1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Herring

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by JMO, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Inger

Inger Silver

I am sitting here with an oyster on my face now Kovita..... first time... 1/2 oyster was more than enough! Feels good :) First I did a peeling with honey and epsom salt 50/50 and then smeared the crushed oyster into my face.. gotta make me pretty for the boyfriend - he seems to be real worth it :) :) :) :) :) I have even started to do some sports.... :eek:

Hannah Barrows likes this.
  2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Whole allspice is larger than whole pepper and lighter in color. Sounds like it.

3. Mourd

Mourd New Member

I think you mean juniper berries? they are great in food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper_berry

4. Inger

Inger Silver

no...lol I did not mean juniper. But you are right they taste great! I eat them right off the bush too :)

5. Hope

Hope Gold

Inger that i so awesome! Must make this again! Only how to find raw not smoked herring around here.....

6. Veg

Veg New Member

Inger, please explain: You wrote: "I eat from the bowl several days in a row". How is it possible, while if I let herring stay in refrigerator for more than 1 day, it starts smelling bad.

Would it be possible to tell me how much ACV (apple cider vinegar?) are you using. And how many days one can keep herring eatable by using this technique.

7. Veg

Veg New Member

Sorry to disturb you Inger, but please tell me how much ACV are you using to marinate it.
    Secondly, can one make it with mackerel too?

8. Inger

Inger Silver

I do not measure, Veg... I just pour it over... i guess.. for 1 herring maybe 1 or 2 tablespoon? I can emasure it next time i make it and tell you about how much.. but you know it by tatse, it should taste pleasant, not too sour but not too mild either cause i guess the ACV helps keep it longer.... I keep the stuff for 5 days in my fridge, easily. I love to do the same with mackerel! You can do it with salmon too... with any fish :)

Veg and Kristi Lambert like this.
  9. Veg

Veg New Member

Thanks.
    You have a new fan here.
    I have been going through your older posts. It is wealth of knowledge and inspiration. Many more thanks for all this.

I didn't have good experience with fatty fish.
    Therefore one last question, for how long can I put whole fresh herrings or mackerel in the fridge? I am going to get whole carton of 6 kg and I don't know how much time I need to eat 6 kg of fish. Can I also freeze them?

10. Inger

Inger Silver

Haaa... I did it :) :) :) I spilled tea on my screen and now 30% from the right is blacked out.. the screen has a weird pale color all over
    and i cant reply cause the button for
    that is on the right side of the screen... but i just clicked all over in the dark and then i hit it :) I was at the internet cafe today....
    but now i can reply to you with this damaged computer yay :)
    to read your posts i need to copy it into my word...lol or i can see only 70% of it..... haha... very complicted but i have figured out a way
    there is always a way :) :) :) :) and i bet a bit hard work helps to heal a broken heart :cool:

Ok... so.. to your questions.....

I buy my herrings Fhursday or Friday... make the "chevice" on Saturday normally.... i prefer whole herring they taste better
    and i get the innards and heads too. Fillets tend to oxidize faster..
    so i eat from the bowl many days until.. normally Wednesday. Today I ate the rest of the marinated herring. Tasted great still!

That said... I am not picky... when it tastes a tiny bit old i just eat it anyways. But I try to keep the fish on the collest place in my fridge.. it helps.
    If you take out the innards and the herring is whole you could easily keep it for a couple of days.... if it is fresh.
    My herring is not always that fresh when i buy it...... you can see it on the eyes if they are clear... if red, and not clear the fish is not so fresh
    and also the older the fish... the softer it gets. Hard herring with clear eyes is very fresh. Same goes for mackerel.
    I think mackerel and herring keeps about the same way... mackerel mis maybe a bit faster spoiled.
    I have eaten pretty old herring and mackerel too.. no problem.. even if this is not ideal for sure. The fresher the better.. and especially
    the taste!
    You can freeze it immediately after taking out the innards. That way you will have it freshest. Mackerel and herring, both.

I usually take the fish milk (the white male stuff) and the roe (female) and the heads, and make small bags with a few heads, some roe, some fish milk.
    That is for one fish head smoothie. And i make a few of these bags and put them in my freezer.
    Then i leave a few heads and fishmilk and roe in a bowl in my fridge for a few days supply of fish head smoothie.
    It will stink a little after a few days but if I have forgot to use them i use it anyways...hehe.... I just hold my nose and get it down....:eek:
    Then i freeze bags with a few herring in each, usually 4 whole, that is a meal for me........

now let see if i can post this... darn have to blind search for the button again.....

Jude, Kristi Lambert and Veg like this.
  11. Veg

Veg New Member

You took a lot of pain for posting the info and helping me and the others.
    I am really thankful.

