1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Hello from a shift worker in need of biohacking

Discussion in 'Meet and Greet' started by ellore28, Sep 5, 2018.

1. ellore28

ellore28 New Member

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and I am learning a ton from all the wealth of information provided here! I am half way through Jack's book, just ordered a magnetico mattress pad and blue blocker glasses. I also have a bearded dragon and I have made use of some of her fancy lightbulbs for myself!
    I am eager to learn all I can to counter act my job/environment. I am an ICU nurse, caring for patients post brain surgery, traumas, cardiac arrests and so forth for twelve hour shifts both days and nights...I do love my job but my sleep cycle is a mess. Hence my search for help - and I think I have just scratched the surface!!
    Is there a good place to find information regarding shift working - where should I begin? also, I live in a high nnEMF zone (condo building) in a 48 latitude zone.
    How can I protect myself from the nnEMF floating around my little condo?
    Thank you so much for adding me to the group!
    Looking forward to learning so much more!!!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I am going to cut to the chase. I think ICU nurses have some of the highest risks for shift work. Hospitals have refused to go to 8 hour shifts in the ICU because no one want to work the last shift so they invented the 12 hour shift. In my opinion it is an OSHA risk. There is no way to mitigate it unless you leave the ICU or ER. Trust me I know.

3. Jenelle

Jenelle Gold

Welcome, ellore. :)

I'm about to finish nursing school. This semester we are mainly in CIC/ICU for clinicals. So I want you to know that I have a deep respect for what you do.

(My first day in CIC with a patient was last Monday, and I was like a deer in headlights ~ yep ~ stated by me, and confirmed by my nurse :rofl: ).

The quandary is that nature does not respect what you do.

She does not care about the artificial realities we construct for ourselves... she has no use for the technology and equipment.

She does not recognize something called "bills". She has provided all we need ~ and we, as humans, choose each day to screw it up.

She does not care if your shift starts at 7:00 am or 7:00 pm ... the sun rises and sets at a certain time each day, and if you miss it ~ it's gone.

Whatever your issues are that led you to this site, know this: There are no "easy" answers here. There really is no have your cake and eat it, too. I'm not saying that's what you're looking for. I'm just preparing you for the reality you will find.

My environment sucks for me at 40 degree latitude, about 6 months out of the year. Maybe even the entire year. You are even higher up.

My environment sucks for me working days in a hospital (and classroom) environment. You are also working nights.

So I will offer you some beginner tips:

1) Live outside. As much as you can possibly be outside, grounded in the sun ~ you've got to be there. Yes, I have constructed my entire life around this for the past several months... and YES, it makes a difference. <-- {understatement alert}

2) Stop working nights. If you say you cannot do this ~ start working on a plan for how you can. Because there is zero doubt that working nights affects your absolutely everything, and it cannot be fully hacked. It is literally not possible to trick your body into "playing along" with what you are doing. It will catch up with you in one way or another.

3) Don't take things that you read here about doctors and nurses personally. Dr. Kruse is a doctor himself ~ certainly, he understands the importance of what we do. But he cannot and does not sugar-coat the effects it has on those who choose to sacrifice part of their own physical and mental well-being in order to care for others. He presents facts, not opinions... and they are all based in the laws of nature. There is no arguing with nature. Any effort to do so is an exercise in futility.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

All healthcare clinicians need to remain mindful of this: What really is melanopsin wisdom for the mitochondriac in training? There is only one time when the low dopamine talking primate pays attention and that is when the Black Swan has a chance to educate them. When they get sick enough, and they are tired of the fight and the lack of success of the medicine men, the very possibility of death focuses the mind wonderfully, even if that mind is not all there.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

ICU and ER nurses usually are with those silly talking primates in many of those moments.

Leland Stillman, ellore28 and Jenelle like this.
  6. ellore28

ellore28 New Member

Thank you both for your speedy and truthful replies. I do enjoy what I do, those silly primates are great to work with and I couldn't work with a better bunch! I plan to start educating some of my peers about what I am learning. We all know the night shifts are bad for us, and yet we struggle on to pay the bills. The idea of giving up working in that area at this time isn't something I'm ready to do just yet, although I know I can't keep this up forever. Nothing has sprung up lately that has been of any interest to me and day jobs are hard to come by in nursing...there will always be nights to contend with. On occasion I can I trade off nights but nobody likes nights so this becomes difficult.
    In the meantime, I am going to take more notice of the sun and get outside as much as possible. I'll be breaking out my leather Fluevog shoes and work on being more grounded.
    Thanks again!

caroline likes this.
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

welcome....

