1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Help my son overcome Asthma

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by PaulG, May 23, 2014.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

2. jenaf

jenaf Silver

thank you!

3. JMO

JMO Gold

Paul--I have a 14 year old daughter and I'm always trying to share my knowledge that Ive gained here with her but she doesn't really appreciate it yet. Some day she may because every once in a while I hear her say something that gives me a glimmer of hope. Peer pressure is hard to overcome when you are a teenager and eating healthy food, drinking good water, getting cold and handing over your phone at night are totally uncool because no one else is doing it. Last week, the school athletic dept got a new cold tub and she got 5 girls to go in with her after practice.. She was quick to mention that her parents CT since the trainer is cool to her (otherwise she rolls her eyes at us). She has her hand up at our suggestions most of time. I've had to implement a different approach where if she wants to buy new clothes I give 'xx' number of sessions for each $$. For each session, she has to do work for it like --eat 3 oysters, drink 5 bottles of water, or do 15 min of CT. Not a lot but hoping everything helps. Maybe she will notice that she feels better. In fact, a couple weeks ago, she came home and said she kept up in workouts with some of the other more athletic girls. You can definitely tell when she feels more energetic. She needs more DHA though to make the 'connection' between what she is doing...CTing...and having more energy.

Jude likes this.
  4. Sammy

Sammy New Member

Hi Paul,
    I had pretty bad asthma when I was younger. My mum put me in swimming squads because she heard that swimming can help the lungs(not sure if true or not). Anyways, I don't have asthma anymore....my last attack was 5 years ago. I think swimming had something to do with it. Maybe being in the pool was some kind of 'mild' CT. I think you should try out ocean swimming(maybe get him interested in surf life saving or a Bronze Medallion). I think he needs to get rid of 'triggering foods' as well for a while.
    I recall my lecturer saying that somehow they observed that surfing/swimming in the ocean helped teens with Cystic Fibrosis.
    Recently, I watched on ABC catalyst program on gut flora. The researchers are Monash(I think) found that feeding mice a high fibre diet alone could cure the mice's asthma. Obviously, I'm not comparing your human son to a mouse! But the implications here is that it could be gut related.

5. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Sammy - I caught the the tail end of the ABC Catalyst - told my son best thing to do would be a faecal transplant - he was not amused.
    JMO - thanks - I am trying to get my son to 'own' his condition by finding out more about it but no progress there.

Thanks for the suggestions

6. Inger

Inger Silver

I love this JMO. Great ideas!

7. JMO

JMO Gold

Thanks Inger. It works for her--She has done abt 25 sessions this summer. She would have done ZERO if I told her it was healthy and would help her energy. There's prob no way I would have eaten an raw oyster when I was 14. She has also put raw liver and raw eggs in her whey protein smoothie. She's prob ok with it since parents and siblings have an influence. Haven't tried the Mackrel Head smoothie or high meat....but I'm sneaky.

8. JMO

JMO Gold

Last week had seafood almost every meal, crab, salmon, coconut shrimp then DD had 3 oysters in am and 3 in pm for a couple days. She ate the oysters because she wanted to do her best at an important school event. Didn't have any over weekend. Then tonight SHE ASKED FOR OYSTERS! YAY! She said she noticed her acne got better. Maybe she will also notice how she can be focused and get things done. :)

9. PaulG

PaulG New Member

Well done JMO

I think sneaky may be the way to go. I need to experiment to see how much tinned salmon I can put into a green smoothie without it affecting the taste. I know something like cacao powder can be strong tasting. They would probably go for tinned salmon if it was drenched in honey and or ketchup.

http://www.parenting.com/article/6-ways-to-encourage-your-child-to-eat-fish
    http://www.verlasso.com/conversation/article/5-kid-friendly-salmon-recipes-from-moms/
    http://www.food.com/recipe/karens-kid-friendly-salmon-166059

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Wow. She knew she could rely on oysters to help her with the school event. Awesome, JMO.

11. JMO

JMO Gold

Thanks Paul! She asked for oysters again tonight.....hurray! Does your son like salmon? DH has a great recipe I can share?