1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

HELP with Frozen Tissue

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by HeyDianne, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

go to your PCP if it gets nasty......otherwise it will heal without much issue......stay away from ice in that area for a while and stay on protocol. It is designed not to injure anyone. This is precisely how a neolithic thought can hurt us.

2. HeyDianne

HeyDianne New Member

I did call my dermatologist office yesterday and they just suggested vasaline or aloe vera topically.

It is looking a bit better, the red hot tissue area are much improved, looks like I will peel and have some bruising from my mistaken massage of the area afterwards. Just hoping that is the full extent of the damage as feeling is still compromised. No blisters as of yet, hope none show up in the next 24, I am at hour 27 right now.

Eating Keto, primarily seafood. Taking bitter melon, krill oil, PQQ, ubiquinol, NAC, C, D3, and rubbing aloe vera on the affected areas.

3. Melinda

Melinda New Member

OK, I'll admit that I've done this not once but twice. I'm swearing off the gel packs for good. I got a light burn on my belly just below my navel and it was tender, itchy, and numb for a while. It's ok now. Then I put one on my upper back and didn't have enough cloth on it and relaxed back to watch a TV show and wow, that one hurts! Sore, itchy, numb..DUMB! I started swimming in the pool 9 days ago when it was 60F and have stayed away from the spot icing. I'll try it again when the pool gets too hot but I'll use ICE only.

I have been taking the Bitter Mellon 500mg each am, can't tell if it helps.

4. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Ha! What is petroleum supposed to do? Silly dermatologists. Anyone tempted, coconut oil is always better than vaseline, lol. For EVERYthing.

Okay, so I did this today! Stupid! I had to drive 1.5hr each way to a field trip today, and decided to ice belly (as usual), knees (with ace bandages), and those silly pockets of fat on the side/back of my hips. I hadn't bothered to look and see which of my packs had alcohol (they're all from stores or doctors - I think the flexible ones are the ones with alcohol), and yep, turns out the one I put on the right hip pocket was alcohol. I was checking with my hand (driving, couldn't look) about every 5 minutes, and after about twenty, the skin felt like a sticker was on it! EW!

So took it off immediately and put my hand there to warm the skin. It was red when I looked a minute later, not white. It didn't burn, and an hour later was hot & red still. Four hours later, it's red, no burning or bruising feeling.

So my take-home lessons:

- no alcohol on places I haven't CT'd before (I've used it many times on my belly with no problem).

- no skin-to-icepack contact until I've CT'd that area a few times (I got a little overpleased with the easy going through cloth, and removed the cloth after about 15 minutes).

My pain, your gain! (although it doesn't hurt. the only "pain" is knowing I can't ice that flab for awhile!)

5. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Before I ice I rub CO on the area. Don't remember why I started doing this, but I havent had any problems. Does anyone know if rubbing CO helps in any way?

6. HeyDianne

HeyDianne New Member

Yeah, petroleum, I have been using Aloe Vera exclusively as of now as I have a growing supply but if I do any ointment type stuff it will be CO.

I would also warn anyone that if you make ANY changes to your program (like changing to support hose underneath, which is what killed my flesh) be sure to check the temperature of the area OFTEN. Don't assume that the time of treatment will be the same.

When this is healed (and hopefully it will be soon) I will probably not do any more spot icing. The red angry skin and the edema covering most of both thighs is not good.

And the obsessive searching online for frostbite images is not letting me rest. still trying to determine the severity. Just hit 36 hours and still no blisters but for deep frostbite it can be up to 48 hours after. Fingers crossed and lots of praying.

7. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I may be wrong, but my impression, based on what I've heard before + what Dr. Kruse said, is that the only way you're going to do permanent damage with frostbite is if things go past the white stage. I can't remember the progression, but there's anothe rstage between white & the black stuff that leads to digits falling off.

8. HeyDianne

HeyDianne New Member

Quick update if anyone is remotely interested. Today my skin started peeling, I have never been so happy. The skin underneath is looking OK with the exception of the bruising that I caused by warming with massage. I still have a substantial amount of edema both localized and increasingly covering more and more of my legs. I am hopeful that this is related to clearing dead cells (fat cells I hope). I am eating some fresh pineapple today for the bromelain to hopefully clear the bruises as quickly as possible, especially since being VLC when not cold adapted is a bad thing. Will begin the CT with face dunks again tonight...

9. agatha

agatha New Member

Oh that's good news. It is very helpful for you to share your experience to remind the rest of us to be careful.

10. sk1nny_f4t

sk1nny_f4t New Member

The past 2 times I have done spot-icing for 30 minutes with normal blue gel ice packs, the same ones I have used for hour+ stretches before, I have gotten burns. I have not been measuring but I have visibly lost inches along this time and I wonder if any of you noticed the skin becoming more sensitive to the packs as you lose fat?

11. tweety

tweety New Member

I have used the ice spot treatment for several weeks now, and while I feel fine during the CT, the next day I have broken capillaries and it feels very bruised. It seems to be affecting my fattiest parts- right over my rib cage and then the squishy parts around my belly button. What gives?

I can do baths with no problem, but the spot CT is so much easier to work into my schedule...