1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Help Clearing Lactic Acid

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by persistence, May 23, 2014.

1. persistence

persistence New Member

What is your opinion on using magnesium chloride (or any other magnesium salt) in bath water? I have read nothing about that, but does it self regulate absorption or is there a risk of getting too much? How often should that be done?

2. Josh

Josh Gold

From my experience, for most people epsom salt/mgcl baths are pretty harmelss. Give some consideration to the quality of the bath water itself and the temperature of the water issues as well. I have not seen anyone with an overdose issue that I could track back to the baths.

3. persistence

persistence New Member

The problem with seaweeds is the high variability of the nutrition. Iodine content can be all over the board. And now with the Japanese nuclear disaster we have to start worrying about radioactive iodine concentrating in Asian seaweeds.

I did some research on this, and I did find references to these forms of potassium connected to Gerson, but I was not able to find any discussion of why he selected those three.

4. Josh

Josh Gold

Maine seaweed

I think there is some info in the book "Healing the Gerson Way" by his daughter, "50 Cases of Cancer Cured" and in his Biography. You would have to search pub med for potassium supplementation and review the literature to see whether he is still cutting edge...

5. Josh

Josh Gold

6. hmm
    since being truly ketogenic i have noticed there is no longer such a thing as lactic acid (from a symptomatic point of view)
    i guess this is because it is a byproduct of Krebs cycle...

rlee314 and Albert83BCN like this.
  7. persistence

persistence New Member

Would either of you know if you want to measure lactic accumulation in the muscle, what blood test should be ordered? I gather that it is actually lactate, not lactic acid, that we would measure in the serum? When I look at Labcorp's blood tests, they have one for lactic acid in serum, but I don't see one for lactate. What I see is:

001859 Creatine Kinase (CK) and Lactate Dehydrogenase (LD), Totals and Isoenzymes
    001842 Lactate Dehydrogenase (LD) Isoenzymes

Is either of these the right marker for lactate?

My doctor wrote down "lactate" on the lab form, and what we got back is lactic acid.

8. persistence

persistence New Member

The two forms of potassium supplementation that associate with fewer markers of bone loss and decreased calcium excretion in urine are potassium citrate and potassium bicarbonate.

What still confuses me is that potassium bicarbonate should interact with stomach acid to become potassium-chloride + CO2 + water. I don't understand how it is the potassium bicarbonate is managing to get through the stomach and into blood serum. I definitely see a dramatic increase in pH in urine when I take bicarbonates, so it cannot be just a salt getting into serum?

In the various studies, potassium bicarbonate has a dramatic alkalizing effect and lowers calcium loss, whereas potassium chloride does not have that effect. So if potassium bicarbonate becomes potassium chloride in the environment of stomach acid, it gets even more confusing.

9. Josh

Josh Gold

I am confused too as I have never looked into this so deeply as you are...perhaps someone will help us....

seanb4 likes this.
  10. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  11. maybe mineral water would have a similar effect?
    the spring closest to us has a large bicarbonate count, i'll take a photo today...

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

rlee314 and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.
  13. rlee314 likes this.
  14. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I can't remember the last time I had sore muscles the day after exertion. Really handy for farm chores, house renovation, and moving. :)

15. this should take you all to the december 2012 QandA (says i, who has been gold for only a week haha)
    jack said, and i agree (via experience) if you are geting lactic acid post exertion, youre not a fat burner.

16. persistence

persistence New Member

This study says the opposite: that ketogenic is not recommended for people with mitochondrial diseases. To quote the ketogenic diet section of the study:

"Because many mitochondrial disease patients have secondary fatty acid oxidation disorders, there are limited data on use and safety of the ketogenic diet in patients with these conditions. Only a single report has looked at the lack of efficacy of the ketogenic diet in children with electron transport chain defects and intractable seizures [10, Class IV]."

"The ketogenic diet is the standard of care for pyruvate dehydrogenase deficiency, but it is contraindicated in patients with known fatty acid oxidation disorders and pyruvate carboxylase deficiency."

Danny likes this.
  17. they miss the point that keto will decrease overall oxidation

rlee314 and Alex97232 like this.
  18. another case of the short sightedness of RCT and its results being extrapolated to broader concepts

rlee314, Alex97232 and Jude like this.
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

There is another trick I use on T2D when I am going to operate on them and they have a high HbA1c: I have them use d-glucosamine for two weeks pre op and them put them on the Leptin Rx with a lot of seafood. d-Glucosamine (GlcN) is a freely available and commonly used dietary supplement potentially promoting cartilage health in humans, which also acts as an inhibitor of glycolysis.

Hunger4More and rlee314 like this.
  20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Here is the key context point.......when you are healthy LS with a good redox......you need the oxidation of seasonal carbs for biogenesis. When your mitochondria are broken you need ketosis to stop the amplification of bad mitochondria. While you improve autophagy in other ways........to recycle the bad mito using mitohormesis

Danny, rlee314, Alex97232 and 3 others like this.