1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Help with Deciphering Thyroid Study

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by River, Oct 13, 2014.

1. River

River Gold

I read this article with interest a few times and was hoping that some of you with more understanding of the terminology, content and context of the article could help extract the nuggets and boom moments (if any).

I know the studies were done on animal thyroid but from what Jack has told us regarding the evolution process much of this could apply to us as well.

As someone with thyroid issues for many years who monitors lab values of TSH, T3, T4, et.al., one of my take-aways (which may be wrong) was that the article seems to imply that TSH may be increased or decreased depending upon whether we are in a circadian long photoperiod or short photoperiod. The same with T3, and conversion from T4 to RT4 and from T3 to T2. I think they are saying their studies show it may change with the seasons.

For those taking NDT hormones to decrease TSH, this may put us in a permanent state of Fall/Autumn, even if we are honoring the natural light protocol per JK (minimal artificial light after sunset, and no blue light at all after dusk). Same with T3 and T4 levels.

I know that modern people today are living the majority of the day under unnatural light, but I'm thinking more about those of us here who are honoring length of day. I wonder if we should re-think thyroid labs. And I wonder if the labs should re-think the thyroid lab ranges, since they wouldn't apply to humans who live in the ancient pathway.

Sorry for my limited knowledge, but my inquisitiveness is genuine along with my desire to share.

Here is the link to the study:

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fendo.2014.00019/full

cantweight and fitness@home like this.
  2. Grmoline

Grmoline Gold

This is a really interesting study, and will take me another read to completely digest it all. But it does demonstrate seasonal photoperiod-related changes in T3 and revT3 production in a number of vertebrate species, linked to melatonin and separate from the usual hypothalamic signalling. Two things that I found interesting. One is the statement about how genetic/molecular circadian clocks (peripheral clocks) are found in virtually every tissue, and that they rapidly become desynchronised and phase-shifted without regular resetting cues from the SCN (something JK has been telling us for years). And the other is how refractory states can be artificially induced (i.e., artificially inducing a particular season by manipulating light) and the effect it has on T3 production or repression. You've raised some really interesting questions for me also, as one who is treating Hashimoto's.

River and Jude like this.
  3. Josh

Josh Gold

4. Josh

Josh Gold

As I recall Jack's summary is that if we are LS and Cold-adapted, the brain bypasses the thyroid. Regardless, these thyroid producing areas within the brain have circannual and circadian functions as well. I am still clarifying how it all ties to the actual thyroid organ and thyroid hormone supplementation.

Clayton likes this.
  5. Josh

Josh Gold

https://www.facebook.com/groups/872967099382852/

6. River

River Gold

Thanks for your comments and insights. I was happy to see Jack re-posted the article on the FB page and commented there. It validated the study for me somewhat and my question as to whether we should be so quick to quiet a rising TSH with medication without considering the current season.