1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum. After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum. Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis. Sorry for the Inconvenience, but we hope you understand that this is needed to prevent the community from being ridden with malicious users!

Hi hordes, meet Courage!

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Scompy, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Scompy

Scompy Gold

One has to wonder, where are the hordes of teachers speaking out about nnEMFs? Oh yeah, they are zombie hordes looking down at their cell phones and tablets...(facepalm)

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Teachers could care less........they are more worried about their job not anyone's health due to their job.
    Mystic Rose60 and Scompy like this.
  3. Scompy

Scompy Gold

I agree... plus, tablets and devices make good babysitters for them so they don't have to teach. It's quite pathetic what the school system is turning into... any teacher with half a brain will stand up to their ilk.
    Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy Gold

Despite the fact that I clearly remember the education majors in my college days partying at least 6x as much as any other major as well as the fact tat I was never invited, I'm going to go ahead and throw out a little defense of teachers here Scompy.

This is kinda built-in and not so much a teacher issue to me. Think about the sensationalization of every few startups that go big and the fact that nobody hears about the other thousand that fizzled or flopped in the same year. With this kind of messaging out there people, parent specifically, seem biased toward thinking that STEM (science technology engineering & math) must obviously mean someone sitting at a screen designing or analyzing something. This does have a trickle down effect. I have no doubt that a school district full of parents like anyone here on the forum would be different, but go to a school and look at what the parents themselves are focused on while waiting to pick up their kids.

I think many of the teachers really do think they are helping STEM development by involving tablets. Anecdotally, I spend a ridiculous amount of time working with my boy on his academics and it shows in his grades. I'll admit to a mito no-no of sorts. When my son had spelling quizzes I'd work with him and his progress was slow as molasses. After a couple weeks i wrote a very simple terminal program that would speak the word, wait for him to type it, and eventually weed out what my son nailed regularly. It also showed him a little graph at the end of each session. The graph was ugly and made up of a sequence of "*" characters like "*******" where each ugly little character accounted for a 5% hit rate. I'm convinced that once my son saw this little "live" graph it was game on and his score immediately moved for the 80-90% range to 95-100% range from then forward. Judiciously applied, the technology is really helpful.

Everything that is being pushed onto teachers these days is promoting the STEM (aka 0.005% of startups) perspective. The reason that is being pushed is that it's being requested explicitly or implicitly by parents or an attempt to "parrot" some other "more successful" school district. Light, water, and magnetism for my family and the herd can run wherever it wants. It won't catch us under it's hooves.

Alexis De Tocqueville wrote that all Americans seemed to posses “a clear, free, original, and inventive power of mind.” We're still building "better mousetraps" and getting our fingers stuck in them along the way. Not to get all eugenic on you, but my advice for all of us is focus on your own.

Every time I'm feeling particularly quixotic I just reread the story of Ignaz Semmelweis. He tried to help physicians stop spreading disease and ended beat to death in an insane asylum.
    fitness@home likes this.