1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Heat sink effect/hot tub

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by pthomaslandry@gmail.com, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Hey, I missed the webinar, but have heard it after the fact. I had a follow up question about using a hot tub, is this method better or worse than just cold. That is, is it more effective to lose the heat rapidly via conduction, or is it more effective to activate more cold receptors all over the body?

Is it the skin temp or the energy loss (i know one is pretty much dependent on the other) that activates the pathway?

I'm thinking that the truth is somewhere in the middle and dependent on time and temp, so let's say equal time and a gradient of ice pack/vest (35ish f) and 104f hot tub. Vs 30-45 tub for equal time.

I should go dig out one of my heat transfer books...

From ct protocol: Most of the time presently, I use my hot tub to train. I get in it and I cold adapt my upper body with ice bags on my torso, while my bottom half is submerged in the water. I alter the water temperatures to higher than my torso, because I have very little fat on this part of lower parts of my body today. So, often I will sit in warmer water while my upper half is completely exposed to the elements with ice on my chest and abdomen. It is very effective at lowering your surface temperatures to 50-55 degrees in 2-3 minutes. This augments thermogenesis naturally using convection currents of different temperatures. Here, I am using Fournier’s Law. In heat transfer, conduction (or heat conduction) is a mode of transfer of energy within and between bodies of matter, due to a temperature gradient between the hot tub my body, and the cold air and ice on my skin

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Not sure what youre asking her.....bad question.