dehydration he means that there is an insufficient amount of matrix water being produced in mitochondria.
    Have I got it right (at least directionally)?

One can drink the best mineral water or straight DDW-25
    and be dehydrated.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    Katejc likes this.
  4. Katejc

Katejc Silver

Thanks Jack.

Following on from JanSz's comment - yes I understand the connection to insufficient matrix water being produced by my mitochondria. Given I have done many things to improve mitochondrial function I had wondering if I should be considering other things.

And I had thought DDW would be a good next step (available through MitoHQ in Australia) - as my undestanding is that this helps with hydration.

Alex97232 likes this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/50-ppm-ddw.23932/page-3#post-275162
    First, the question in the link above hopefully will be ironed out.
    Second
    Unless I am mistaken,
    there is a misconception or misunderstanding when discussing DDW.

I see that you as about everybody else are ready to drink as much DDW as personal finances allow.
    And that is an incorrect emphasis.

The real goal is to induce your mitochondria to produce max amounts of DDW.
    Really big difference.
    ------

There are more details, I just want to clarify what is the proper goal (the way I understand it today).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Katejc and Alex97232 like this.
  6. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

When I was doing Buteyko breathing almost 24/7 my Bun/creat ratio was low. It come up quite a bit since I stopped for 6 months. I’ve just started incorporating again. Good luck

Alex97232 likes this.
  7. Katejc

Katejc Silver

Hi Stephen W - I haven't tried Buteyko breathing - thank you for that suggestion ... I'll give it a go :)

Stephen W and Alex97232 like this.
  8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Is this breathing way any similar to what ddcenters.com recomends?
    https://www.ddcenters.com/breathe-right-info/

Alex97232 likes this.
  9. Stephen W

Stephen W Silver

Not sure JanSz, I’ll look into it later. Buteyko is basically shallow diaphragm breathing through the nose, retaining more carbon dioxide.

10. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Yes, DDC recommends this Breathing method

11. DLO

DLO StarFish

Personally my BUN/Creatinine hasn't changed much after 8 cases of DDW. Still in the low-mid teens

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

BUN/Creatinine is supposed to present the status of hydration.

Wonder if testing osmolality is not a better (or at least much easier to get), (direct) indicator?

then
    following the osmolality thought
    urine's Specific Gravity is directly proportional and highly correlates to urine osmolality (in those with properly working kidneys)

Using a cheap ($22) refractometer, one can check his/her hydration status many times during the day.
    -------------------------
    That may come handy for those who follow the restricted water (low Deuterium) intake hack (less or equal 1L/day)

That may not be a good indicator for those who follow the hack of drinking 5-6 liters (high Deuterium water). For them checking osmolality may be appropriate.
    I think that people with nephrogenic problems, especially with diabetes insipidus Rx, should abstain from tinkering in this area.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 8:04 AM
  13. Katejc

Katejc Silver

Interesting to here that. I've been doing a lot of Cold Thermogenesis and plan to check my bloods again sometime soon and see if that has impacted it at all.