1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hey friends!

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by MrPinkies, Apr 5, 2013.

1. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

Hi! My name is Kate.. I'm new to the forum stuff, but, I'm getting the hang of it- I think?!?? :)

Anyway... I'm a mom of two kids living with Autism. I married a man with Autism. I probably have Autism, but, after one turns 30 years old- whatever..

A year ago January, it was own personal mission to lose 150-160 lbs. Starting weight was 309 pounds. By June, I was beyond frustrated, beyond hungry, and injured from running (fractured my tibia at the knee). I had a personal trainer, who I love, but, obviously, things didn't work out. It was mid-summer that it was suggested to us by the ABA therapist and an OT to change my son's diet for sensory purposes. Well, ok, back up.. I have a feeling no one is going to understand "sensory purposes". See, when we found this website, EVERYTHING began to make sense to us. My son's nervous system is very very very under-developed. So.. before finding this website, the OT said to me, ok, so, you've had wine before, right? and I said yes, of course.. Ok.. so.. what happens when you have one too many glasses of wine? I get drunk! Right, your behavior changes! I said yes, but in confusion.. She explained that over half of our nervous system in is our gut and certain foods- like wheat and dairy can make nerve endings go "crazy". So... after finding this website, we got excited.. VERY excited... The excitement actually died the first day of the leptin reset. Actually, the first month, I felt like a crack addict with no crack. However, it started to sink into my brain of the addiction to sugar. The sugar I knew about and wasn't being honest, but also, the sugar that I didn't know that would be harmful, etc. This website gave a clear understanding of WHY.. I am incredibly grateful. Seven months later, I am FINALLY under 200lbs, but, I still have a good 40-50lbs to go. I am pretty sure that I no longer have PCOS, my cycles are on time and manageable. On the subject of my husband and kids, there was a very noticeable difference when we changed our lights to amber, orange, and red... My kids SLEEP!!! AMEN! lol We also sold our TV and iPad. We got rid of our Android phones and got cheap pay as you go phones that we keep off and just for emergencies only. We turned off our WIFI and hard wired our computers. My kids are more calm.. They still have their moments, but, over all, more calm. Less meltdowns. Less screaming.. I'm sure there is more to be done!! One day at a time...

I would love to hear thoughts on what you guys pack in your kids lunches???

bna100lbs.jpg

2. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Welcome Kate! Sounds like you have made some great progress and your entire family is benefitting from the changes you made. I love hearing about the positive effects reduced EMF can have on kids!! We saw a great improvement in my kiddos too :)

3. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

The lights and the tv were the big ones with the most noticeable difference.. and I mean, night and day kind of difference. We were SHOCKED. My son would get up at 1 and 4am to jump, literally. My daughter would get up at 3am to move around. They wouldn't disturb each other or anything. It has been before they were born since I have slept through the night.. they FINALLY are BOTH sleeping through the night! that makes me one HAPPY Mama to sleep through the night too!!! lol

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Kate .... I can't even begin to tell you how amazing I think you are! You dived into all of this and look what rewards you have reaped! You are an awesome woman and more importantly an awesome wife and mother. You are one smart lady!
    And ..... You are sleeping .... Just simply ...WOW....

Please keep coming here and posting and asking questions. - there are a lot of really smart people here who can help if needed. We love, love, love to hear from people who take all of this on board and don't look back.

All of this must have been pretty daunting given all your difficult circumstances - but you didnt say "I can't" you just did!

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks for posting pictures BTW! What a tranformation you have made in you and your families life.
    I really am in awe of how you took all of this and ran with it! I can't even imagine how many other people you are going to help. You are a Quntum Mom - no question.....

6. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Kate,

Kudos for all the positive changes you have made for your family! I just noted you are from Michigan...which part?

I lived most of my life in SE Michigan. Nice to see others from there. Welcome!

