1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Heart Rate and longevity

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by ColdBren, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ColdBren

ColdBren New Member

My heart rate is too high. My dad's was high too and he passed away last year from a heart attack. My doctors never have said my heart rate is high but it has always been over 80 while resting. It is becoming clear that lower rates are associated with longevity. How do I bring my heart rate down other than "relaxing"?

2. I have a good friend who would be labeled all kinds of things (OCD, neurotic, anxioius, Type-A, anal). . .her resting is sky high, back when we took a boot camp together , we both bought Heart Rate Monitors. . .she would rocket up close to 200, and her resting was around 80-90. . .

It sounds like it's a correlation not causation kind of thing. . .but considering your panic attack and anxious stuff going on - I wonder. Do you know if your HR has always been high?

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

meditation, optimal D levels, great PG/E2 ratio, optimal T3 levels all are keys to getting it down. It tells you your parasympathetic nervous system is not working. It also implies LR state.

4. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

So Leptin RX/Keto-Epi-Paleo/Meditation in the sun :)/In a cold river/lake

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Are you getting enough D3? My RHR was routinely in the middle to upper 80's until I started taking high doses of D3 and Omega-3's. It is now in the low to mid 70's most of the time. My doctor told me that the only way I could bring it down was with consistent exercising. Guess she was wrong. :)

6. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

Good exercise probably wouldn't hurt though. I'm a big fan of Body By Science. Great book I just read it. The authors believe in Paleo so that helps. It goes into great detail why high intensity weight training works. Other topics include Epigenetics and High Intensity Interval training.

7. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I have been on T3 for over a couple of weeks. I also started supplementing with Prometrium a week ago. This gives me a higher dose of progesterone compare to the one before. I believe this must be improving my PG/E2 ratio.

Something must be working, since my morning resting HR has been declining from 100's before to 80's this week.

8. Destiny keep watching your heart rate. I'm quite curious if you are like me and when you need to increase your T3 your heart rate goes up (and BP). Keep me posted!

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Patty, I will let you know any changes!

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Patty Cakes, my heart rate is consistently in 80's since I posted about this last time. What concerns me that I have been unable to move to a higher dose of T3. I am taking 6.25-6.25-6.25 and feel good on it. When I try to take more my inside feels in spasm and my heart gets some flutters. It is a very uncomfortable feeling.

I am concerned by staying at the same low dose for too long but it is hard to go higher when your body reacts like that.

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

12. How's your iron, adrenals? Those can make raising T3 harder. I think I have read about other factors but cannot seem to pull them off the top of my head. Have you tried raising even as little as 2.5?

13. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Adrenals are good, iron is not horrible but lowish so I am supplementing. I tried to move higher to 8-6.25-6.25 and backed off. I will try again raising it a bit tomorrow.

14. Oh dear that isn't much of a raise. Might be a combo of T3 and preg that's too much for you. You are taking preg aren't you? I had to space out my preg and T3 when I first started preg.

15. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I tried to take pregnenalone before taking T3 and had to stop. I would like to try it again once I settle T3. I am going to try to take T3 4x a day instead of 3x and get more of T3 in that way.

Anyway, this morning my HR was 80!!!! That is so great.

16. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Destiny ... your FT3 might be rising more than you think. I just discovered that fact. Before I started T3, my FT3 was low at 2.4. After taking T3 for several weeks, I increased the dose from 25mcg to 50mcg. Within severals days, I noticed heart palpitations, and had one night of semi insomina. The next morning I had my FT3 tested, and it came back high at 8.6 on a range of 2.0 to 4.4.

As a result of my labs, I dropped my T3 back to 25mcg / day (split into 2 doses) .... and my heart palpitations stopped, and sleep issues due T3 stopped the first night after lowering my T3 dose.

My reverse T3 was high when tested in July. Clearly something positive is happening. In the next month, I plan another test including the FT3, FT4, TSH, and reverse T3. I have read that clearing high RT3 can take up to 3 months ... based on how fast my FT3 rose, I am hopeful mine will clear faster.

So in summary, I would suggest testing your FT3 (only $ 31 at LEF) ... but I understand your challenges in NY.

17. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, ATLPaleo, for sharing your experience. Being careful is definitely very important. Actually, Patty Cakes had an excellent suggestion to all T3 newbies to take HR, BP and temperature to monitor your body reactions. I am taking it slow trying to get to 25 mcg per day.

My doctor just tested my rT3 and went down from 29 to 20. So even though, I am still taking under 20 mcg a day, it is working.