ellore28 likes this.
  8. ellore28

ellore28 New Member

Hello again! It's been a few months and I wanted to post an update on changes I've made since finding this wonderful group.
    After reading Jack's epi-paleo Rx book my eating habits have changed and I have been able to increase my seafood intake (minus fish which has given me hives in the mouth and an itchy throat since I was very young).
    I'm out in the sunshine as much as I can between work breaks, which I never used to do.
    I've been sporting blue light blocking eye glasses and some of my coworkers are also getting them too. My computer and my cellphone both have a Reticare blue light blocking screen and IRIS is running on my computer too, it's a great program. Both devices are also now being used with DefenderShield cases/pads...expensive but ease my mind a bit with the high EMFs they emit. I have gone back to plugging into the internet on both devices as well, no WIFI is on at my place.
    At home I have removed all LED bulbs and gone back to incandescent/halogens bulbs, while also adding red light IR bulbs and black light bulbs. I'm even trying one of the 'lowbluelights.com' bulbs...what else can I do? On the really rainy days I hang out with my bearded dragon and her PowerSun UV lamp (160W), she likes the company :)
    Oh and happy news, I scored a new job in the recovery room working mostly dayshifts with very few nights now! I have a much better sleep schedule now and the Magnetico mattress pad has given me more energy and deeper sleep I've noticed.
    Aside from moving, I feel I have made a huge shift in my health so far. Any input or feedback I would appreciate, especially if I have been doing something wrong!
    Thanks again for this wonderful wealth of information,
    Michelle

caroline and Jenelle like this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well if you stay in the hospital using DDW would be the next logical step but it will cost you.

ellore28 likes this.
  10. ellore28

ellore28 New Member

thanks Jack, DDW...is that deuterium depleted water?

11. AmateurBiohacker

AmateurBiohacker New Member

>Hello everyone! I am new to this site and I am learning a ton from all the wealth of information provided here! I am half way through Jack's book, just ordered a magnetico mattress pad and blue blocker glasses. I also have a bearded dragon and I have made use of some of her fancy lightbulbs for myself!
    I am eager to learn all I can to counter act my job/environment. I am an ICU nurse, caring for patients post brain surgery, traumas, cardiac arrests and so forth for twelve hour shifts both days and nights...I do love my job but my sleep cycle is a mess. Hence my search for help - and I think I have just scratched the surface!!
    Is there a good place to find information regarding shift working - where should I begin? also, I live in a high nnEMF zone (condo building) in a 48 latitude zone.
    How can I protect myself from the nnEMF floating around my little condo?
    Thank you so much for adding me to the group!
    Looking forward to learning so much more!!!

At home: Black out your sleeping room. Cover all sources of light, even LEDs. Use a noise machine. Turn off WiFi while sleeping. Wear a sleeping mask.

Look into: GABA supplements for sleeping.

Get lots of: sun, DHA, and exercise.

Read this: https://blog.bulletproof.com/how-to-hack-your-sleep-the-art-and-science-of-sleeping/

And read their other articles for hacking tips.

12. ellore28

ellore28 New Member

Thanks for the info AmateurBiohacker but as I stated above I don't use LEDs. I have no WIFI on ever at home. I have been getting lots of sun, DHA and exercise. I am sleeping well now so I will not be swallowing pills of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid, does this even have any effect if it does not cross the blood/brain barrier? nor will I buy any of Asprey's bulletproof products which have been discussed at length on this site to be counter intuitive. I sleep in a pitch black room with black out curtains and the power off to decrease EMF exposure - I would never use a noise machine for this reason. I have learned a ton from this site and I just wanted to update folks on my progress and get feedback regarding my lifestyle changes.

JanSz likes this.
  13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am not sure for how long the blackout curtains idea will work.
    I have seen (one) @Jack Kruse post extolling benefits of night lights.

I have stopped closing my blackout curtains since I have seen that comment.
    But I do not have outside lights that would shine on me while I sleep.
    Except for moonlight from time to time and stars.

But my windows are closed.

ellore28 likes this.
  14. amanda elmgren

amanda elmgren New Member

Hi, I just wanted to give you an idea of the cost in dollars because I just called the contact in FL and ordered some from Qlarivia sent from Romania... $450 for a case (48 bottles 500ml) of Qlarivia water or 2 cases/$850.00 so my calculation is around $9.00 per each 16.9 fl oz. 25 ppm. My health is at a point that I need to do this whatever the cost... There are threads about ddw so I am just learning, too.

ellore28 likes this.
  15. ellore28

ellore28 New Member

THanks for the info - I'll keep saving my nickels :)

caroline likes this.
  16. caroline

caroline Moderator

• Jan - why do you keep your windows closed?

17. Inger

Inger Silver

I wonder too...
    because you want get the benefit of the natural (dark/moon/star)light through the glass.....
    that is why I always make sure I can touch the heaven/sky with my eyes when I am in bed, there is this connection, and it feels so good :)

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

us too ..... We leave the blackout drapes open for the stars etc......and the breeze. I need the breeze too!

19. ellore28

ellore28 New Member

If you get stars and darkness I am jealous, I am stuck in a blue lit condo complex...one day I hope to live in a quieter atmosphere...then I can sleep under the stars and wake up with true sunlight - would be wonderful.

20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

To keep my heating bill reasonable.

I am not the ideal mitochondriac.

ellore28 likes this.