1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Help. Cravings beating me down.

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by MamaGrok, Feb 4, 2013.

1. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

No, I think it's my body feeding on its already crazed sugar obsession, lol.

I am not kidding when I say that if I listened to my body, I would eat that entire LEF tub of d-ribose in one sitting. I'm reacting to it exactly the same way I reacted to a spoonful of honey or 100% fruit jam - obsession.

It's the sweet taste. It's like having artificial sweeteners - they're not treated as sugar in the body, but the sweet taste continues to feed the sweet obsession.

I wonder if I could get it down without tasting it at all if it would still be a problem? Kind of like how I eat raw liver without tasting it at all. I might encapsulate it.

2. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

ITA - I was using the NOW brand of orange flavored ribose. Those things were wayyy too yummy!! The pure encapsulations kind was pretty bad tasting, IMO, and I LOVE all things sweet. Too pricey though to maintain the high dose.

3. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

The strange thing is, I don't even really think it tastes all *that* good. It's just sweet, and I'm primed for sweet right now, and would eat a whole tub of anything sweet, even if I didn't really love it, if I had one bite of it, where I am right now.

4. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Heh - like Bruce, in "Finding Nemo," when he smells blood again LOL Sorry, I can completely commiserate - I am very much the same way!

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

But the thing about D-ribose as I understand it. your body doesn't process it like it would glucose or fructrose. when it sees the molecular structure it moves it straight to the mitochondria to make ATP

Maybe JAck will weigh in on this for you MamaG!

6. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

MamaGrok - sorry to hear you are having a hard time. When I had a lot of cravings my first stop was the l-glutamine and about 1/8 of a teaspoon under the tongue often worked wonders. I also found that 5 HTP also made a big difference. However these did need to be taken prior to the cravings kicking in badly, the 5-HTP especially. To start with I needed 3 a day, slowly dropping it to one at night before being able to drop it in November last. I think I read somewhere that Jack isn't a fan of 5-HTP, but you don't want to binge either. One was not a substitute for the other. if I needed 5-HTP then l-glutamine wouldn't work and vice versa.

I do find it heartening, though I don't like you suffering, to find that others find it not smooth sailing too even when they are doing everything right. It means we can take such hiccoughs in our stride and not give up.

My own pet theory is that as we go downhill our bodies choose the best of the bunch of hormonal cascades they could use. And these keep changing as we go further and further down. When we start coming up we can't go straight to optimal but have to come up through those same pathways. My theory is that on the upward journey some of these hormonal cascades, while being physiologically better than the previous one my body had been using, might have undesirable qualities from my experiential point of view. What I have to do is to hang on in there as my body continues to adapt and my body is able to step up to the next physiologically better hormonal cascade and hopefully out of those unhelpful symptoms. Not that the idea helped when the cravings were uncontrollable, though it did help with the guilt afterwards.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

melatonin, or Ca AEP work for cravings in an emergency.

8. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I am so screwed. I am in a setting where I have to eat so freaking late!! It's really driving me up the wall. I'm so afraid for all the bad things it will do hormonally after all my efforts to try to at least stay afloat. But it was choose to go back to Ottawa and basically not afford proper food...or come back home and a. eat foods I really shouldn't and b. eat so freaking late!! :S

Short of 'isolating' myself away from family and acting 'weird' I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll get a rude response, but I am serious and I am panicking over this which causes stress which is obviously not good either. So either way my body is getting extra stress for this. :-(

9. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I think that the cravings are coming from my taste buds in the case of d-ribose. Like artificial sweeteners, once it gets to the body, it doesn't act like a true sugar, but in the mouth, it perpetuates the cravings that are already there.

Ca = Calcium
    AEP = ?

I'm glad for help for emergencies, but they're happening every day and I need to hit the root cause!

I like your theory, Aussie Nana.

Zorica, for me, I pick the most dire sounding health problem I have and use it - "I need to eat dinner a lot earlier b/c having it later is doing some unexpected things to my Hashimoto's disease / whatever. I still want to sit with you each night at dinner time! I'll just have some beef jerky down here in my bunker..."

10. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

I think its the yogurt....totally throws off all progress for me and causes bloating too. Also, I dont' know if this is approved or not, but when I go through these periods of cravings I put tons of truvia on anything and everything. It seems to be the only artificial sweetner that satisfies that sweet tooth but ironically makes the cravings go away...unlike splenda etc. An apple would also feed the cravings monster in me. Sorry you are goiong through this, the anxiety also drives it so hopefully you can let go of the frustration, no one can be cravings free 100% of the time.

11. Aussie Nana

Aussie Nana New Member

I'm not much help - I was taking 5-HTP for about 15 months to deal with both cravings and depression. It was better for the depression than anything any doctor ever prescribed over 6 decades. I was depressed from the age of 3 till November last year. At the same time I was mostly good on a paleo diet 20/21 meals per week. But fruit was my downfall. Despite cutting wayyyy back, any really sweet fruit would set me off, so I cut right back. At Christmas I decided I would try Jack's stuff seriously so went on a mussels and fish binge and things changed hormonally in lots of tiny ways. Amongst other things the cravings dropped right back and they don't bother me at the moment, except for the one day I ate too many grapes about 3 weeks ago. The good thing about the l-glutamine is that an eighth of a teaspoon would work for 4-12 hours so it wasn't expensive. It isn't emotionally satisfying like sugar is, but after the first few minutes I forget about it as long as I find something else to do so I don't dwell on the lack of the sugar hit.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I am hesitant to add the acetyl l-carnitine due to the thyroid suppression which I don't need. Any experience with that?
    Sometimes when I take d-ribose, I feel that I could skip my thyroid dose but I don't.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

bingo!!!!!!

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

True measure of personal leadership is done by the quality of the leaders they leave behind as their legacy, not by the number of followers they garnered. Great leaders are like great conductors who demonstrate their ability to create an environment where the artistry of others may emerge so that their teams can perform in excellence! The conductor is the only person in the orchestra who “doesn’t make a sound." Like musical notes, they have their specific place and timing; their part is to play through the sharps and flats to produce a symphony of excellence to the ear. Conducting does not demand or control. Conducting well aligns people according to their unique talents and gifts and guides them in order that their whole life is in harmony. A well-conducted life perceives, believes, and receives its own dreams, while helping others reach their own dreams. A well-orchestrated life delivers a high yield. Today begin your own masterpiece, and ditch the yogurt.......

15. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Let me be clear.

I ATE THE YOGURT AND FRUIT BECAUSE OF THE CRAVINGS.

THE YOGURT AND FRUIT DID NOT CAUSE THE CRAVINGS.

I'm not a fan of caps lock, but I need to emphasize this somehow. I have eaten yogurt on three days in the past year, all because cravings were driving me to the point of insanity, and I decided that whole plain yogurt, and/or a piece of whole fruit would be a better idea than driving to the store and buying and eating an entire cookie cake.

The cravings have driven me to food madness again, and in the midst of it, I am trying to make "better" choices rather than horrible ones. The question is, why are the cravings back?

(And I don't mean normal wishfulness for tasty foods I can't have. I can overcome those. I mean insane cravings that won't let me think about anything else other than "don't indulge. don't indulge." Also, there is the reality that I was 100% cravings free for 6 months, not even those normal "well, it would have been nice if I could have had that" kind of feelings.)

16. diane

diane Gold

Mamagrok - I totally get where you're coming from. I have the same thing - drives me crazy. i can control them for short periods of time, but they come roaring back.:mad:

17. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

Wish I had words of advise. I was craving free for almost 3 months and, coincidence or not, they were back with a vengence the first day I took the d-ribose. I know, I know, it isn't metabolized like sugar, etc but something triggered the craving insanity that day. I will try the d-ribose again but am waiting until I'm back to being craving-free for another month or so.

I know you want to get to the root cause but what happens if you drink some olive oil or eat some pure fat when you have the cravings, will they go away? Since I had my consult with Jack that tidbit has saved me from insanity a few times!

18. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

That used to work. It hasn't the last week. The first thing I do when a craving hits is eat a full big meal of protein and tons of fat. Doesn't stop 'em.

19. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I wish I could help you. I keep returning to this thread. My problem is similar, in that I never feel satisfied/full. If I could be eating all the time, that would be just fine with me. Of course carbs answer it the most, but plenty of other options fit the bill. I remember when I used to eat a meal, and then not feel like eating when it was done. I would love to return to just that - carbs/starches/LC/epi-paleo/whatever.