1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Here's a free alternative to Iris if you have an older version of OS X

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Dan2, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Dan2

Dan2 New Member

I used to use OS X 10.7 and had the full version of Iris. I liked being able to filter the colors at night so it only shows red and black. Then I changed from OS X 10.7 to 10.6, and couldn't use the full version of Iris anymore with 10.6 - have to use Iris Mini - and so couldn't set the screen to only red and black.
    So I looked for an alternative to Iris or f.lux that can filter all colors but red and black, and found one for OS X 10.4 or higher that's free, called Nocturne.
    Download links:
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/blacktree-nocturne/downloads
    List of related programs:
    https://alternativeto.net/software/nocturne/

After unzipping, open, click the icon in the top right of the screen near the clock if nothing shows up, in the drop-down menu click "Preferences". This should show up:

Nocture preferences.png
    "Invert screen" and "Hide desktop" were checked by default and I unchecked them. "Invert screen" will make the screen mostly black.
    To set it so there's only red and black, have "Tint colors' checked, click the rectangle above "White", the box on the left in that picture will show up, click the dropdown menu in that box and change it from "HSB sliders" to "RGB sliders", minimize green and blue and then red at 255 for saturation or lower for darker reds.
    When I put UVEX blue blockers on with red at 255, there's still a difference with the blue blockers, but this is more red than Iris mini or f.lux make it.

And for kids who want to choose the screen color by choosing a crayon color, click the rectangle below "Tint colors" that says "White" beneath it, in the box that pops up click the fifth picture all the way to the right at the top beneath "Colors" that says "Crayons" when you hover the mouse over it.

Nocture crayons.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019