7. Hope

Hope Gold

Wow what a great story, indeed...love it. thanks so much for sharing and the inspiration...

8. diane

diane Gold

Amazing story Kate! And what a fabulous impact you're having on yourself and your kids. Big kudos to you.

9. Hi Kate. Congratulations on such profound changes! I concur with what everyone else said...keep reading, keep asking questions. There is a storehouse of information here, and sometimes it can be buried in places that are hard to find, so questions seem like the best way to eke out what you are seeking. I am especially curious to hear about your kids and how things will progress for them. Amazing photos!

10. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

Hi Caroline!

Thank you! :)

I feel too good to look back most days. I don't think I realized that my stomach hurt, especially after eating wheat. I used to have to have a nap every single day at 3pm. My body literally shut down. :) On the other hand, there are days where I crave carbs.. I still battle this addiction to sugar.. but it seems to get slightly easier every day.. :)

11. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

@fitness@home- yes, SE Michigan too! :)

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Kate - I don't know if you eat fruit ....but that was huge for me when I gave it up ...... in the long run it is just sugar. It took a few weeks but I don't crave fruit at all now - in fact - I bought an apple the other day and didn't enjoy it at all. That was huge for me - I have loved apples all of my life!

Have you thought of starting a journal here? we would love to follow your progress.....it is amazing when you look back months later and see how far you have come ...... and all your trials and tribulations - successes and failures ...all part of this amazing journey to wellness.

When I started a journal - I was just going to keep track of food and C/T before my next set of labs ... but it has turned into so much more....

13. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

Caroline-

I'll think about it! Where can I go to start one if I decide to do so?

Thanks!

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Kate - just go to the forum page ...it is the third category down ....90 day reset and then - my journal. It is really easy to find and do - just start a new thread!

Just start by posting a few sentences and then soon enough - you will want to go there to post your thoughts - It helps Dr. K. to see how people are doing as well ...he says he likes journals. It really helps to focus our thoughts even when busy. Some people have been keeping a journal for a year and it is amazing to see their progress and everyone is very supportive....

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

BTW - I love your inspirational quote - amazing words to live by.

16. MrPinkies

MrPinkies Silver

HA! I found it! Thanks!

Yes, this is one of my FAVORITE quotes... A very special friend of mine told me this quote about a year after my first kids diagnoses. At that time, life was very confusing because at the time of diagnoses, they literally said "your son has autism, good luck" and then showed me the door.. That's the thing about Autism, is, there is no book.. there is no one therapy or one answer. It's called a spectrum for a reason.. All of these kids, that will eventually become adults, are different. Both of my kids are very different from each other and have different struggles. I think I finally (starting my fifth year on this journey with Autism) got my act together. On the tough days, where my kids nervous system completely goes haywire, this is the only quote that gets me through my day because being strong IS the only option I have.. Over time, I have learned to love being strong. :)

It's interesting that when I explain to other people why I eat the way that I do and do the things I do- like the amber lights, etc, and not owning a tv... the typical response is "I can't do that- it's too hard.. and I wouldn't be able to keep this lifestyle"... but.. the more I think about it.. these things make life EASIER... not harder... We are so programmed to believe things.. and until we "TRY", how will one ever know that it's too hard.. or one would be unable to keep this lifestyle up??!?? I'll tell you what.. my kids put themselves in bed at 8pm.. they are WILLING to go to bed because they get tired at the right time...

AMEN! hahahahahaa...

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Kate - I just love how strong you are and how motivated. Why do people always put things in the too hard box? Surely your life isn't going to end if you give up wheat and sugar and TV.......people seem to be so unmotivated to even try to help themselves but as Jack says - its the brain. They just can't make descisions to save/help themselves

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

I really hope that you start a journal Kate .....you have so much intelligence and insight to offer. .....you never know who might see your story and be motivated....

19. Inger

Inger Silver

Loved this. It is.. everything gets easier when we do the right stuff, 100% my experience too :)