1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Healthy Seafood ideas for people who dislike seafood

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Cody, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Somebody just needs to put seafood in capsule form and I'll just swallow a bunch and call it good! ;)

2. janagram

janagram New Member

it's called Fish oil...

3. vlynnb

vlynnb Gold

I found the sardines in water also. My Scandinavian gene memory must have been activated as I covered them with raw green onions and a little vinegar and they were pretty good. About half way through though I needed more incentive to finish so I added mustard and rather enjoyed the remainder. (Still would have liked a small boiled potato with it.)

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I like my sardines smoked... Now they're not my first choice in seafood - but they're cheap, & portable -which means easy lunches when I'm not working at home...

DH has started making "Sardine Salad" - very much like tuna salad w/a can of smoked, and plain sardines in water - very tasty...

5. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

How about sashimi, ceviche and other forms of raw fish (like Inger's salmon)? No cooking or smells required!

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I'm with you on the canned sardines, though have found them palatable with lots of garlic and lemon and salt. Fresh grilled sardines are MUCH better, btw.

Shellfish are totally different taste-wise, so if you're not fond of fish, go for the shellfish. Dr K told me they were superior to fish anyway, so here's to permission to gobble up all the scallops and mussels and shrimp you desire!

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Mustard helped me learn to like them. Now I don't need it anymore. Also, they can disappear in a salad if you mash it up a bit.

8. Tizawee

Tizawee New Member

Now that works for me. Crab is my favorite food on the planet followed closely by scallops. I've been sticking with salmon & cod but will go for some crab next shopping trip. :)

9. vlynnb

vlynnb Gold

OK, solved the no potatoes with sardines and onion problem. Added cauliflower, cooked and chilled. All went down very easily, I even enjoyed it.

Also second the shellfish idea. I do love scallops when I can afford them but am getting tired of small, frozen shrimp. I guess I just like variety.

10. allen001

allen001 New Member

I used chourico in chowder with salt pork or bacon, its yummy and healthy.

11. Cody

Cody New Member

I found a winner, winner, fishy dinner recipe to solve my problem. I love eggs, first of all. Really, my favorite food ever.

1. Fisherman’s Eggs

Easy and very tasty. Try them for breakfast, or pair with a leafy salad for a quick supper. Serves 4. Adapted fromThe Silver Spoon.

Heat the oven to 500°F and preheat an ovenproof serving dish for five minutes. Place a can of sardines, a small sliced shallot, a few sprigs of chopped parsley, and two cloves of finely chopped garlic in the warm dish. Add some black pepper and put the dish back in the oven for six minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, break four eggs into a bowl, and pour them gently on top of the sardine mixture. Season with salt and pepper and put the dish back in the oven for seven minutes, until the egg whites are cooked but still jiggly. Remove the dish and let it sit for five minutes (the eggs keep on cooking even out of the oven). Serve with toast and hot sauce.

[​IMG]

From http://www.chow.com/food-news/47126/7-things-to-do-with-canned-sardines/

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

nice backround of wheat bread.......this is the ying and yang of food.......

13. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Hot damn that looks good! I'm a big fan of runny-yolked eggs on top of just about anything - kale, burgers, and now fish...:D

14. Cody

Cody New Member

The article I linked to is full of wheat!

I eat mine without toast and with pastured eggs.

By the way, ignore the serves four part! I throw in a fifth egg and it serves one. Me!

Also, works great with canned oysters! Even tastier.

15. MartiD

MartiD New Member

My husband laughs at my eating habit now. I was always a just shrimp or crab legs seafood eater, hated all other fish. I've been craving salmon since I started LRX in October and now eat tilapia, cod, halibut, etc. This weekend we went to Sams and got a big bag of sea scallops and big section of wild caught salmon. I've never had scallops because my Mom was deadly allergic to them. I wrapped in bacon last night and covered them in lemon butter and they were great. No fishy taste at all! And no reaction!

I'll keep venturing out more and more with time. Not sure I can do the raw thing just yet but who knows!

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

and getting to the point of the thread......if you dislike seafood learn to get used to your dislike long term........it is the reason you are sick.

Sean Waters likes this.
  17. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

This weekend we went to the local international mkt - I bought 2x1lb bags of frozen mixed seafood for $3.99/bag - that same bag at Tjoes is $11.99!

we also got fresh blue crabs for $1.99/lb - score... unfortunately at that price they'd been picked over by 11am and there were only 6 live ones' left -

18. MJ*

MJ* New Member

I just purchased Marder Brands skewered shrimp, and we put them on the BBQ brushed with butter and garlic, YUM!

Another fish I like is Monkfish sometimes referred to as the poor man's lobster. It's a meaty white fish. I like to broil it, you can also grill it. It's a juicy fish so you can put a lemon zest and salt rub on it an hour before you cook it to bring down some of the excess juice. Serve it with drawn butter, it's delicious!

19. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

It seems to me that salmon is usually the most difficult fish for people to like - at least in my experience.

If you like raw salmon - how can you go wrong just eating that?

I've been buying up wild caught alaskan salmon like crazy this summer - it is pricey.

But I just grill it in butter and add some blackened spices on the top.

20. Cody

Cody New Member

Is it safe to eat raw salmon from the grocer's freezer section?