1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Help with Thyroid

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by nuttmegs17, Dec 15, 2012.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Hello

I got some labs back and am a bit concerned, not sure what to do...unfortunately my doc is so behind at work that I may not hear from him for a week and I am feeling physically uncomfortable.

Background:  have hashi's and celiac and am on armour and cytomel (and a little HC)...finally got my levels where they needed to be after struggling to get my FT3 up.  My current dose is

Morning: 1 grain armour, 2.5mg cytomel, 10 mg HC

Noon:  half grain armour, 2.5 cytomel, 2.5-5 mg HC

I was feeling GREAT through the summer and fall.  Kind got behind on my testing bc I was busy and figured if I wasnt feeling bad it must be ok. Lesson learned: keep doing thyroid panels regularly so i can get in front of any potential probs!

I recently begain feeling a bit more tired...noticed I practically passed out at night, starting feeling swelling in my breast, abdomen and noticed some weight gain (could be all water but it was uncomfortable nonetheless) automatically figured i might need MORE thryoid hormone.

Imagine my shock when I got my labs:

FT4:  1.12 (.08-1.77)

FT3: 5.4 (2.0-4.4)

T3: 205 (71- 180)

TSH: .013 (.450-4.500)

RT3:  12.9 (9.2 - 24.1)

Hashi antibodies are 334 - not an all time high (which for me was off the charts: >1000) but slightly elevated from the 220 it was last time = possibly due to an gluten exposure i had recently

I am unsure what to do.  Its actually shocking to see my FT3 so high since that was originally a struggle to get up when I was sick (i had a hard time tolerating thyroid meds). It is surprising to feel so good and buzz along and then finally feel bad and see how high it got. I've always had slightly low FT4 but my doc was more concerned with raising my FT3 so that was what we focused on.  the latest labs I can find before this are from last may.  

Column 1
    RT3 18 (RANGE: 13.5-34.2)
    Total T3 134 (range: 71-180)
    FT3 3.1 (range 2.0-4.4)
    FT4 .90 (range .82-1.77)

Its good to see my RT3 to continue to improve, but I am unsure how to fix myself.  Based on what I see, even my FT4 is higher (although not optimal) and my FT3 is too high. I can take off perhaps the afternoon dose of cytomel, but how can I continue to improve my FT4?  so confused about this.

Also good lesson for everyone else -sometimes TOO much thyroid meds can mimic the symptons of too little: sleepiness, weight gain, swelling... This was the case for me when i had graves (hyperthyroidsim)  it was only after getting on thyroid suppressing meds that my weight fell off. ugh

Any recs?  Right now, i am just going to skip my thyroid dose in the afternoon. very frustrated that i have to wait so long to hear from my doc and want to be ready when  I finally do hear from him.  should i take off my morning dose of cytomel as well?

Thanks!

2. I probably wouldn't skip the whole afternoon dose.  You may end up paying for it the next day.  If this was me I would eliminate one or both of the t3 doses and see how you feel.  Your FT3 lab is high but not that bad.  Plus it depends on when you took your last dose of either med compared to when you had your blood drawn. You want your FT3 in the top of the range and FT4 mid-high to top of range.  FT4 will go up with increasing the Armour but most likely so will your T3.

It could be the ABs reaction tot he gluten you said you may have ingested contributing as well. I'm wondering (out loud) what your adrenals are doing. Also another thought is that the light changes may be starting to affect you as well. There may be other things going on affecting the thyroid and causing it to react.

Is your rT3 ratio good?  http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio/

3. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Thanks for the reply.  

I take my blood/thyroid tests at the same time of day so I can accurately track them as much as possible. While T3/FT3 aren't the highest ever, they are really high for me.  Esp considering that i wasnt able to get it up for so long.  

i'll probably just cut the aternoon dose of cytomel (wouldnt want to cut the armour as my T4 isnt really that great). this is very frustrating

your comment on the light is true.  I have noticed i never feel as well during the winter and wonder if this is a connection.  i do use a blue light though. 

according to that my ratio is good.  sigh  now i'm really confused

4. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

i would like to know what my adrenals are up to as well but as I am on a low dose of HC i believe that would mess with the cortisol testing i would normally do

5. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Hello,

I reduced the afternoon cytomel...waited a week felt no difference (still had similar symptons etc) so upon Drs advice, took off the morning dose of Cytomel as well. Now I am just taking 1 grain of armour in the am and half grain at noon.

Its been a few weeks...how long should I wait before having labs drawn again? I'm curious what is going on, bc at night I've been extremely hot (my core especially). i am curious about my levels at this point.

How soon can I get my labs redone? (T3 would have been the only change I imagaine and as I understand it, cytomel has a shorter half life than T4 meds).

Thanks for any suggetions!

6. It only has a 12 hour half life so should be out of your system within a day or two at most. Since you only eliminated the T3 I think your thyroid labs would be fairly true at this time. IMHO

7. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Thanks! Thats what I'm hoping...

8. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

If you are doing what Jack suggests - leptin reset, CT Rx, epipaleo, etc then you can expect to have changes occur.

I've just taken myself completely off my Ecothyoid (supposed to be equivalent to Armour, but I found it MUCH better). Anyway I started getting lots of symptoms of what I thought were low thyoid and wondered why when I thought I was doing everything right. Anyway someone on this forum indicated that it was possible that these symptoms were also due to too much supplemental thyroid. So I oh so cautiously stopped taking my thyroid. And my goodness, a week later and the only symptom I had was thickened skin on my heels. I hadn't got terribly cold in the late afternoon. I still had energy. Its been more than three weeks now and the skin on my heels is starting to improve, not quite back to where it was when I was on the thyroid but not cracking any more. So I think that the move to epipaleo has meant that I don't need my thyroid supplement any more. I'm aiming to get some labs drawn soon so it will be interesting to find out what they say.