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  12. Veg

Veg New Member

I went to the nearby bigger city and after a lot of search I was successful in ordering the carton of Herrings (6 Kg).
    And last night I dreamt about the heads smoothies as I was so much pumped up after reading about them.
    Today I got the carton.
    And then I was searching for the heads.
    But there were not heads there.
    Herring was delivered gutted and without heads.
    Don't talk with me, ... I told all the people around me, while I was in the state of anger.
    And now I am enjoying it as I remembered one cartoon figure who also took a lot of pain in order to get his food, but he was also unlucky like me at the end!!!

13. Inger

Inger Silver

I see you, Veg!!!!! You missed out the best parts...!!! :rolleyes:

One day i was getting cravings for fish head smoothie.. and i was sure i had some heads in the freezer... and i searched and searched but I could find NONE. Man was i dissapointed!

Well..... so weird... seems we have gotten fish head addiction. :eek:
    The roe and fish milk are as great.... they are amazing too.

You Need to call the Company and demand your herrings whole :D tell them you need the heads and innards as medicine.. that is what i tell my fish monger too.. and she totally get it ;)

Veg likes this.
  14. Veg

Veg New Member

Update:
    6 kg of fish (already gutted) seems to be too much. I have frozen 3 kg out of it. Rest 3 kg went into ACV.
    Now I am eating it. First day flesh was not so tender. But second day it is tasting much better, but bones are making it difficult for me to enjoy them.
    Therefore, I am wondering if there is any way of deboning the fish? I am new to fish and know very little about it.
    Last experiment also showed me that I am not good in the kitchen and with cutting I need practice too and perhaps I have to buy a new sharp knife.

Yesterday, I have found another shop where I can buy Mackerel (whole) and may be herrings too. Trick about telling them about MEDICINE really worked here (otherwise they initially offered the same thing, that is mackerel gutted and without head).

I have never seen mackerel in my life before. Is it the same as herring? Inger, which one you prefer personally?

15. Veg

Veg New Member

Update:

It is the 3rd day morning, and the fish has become really tasty. Earlier it was little pink in color, but now the color has changed to white. With pink color it tasted raw, but with white color it does not tastes raw any more. Even the onions have started tasting great too.

16. Inger

Inger Silver

Veg, that is so cool.. I like it better when it sit a bit longer in the fridge too :)

I made it the other day and measured what i put in. That is what came out;

0,9 liters of loosely packed herring fillet pieces (readily cut into slices)
    1 dl of ACV
    1 teaspoon of seasalt
    1 big onion, sliced
    1 spoonful of Piment (whole brown pepper)

That was it, about :) This is a small amount, I usually make about the double, so double all the amounts and you get what is in the herring bowl I eat from a few days / week :)

Hannah Barrows and Veg like this.
  17. Inger

Inger Silver

I debone my herrings all the time! Just fillet them..like any other fish. I have a video about how I fillet mackerel.. you can watch that? Google Ingerliese..mackerel sushi, on Youtube

I actually prefer mackerel to herring :) it is even more delicious to me..... the mackerel heads are a bit harder and bigger so the smoothie will be a bit yuckier if you do not like pieces in it ;)
    but the meat is even softer and fattier which I like :)
    Here I more often get herring this time of year. I guess mackerel is more of a season fish here. Herring I get all the time!

Sajid Mahmood, Veg and Hope like this.
  18. Veg

Veg New Member

I am laughing now while I used approx. 1 Liter of AVC for 3 kg fish. Perhaps I wanted to provide enough space to my beloved Herrings to SWIM if they had wished. :D

I am glad to know about deboning, as this is the only factor which was disturbing me. There is a black membrane inside which neither looks appetizing nor tastes good. It seems that after deboning I will also get rid of this black membrane too along with the bones.

And I made a mistake while searching for your video and wrote "Ingerlise mackerel sushi". It gave no results to me. Problem was this that I made a mistake in your name which is "Ingerliese" and also it was Makrelen (german word for mackerel) and also "Sashimi" instead of sushi. Nevertheless, I accidently found you while watching other mackerel filleting videos. I found it to be a very helpful fish Video by a pretty woman with wonderful feminine voice.

Challenge for drinking heads smoothie remains there and I am still fully pumped up to win this challenge.
    Initially I thought 3 kg of herrings is too much, but I have almost finished them. "You have become a new fish eating Monster", I was told this by my little niece :p.

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  19. PaulG

PaulG New Member

@Inger you should write an e-book on your recipes and lifestyle choices - I would buy it in a flash

Sajid Mahmood and Hannah Barrows like this.
  20. Christina Gagnon

Christina Gagnon New Member

@Inger I know this will be difficult but is there any way you could describe the flavor of a fish head smoothie?