1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Healthy versus Fit?

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Josh, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Gold

I have always liked this summary. Having lived in China and India when most people were not yet obsessed with appearance and how physically strong they are, I know that there is a great deal of wisdom in this perspective. It is the same in Yoga. Because extremes sell well in the West, that is what gets sold. Predictably, this approach is now selling well to the young upwardly mobile groups in both China and India.

Bruce Frantzis from "The Power of Internal Martial Arts"

2. Josh

Josh Gold

I have posted this for people to consider whether they are starting to train for fitness on a platform of health as Dr. Kruse defines it and they experience it. As I understand it and experience it, first I need to find a current level of balance and then raise the whole system maintaining the balance. I can use lab markers and signs and symptoms with experiences as guideposts. It would be great to hear how other people work this beyond the star performers of the community who inspire and demonstrate the extreme of what is possible when most if not all is close to optimum.

Snowie and Optimalbound like this.
  3. Josh

Josh Gold

4. Fitness and health are two different things indeed. They walk the same line together for but a short time.

Mystic Rose60, Lahelada and Josh like this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

6. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

Sad ironies are all around ... heading into work today the car in front of me had a license plate frame "UC Irvine - Health", then I had to rub my eyes and do a second take when I saw the sticker on the back window - "LAX Crossfit"

7. Michalis

Michalis New Member

I am reviving this thread now because this has started interesting me.

Are there any folks here that have immersed themselves into the Tai Chi / Qi Qong - internal martial arts?

Any success stories to share?

8. EvaJoh

EvaJoh New Member

I love to do yoga. It helps to keep the body fit and healthy.

9. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Yes I did internal martial arts for 15 years or so.

Some of the effects I experienced . . .
    extremely fast healing
    increased instinct and even precognition.
    extrasensory perception (or perhaps maybe more highly tuned senses)
    ability to manipulate matter indirectly (eg, the select break)
    the virtue of non-striving (non attachment)

In a nutshell I'd have to say that quantum entanglement is a very important aspect of it all.

I would say that finding a teacher that suits your personal mode of learning, in other words one that "speaks" to you, would be a big advantage.

Without trying to explain it - the mind state was the biggest part of it - a quiet awareness. I do sometimes think it may be related to the states JK talks about sometimes - about the stuff that goes on while we sleep because the system needs to be quiet to allow certain things to happen (solitons, acoustic waves etc).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

The select break for anyone that was wondering what that was. https://www.allaboutmartialarts.com/the-mysterious-art-of-chi-power/
    [​IMG]
    The method I was taught was to visualise the path you want the chi to take through the material using yi (will/intent - chi follows yi) and then have it form a loop through the block you want to break. In this way the chi passes through the selected block 3 times but only once through the other blocks. The most important aspects for successfully performing this break were the quiet and calm meditative state along with non-attachment to the outcome.

Note that any block in the stack can be selected - top, middle or bottom - or even more than one depending on one's skill.

Ah . . . but why do it?

The purpose was to examine the broken block afterwards to see the shape of the fracture in it - how straight it was, what angles it made etc. as a measure of how accurately you controlled the chi.

The select break measures one's skill in accurately manipulating chi rather than mustering brute force of chi - it is much easier to break the whole stack than to perform a select break.

Martial use - penetrating armor to take out an internal organ or effecting a strike on an opponent through other objects or people.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Joyfun, Alex97232 and drezy like this.
  11. Joyfun

Joyfun Intuitively curious

The people in this real life video were most likely not even thinking healthy VS fit. You can hardly spot any overweight people, and you can bet all were wearing shoes with leather soles. Also, note the lack of sunglasses. Who says modern man is smarter than our old fashioned great-great grandparents?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=aohXOpKtns0

drezy likes this.