1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Healthy Seafood ideas for people who dislike seafood

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Cody, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

I need some ideas for healthy recipes/products for seafood.

Here's what I like:

• shrimp cocktail
    • clam chowder
    • raw salmon
      any fish deep fat fried and breaded.
      Tuna salad
      salmon salad

What do you all recommend?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I'd suggest you begin to get used to discomfort. You'll see why by BG 5 I bet.

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Try tuna without the mayo? I like it with lemon juice and a little tiny bit of olive oil, plus some chopped roasted red peppers (or banana peppers, if you like hotter stuff), kalamata olives, capers, red onion...all scooped onto a bed of greens. Shrimp scampi is easy to adapt to a paleo diet, just ditch the pasta and serve it over spaghetti squash or even plain. Shrimp is also wonderful in coconut-milk-based curry, and it's easy to load a curry up with lots of veg and turmeric as well.

If you want to expand your fish horizons a little, cod is super good for you and it's very, very mild...it doesn't taste "fishy" at all. Haddock is similar, though it's more finely grained than cod and a little harder to cook filets of. Both cod and haddock are fantastic in curry, or roasted and served with a tapenade over them.

Have you tried mackerel or sardines at all? If you like salmon, you'd probably like mackerel and sardines. Sardines packed in water seem to be milder-tasting to me than ones packed in oil. Canned mackerel tastes kind of like a cross between tuna and salmon to me. It wasn't nearly as strong as I thought it would be.

Hopefully that helps some?

4. Try making paleo mayo with coconut oil for your tuna salads. I can't eat eggs so not a rush for me to make it but I've read others have liked it.

Also Dover Sole is an inexpensive, very thin/flat, white fish that has almost no-existent flavor. I pan fry quickly in a little ghee then just put a little dill on the fish and pour some melted ghee with lemon rind over the fish. YUM! From start to end you should be done in 10-15 min.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Cody, how about shrimp grilled in ghee or butter?

Eat a bunch of those items you already listed (sans the deep fry and breading) and I think you will find your interest quickly peak. It's like your body has discovered a wonderful new source of nutrition. :)

6. djjadam@aol.com

djjadam@aol.com New Member

What is BG 5?

7. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Daniel, the title of Jack's current blog article is "BRAIN GUT 2: VIRAL MARKETING". Or BG2 for short. Jack is referring to the yet to be published 5th part of the series.

8. Cody

Cody New Member

You guys/gals are awesome! Thanks for the idea.

I went ahead and had 4 ounces each of salmon, cod, and shrimp pan fried in Nutiva with a little garlic, salt, and pepper. Not bad!

I'm going to suck it up and try to find a way to eat seafood at least once per day for the next month.

Thanks for the ideas!

Any ideas for canned clams?

9. janagram

janagram New Member

I used to love the creamy clam sauce over spaghetti, but maybe heat them up in (reduced) cream and serve over caulirice...

10. janagram

janagram New Member

I'm in the same boat as you (not fishing)

11. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

You might try cooking seafood differently. One of the reasons "I didn't like seafood" is having had most of it generally overcooked while growing up. My brother taught me that only a couple years ago. I keep trying more and more seafood. I recently cooked a salmon fillet in butter. It was very tasty until the thickest part was too under done. I had already cleared the pan so I hit it with 30 seconds in the microwave. That was too long. It was better undercooked. It is amazing how different seafood can be depending on how it's preparred. Try the widest variety you can in different ways. You will find more you foods you like. Keep going with what you do like too.

12. I need some ideas too. After my consult with dr kruse last night I've become more convinced that I have start eating the stuff. I used to like shrimp and tuna, but since I had my first son I don't like any of the stuff. The smell of it nauseates me. When I make fish for my family for dinner, if I don't eat first I totally lose my appetite because it smells so bad to me. Soooo... Wondering about maybe a very mild fish with some heavy spices to cover up any smell? Other ideas?

13. janagram

janagram New Member

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Shrimp sautéed in Ghee and garlic

Fish taco salad (sauté fish of choice in garlic, cumin, coriander, cilantros & lime juice, serve over romaine lettuce and jicama w/guacamole and poco de gallo)

Fresh mussels, clams & oysters

Sardines mixed up like tuna salad.

15. Oh no, the link says page not found! Curry does sound perfect though!

16. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I saute (with lots of CO) cod with scallops, and add green onion, fresh ginger, garlic, and shredded cabbage, carrots (the coleslaw bag). I add the veggies once the fish is mostly cooked, and push the fish to the side. It's fantastic! I eat it everyday, sometimes twice, changing up the meat/fish. The scallops are the best IMO.

17. janagram

janagram New Member

hm, dang that link...

18. Cody

Cody New Member

Scallops sound good bigknitwit, thanks for the idea!

I choked down a can of sardines in olive oil for breakfast. Yuck. Each one tasted worse to me. By the time I ate that last sardine, I was somewhat nauseous.

Any tips for canned sardines?

19. Tizawee

Tizawee New Member

+1 on this.

I got sardines in water a couple of days ago. So far, I've just been walking by the can waiting for it to give me some inspiration. Nothing yet. While I can see using them in a salad like tuna, I'm not a great fan. Would they work in that stir fry, Bigknitwit?

20. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

Boy howdy. I blended a can into tomato sauce and ate with a sausage and spaghetti squash. It went from ok to can't eat any more in the course of the meal. I had been contemplating eating them Inger style (hold my nose and down the hatch for good health).