1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Healing my child's gut and more

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by donkjellberg, Mar 15, 2012.

1. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

My son is sensitive to gluten and pretty much any food with flour in it. He had bad intermittent stomach aches and sinus problems at an early age (3-5 years). I cut out gluten, wheat, and other similar foods. Now I give him paleo as much as we can. I also give him raw grass fed dairy such as my homemade kefir to improve his gut flora. I was pleased to find that raw, grass fed milk has an omega 6:3 ratio of 1:1 to 2:1 and many healthy bacteria when fermented. That is a ratio similar to salmon. I just hope he is not sensitive to milk proteins. I want to improve his health with whole foods and not supplements as I believe this is the most natural approach.

He is doing much better, gets sick less often, and doesn't have any more stomach aches. Infrequently, he suffers from sinus allergy symptoms. When he does, it is at night when he goes to bed.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. We even started homeschooling him to get more control of his food, and of course, his learning and environment.

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

GAPS...lots of bone broths....most likely ds has a leaky gut - look at the leaky gut rx and leverage that.... If he's having allergy symptoms...you might try going w/o dairy for a a week or to to see if it improves... the trees are in full bloom her in NoVA - so both my kids have xtra runny noses right now...

there's a GAPS thread on MDA http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27963.html

there are other GAPS threads as well.. there too

3. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

I am having a hard time finding good bones where I live, but I like a challenge. I want to find bones from naturally raised animals. I have tried grasslandbeef.com but they never have any in stock when I make my regular purchases. Hopefully I can find a resource near Los Angelos. Driving an hour is not a problem. I have gotten so far away from feed lot animals that I don't want to have anything to do with them. I will check out the thread you posted. Thanks

Edit: My mom is in Fresno and is picking up lamb and beef bones for me. Both pasture raised, woo hoo! Now to make tasty broth/soups.

4. Mom

Mom New Member

My kids also have a lot of food allergies/reactions and I am also working on healing leaky guts for two of them. The way I understand it, gluten (grain protein) and casein (milk protein) have a very similar structure. I find that easy to believe since gluten makes dough soft and doughy, and casein is what makes cheese melt nicely (gooey). Because of that, the body tends to react to them similarly. So, if you have a problem with one, you are more likely to hav a problem with both. My kids can't have either, plus many other foods. We also are homeschooling, and one reason is because it is so hard to control their exposure to foods and allergens in craft products when they are at school.

It's great that you are seeing improvements. Good for you. We also are blown away by the difference it's made. We are 2 1/2 years into the special diet. It continues to be a lot of hard work, but the payoff is huge us keeps us going.

5. tweety

tweety New Member

I have cooked everything in bone broth that I possibly could, and the kids drink it as well as eating fermented foods. But is that enough? They eat potatoes and other starches, though no grains.

What about healing candida for kids and parasites? I have my other thread but I know I have read that parents usually pass the yeast and fungi on to their kids. Is the slow and steady enough to do the trick or do I need to get serious for them too?

6. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

My son appears to have fungal infection. It is in both his small toenails. I had it 12 years ago in one. I applied topical antifungals to no avail. When I took an oral antifungal it wiped it out permanently. I want to get this treatment for my son as it is pretty clear he has a systemic fungal problem. I do not like to use antibiotics due to their impact on the gut and immunity. Any ideas?

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Coconut oil! you can look at a candida cleanse for your son... also young children can take diflucan for fungal/yeast infections as well.

If you focus on gaps, and eliminate diary, and focus on establishing good pro-biotics it can help establish healing... as for the toes itself - try a mix of CO, w/tea tree oil and Grapefruit seed extract daily on the toes.... it will wipe out any fungi!

8. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Thanks Shijin13. I will give the mix of CO a try. We are cutting out dairy even though all he has is raw, organic, grass fed kefir and infrequent cheese. Kefir is one of the best probiotics IMHO. That is what is frustrating. The good/bad dichotomy.

9. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I am treating 3 children with systemic candida and parasites.

Paratosin and Parastat from Premier Research Labs are the herbals we use. My kids are also on prescriptions.

FNG or Candida Plus are homeopathic drops for yeast. Dr Ohira probiotics, Sacromyces Bouliardi (sp?) excellent for gut flora along with kefir. If you want to avoid dairy (excellent suggestion) try coconut milk kefir.

Must remove all sugar...fructose and lactose included. Hard to deny children fruit....berries, green apples, and grapefruit are lowest in sugar to my knowledge.

My one son (6yrs old) developed 2 motor tics and one verbal...tourettes like syndrome some would call it. I removed all grains from his diet....(he was already generally gluten free) within a few weeks all tics were gone and the recurring stutter he's had his whole life was gone along with his bloated belly. It was amazing! Gluten free is just not enough for some of these kiddies with gut issues....grain free was definitely a turning point. Plus all grains feed candida and parasites. I do have issues with die off though....mostly unpleasant behavior is the fall out, but it is easy to see the discomfort prompting it.

Good luck....its not easy being that "wacky family" that does all the weird stuff :)

10. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Have you checked eatwild.com for local sources of grass-fed bones?

11. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Wow cantweight, what a great success! Congrats for taking the bull by the horns!

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I buy veal bones. It is not as good as grassfed but hopefully better than beef.

13. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Have you contacted you local Weston A Price Foundation
    leader? They will be able to help with local sources of nourishing traditional foods. I know that there has been legal problems with Rawsome and Victoria Bloch so maybe other contact would be better:

http://www.westonaprice.org/local-chapters/find-local-chapter#ca

Los Angeles-West & Santa Monica: Victoria Bloch (310) 447-4527, victoria@wisetraditions-la.com & Shirley Scheker-Young Shirley@wisetraditions-la.com, http://www.meetup/Los-Angeles-Whole-Food-Nutrition-Meetup-Group/

The best way to get bones is to buy the whole animal and get a butcher to process the meat the way you like it. Get everything from the butcher even the cuts of meat you don't know how to cook. Here are some suggestions:

http://www.eatkamloops.org/weston-a-price-foundation-shopping-guide-for-canada/

http://www.eatkamloops.org/where-to-start-limited-time-and-budget/