1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hi, I'm new to all this

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by ShellyFM, Apr 24, 2021.

1. ShellyFM

ShellyFM Recovering night owl and blue light addict!

Hello! I'm new to all this and am a bit excited and overwhelmed at the same time. I recently caused myself some horrible health concerns by taking on a second job and working so much at a computer, getting on average 3 hours of sleep a night since about February 2020 to November 2020. I realized I needed to pull back in late November/December and heal myself. I've actually been making really good progress considering but am now on an ongoing quest to maximize my family's health and trying to figure out balance while still achieving my career goals if possible. I just found Jack Kruse a couple of weeks ago, and the part about the sun, seeing sunrises, minimizing artificial blue light all makes so much sense.

I'm 39 with 2 young kids and am trying to learn all this, which has been a bit tough considering my day job has me at a computer and I'm trying to minimize computer time outside of that. I would love some kind of easy getting started info if anyone has their top articles or resources to recommend that would let us quickly implement changes without a ton of research necessary. We just made a diet change to plant based in February that we decided to try for 6 months to see how it goes, and I have to say that I haven't felt better in many, many years. So, ideally for now, I would prefer not to change the diet again. I really think our family needs the sunlight changes.

I have so many questions so far from what I have learned but will save some of them until later in hopes I can find the answers in what's already available. I joined the patreon site and have been reading the blogs and listening to youtube talks while I work.

For those of you with young families, any tips on how you incorporate this with the whole family? Does watching the sunrise literally mean getting everyone outside when it's completely dark and waiting until you can actually see the sun in the sky? That seems so early for little ones and such a long time to be outside. I've read/heard on the Kruse resources where it's getting outside first thing for about 15-20 minutes, but that doesn't seem to be the same as watching the sunrise. How do you handle that when you tend to get up early like between 5-6, too?

Ok, for now, that's all I'm going to ask even though I have a ton more questions. Thanks if you've read this and have any advice or encouragement to offer!

2. ShellyFM likes this.
  3. Richard Watson

Richard Watson New Member

Hi Shelly, welcome.
    I cant see the point getting out there before its above the horizon, for me its about 20mins after once it gets above the trees

ShellyFM likes this.
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Shelly and welcome.....

Do you have Dr. K's book? EPI-PALEO RX

Where do you live?

What do you mean by a plant based diet??? Do you mean vegetarian?

Do you belong to Jack's Patreon group?

If you become a silver or Gold member you will have access to monthly live Q&A's with Jack.

If you want fast and easier to understand info - listen to all Jack's you tube interviews.

Jack is involved with QuantumHealth .TV - it is an excellent resource - check it out!

ShellyFM likes this.
  5. ShellyFM

Thanks, Caroline!

I have a digital sample of his book that I've been looking through but need to buy the full one.

I'm in central Florida.

We eat mostly organic vegetables, fruits, beans etc with minimal grains. I guess it's considered more vegan but I know many vegans who aren't necessarily eating whole, mostly unprocessed foods like we are.

Yes, I joined Jack's patreon site but just as bronze as I'm still getting my bearings with everything. However, I don't see how I upgrade. In patreon, it just shows the other tiers as the various webinars. How do I upgrade to the other levels?

I've been listening to just about every youtube video I can find on him.

I signed up on the quantumhealth tv site but haven't done anything with that yet. I'll check it out.

John Schumacher likes this.
  6. Freebird

Freebird New Member

Welcome Shelly.

ShellyFM likes this.
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

You can upgrade your membership on the home page.

ShellyFM likes this.
  8. Jacks

Jacks Gold

The patreon site is separate from the other Optimal Klubs. The other levels are accessed through the Dr. Kruse's website.
    https://jackkruse.com/
    Scroll down to the bottom.

Welcome and good luck. I have older kids which is also hard - I've been trying to get my two out in the sun more and as soon as they get up.

ShellyFM likes this.
  9. BenJenkins

BenJenkins New Member

I go a for a walk with the dog when the sun is coming up, that's now my routine. Then I'll take breaks throughout the day and sunbath or work in the garden.

10. My kids are naturally early risers and when we are getting morning sun and evening sun etc that piece falls into place. We don't always get up at the same time but head out once we do.
    I wonder whether you are open to at least pescatarian? I used to be a member, strayed, and then came back, and there is something magical about dha, sunlight and good water. I am eating lots of shrimp, sardines and salmon and my kids eat salmon, tuna and a several times a week spoonful Nordic naturals cod liver oil (not ideal but they'll do it more consistently than eat the fish at this point. They love good water and being outdoors, so those pieces are easy sells.

ShellyFM, Richard Watson and caroline like this.
  11. ShellyFM

Thank you! I kept looking for it on patreon.

12. ShellyFM

We've started to eat breakfast outside, though that's usually around 8am but sometimes closer to 9am. Trying to get the timing better. We're trying to get out for a few minutes every hour, but that doesn't always work. It's definitely all a work in progress.

13. ShellyFM

I'm open to anything but because we just made a dietary change in mid-February, and it's working for us, that's the only reason I'm hesitant to change that part right now. My husband committed us to doing the plant based for 6 months and re-evaluate how we feel at the end of that. So, we're 2.5 months in. It's so very hard to get him to make a healthy diet plunge. So, I really don't want to sway his resolve. I do have to say I'm very nervous about adding animal protein back into our diets as I feel like we ate mostly high quality, grass fed animal protein before our recent diet change, and it didn't seem to do well for us.

I'm reading Jack's book and don't think I've gotten to water yet, if it's in there, but I've heard him say spring water is best. However, we live in Winter Springs, FL, which is known for its horrendous water. We've actually had EPA get involved and such. So, about a year and a half ago, we installed a whole house system and a 15 stage drinking water purification system from Radiant Life. Not sure how that rates with all this, but I've noticed an improvement since we installed it. It adds minerals to the water and we add more.

We're working hard to get as much sunlight as possible around our day jobs. We go outside in the morning with the kids, eat our breakfast, and let them play a bit before we have to start our working day. Some mornings, it's just 15-20 minutes and others it's over an hour. We try to get out a few minutes each hour, though we're not perfect at that, and take a 30 minute walk in the sun mid-day. Then in the evening after work, we take a family bike ride most days while the sun is getting lower before it sets.

I feel like the small changes we've made have been great but also that we have so much to learn and still implement.

Richard Watson likes this.
  14. We sucked it up and buy glass bottled spring water for primary drinking water. Take care of yourself first. As you improve others will either come along or not.

ShellyFM likes this.
  15. Jacks

Jacks Gold

Yes - I wasn't sure either until recently. I've been subscribing to the Patreon site for a while and looking at Dr. Kruse's Twitter feed, though I am not a subscriber myself to twitter. One of the great things about being an Optimal Klub member is that you have access to all the previous Q&A's which is a great resource.

It is hard for me to get my older kids out as they are in online school all morning with minimal breaks. My son is starting to see some benefits of getting out in the sun both before school and in the afternoon, but I think it will take a while for him to recover completely. He used to ride his bike to and from school, sit out at lunchtime with friends, and be outside briefly between classes, and then with school sports spent a lot more time outside compared to now. At least the sports are starting up again.

ShellyFM likes this.
  16. ShellyFM

What brand?

Yes, I'm doing my best to take care of myself, but am very happy my husband seems willing to come along for the ride so far. :)

Christine Renner likes this.
  17. ShellyFM

I'm pretty sure silver or gold is in my near future. I really want access to answers to my questions.

We have the opposite problem with our kiddos since they are younger. They would rather spend all day outdoors and our 6 year old would prefer that over her homeschooling. I'm sure that will change some as they get older, but I'm grateful for it right now.

18. Great that he is willing to come along for the ride so far.

We alternate waters...Mountain Valley, Gerolsteiner and Pelligrino at the moment. I also like Starkey.

19. Jacks

Jacks Gold

We use Mountain Valley too and Peligrino.

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I tested some of the waters.
    Those waters are expensive and are rather useless as far as deuterium content.
    The least expensive RO water in Costco is the best.
    About $2.50 for 40 bottles each 1/2 liter
    As far as deuterium, it is good to remember that daily we intake about 2 liters of water while breathing.
    So deuterium content of humidity in the air plays a significant role in overall deuterium intake.
    upload_2021-4-30_17-44-31.png