1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

HDL Hack Suggestion

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Valuation Man, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Valuation Man

Valuation Man New Member

Jack,

I discovered you in the spring of 2016 and I am very grateful for your work and how much better I am feeling and functioning since spending a ton of time listening to podcasts, reading your book and blogs. I am in the sun daily, grounding, sleeping on magnetico, eliminating indoor blue light exposure and daily DHA.

Just got my labs from my annual physical last night and my doctor is concerned about my lipid profile and wants me to go back on Statins (no way!). I am 56 (6' 1" - 195lbs) and my HDL levels have never exceeded 40 and I do have hypothyroidism and I am taking is 75 mcg of Synthroid (TSH is 1.1) and I am not sure if this is causing the low HDL.

My Lipid profile from yesterday was:
    -TC - 280
    -LDL -201
    -HDL - 37
    -Trig - 215
    Vit D - 38
    Glucose -85

The good news from my labs since following the protocols was that my BUN/CR ratio was 10.5, my T levels increased and everything else is in range. The bad news is my Lipid profile and my doctor insisting on Statins and was only willing to measure my TSH level and no other thyroid bio markers. He will not consider any meds but synthroid to treat Hypothyroidism.

Are there any hacks that I can do to raise HDL - lower Trig? I am considering increasing Niacin to 3,000 mg from 500, increasing intensity of HIIT training and drinking more Malbec. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Tim

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Large does of sunlight and low amounts of carbs lower TG and raise HDL. Remember because light's effects are non linear so will be the response in your labs. It does not happen as fast as you want it too. Just continue going.

3. Valuation Man

Valuation Man New Member

Thanks Jack.

Would it make sense to add some Niaspan to see if there is improvement?

I also believe I heard Reuben say he had a similar issue and improved it with his light wand and the Quantlet. Maybe something I should look into especially when the quantum yield lowers here in Ohio in the fall and winter.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you google my name niacin and methylene blue you should see a lot of data covering this in past blogs

5. Valuation Man

Valuation Man New Member

I emailed my Dr. and told him that I was not going on a Statin and my planned bio-hack and could he RX Niaspan. His response below was very disappointing:

The medical literature in peer-reviewed, high-quality scientific medical journals is unequivocal. You should be on a statin as opposed to Niaspan. A statin plus fish oil would be ideal given your elevated triglycerides. Of course, you do not have to follow my advice. I do my best to practice evidence-based medicine rather than what is out there in the lay press or on the internet. If you do not feel comfortable, I would be glad to talk to you face-to-face and review the data. Niacin is associated with flushing, elevated liver enzymes, gout and gastritis to name a few side effects. Taken in pharmacologic doses, which is many times the physiological vitamin dose, niacin has to potentially be very toxic

My planned hack is in addition to increasing quantum yield is:

1) Diet where only saturated fat is fish and whey shakes- vegis, fruits and nuts for rest of diet.
    2) Drink only water, wine and coffee
    3) Increase HIIT Training
    4) High dose Niacin

Will retest in about a month to see if there is any progress.

6. Would avoid Niaspan as that is timed released and chronic use can increase your risk of chemical hepatitis. Would use regular inexpensive niacin and build up your doses slowly to limit the flush reaction. You could also add D ribose with the niacin which should increase nicotinamide riboside that was developed by David Sinclair which in turn increases NAD+ an important metabolic signaling molecule.

Pebbles, Toby King, mamadell and 2 others like this.
  7. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Solaray makes 100 MG capsules of niacin that are easy to titrate up with.

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

You talked about this in your podcast with Ben Greenfield.

Welcome!

9. JMO

JMO Silver

Getting rid of carbs lowered trigs drastically for us.

NaturalHealthForLife likes this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

[ quote="Valuation Man, post: 200176, member: 19094"]Jack,

I discovered you in the spring of 2016 and I am very grateful for your work and how much better I am feeling and functioning since spending a ton of time listening to podcasts, reading your book and blogs. I am in the sun daily, grounding, sleeping on magnetico, eliminating indoor blue light exposure and daily DHA.

Just got my labs from my annual physical last night and my doctor is concerned about my lipid profile and wants me to go back on Statins (no way!). I am 56 (6' 1" - 195lbs) and my HDL levels have never exceeded 40 and I do have hypothyroidism and I am taking is 75 mcg of Synthroid (TSH is 1.1) and I am not sure if this is causing the low HDL.

My Lipid profile from yesterday was:
    -TC - 280
    -LDL -201
    -HDL - 37
    -Trig - 215
    Vit D - 38
    Glucose -85

The good news from my labs since following the protocols was that my BUN/CR ratio was 10.5, my T levels increased and everything else is in range. The bad news is my Lipid profile and my doctor insisting on Statins and was only willing to measure my TSH level and no other thyroid bio markers. He will not consider any meds but synthroid to treat Hypothyroidism.

Are there any hacks that I can do to raise HDL - lower Trig? I am considering increasing Niacin to 3,000 mg from 500, increasing intensity of HIIT training and drinking more Malbec. Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Tim[/quote]

Good idea to not to take stating.
    Why are you taking Synthroid=T4 ?

-----
    I am 76 yo, this are my goals

Good Circadian rhythm
    Vitamin D (25-Hydroxyvitamin D)(250nmol/L=100.16ng/mL)
    Growth Hormone Panel
    Steroid Hormone Panel (plus cortisolAM,serun in upper 1/4 of laboratory range)
    Thyroid Hormone Panel (plus FreeT3= (3.5-4.2) pg/mL)
    Diet and supplement adjustments per Spectracell Micronutrient Analysis
    and
    fatty acid analysis (LabCorp or Mayo Clinic)
    Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum
    50mg iodine/iodide/day (one dropper full)(0.8cc) Lugol's solution
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWM4J84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/pg-e2-ratio.6427/

On your Spectracell Micronutrient Analysis report
    look up (graphs) of your Vit B3 and Inositol
    note
    that
    B3=niacin (flush)
    B3+Inositol = no-flush niacin

If you need B3=niacin and inositol use no-flush niacin, that should save you the daily flushing

OTOH, do not over-supplement, B3 or anything else, that is not helpfull

//

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  11. Your labs suggest you are not getting enough UVB exposure. Remember vitamin D is merely a maker for UVB exposure which is why I have not taken oral vitamin D supplements for 8 years. You need to raise your D from the sun. You need to get up to 50. Fasting triglycerides in the 200s means you still have insulin resistance. So you need to get into nutritional ketosis. Read Jack's book and/or view my site for details on how to do that www.cronometer.com/mercola is a very helpful free nutrient tracker

Personally would also add AM infrared sauna 2-4 times a week and gradually increase your niacin to 5000 mg with 15,000 mg of D ribose. Take that 30 minutes before you go into the sauna. This will help eliminate toxins and structure your intracellular water.

12. Valuation Man

Valuation Man New Member

Thank you Dr. Mercola for your thoughts and I will look into your suggestions. I listen to one of your podcast about D ribose and have been taking it but only 2 mg and it appears I need to elevate that. I have a couple other questions:

1) I am up to 1,500 mg of niacin and flush does not bother me. Is your 5000 mg a divided dose recommendation? If so, how to do that.

2) Does the sauna have to be infrared? I belong to a club with a sauna but I do not think it is infrared. Would that be beneficial to use that until I can figure out how to get access or buy an infrared sauna?

Thank you

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Dr. Mercola
    Speaking of insulin resistance,
    do you have any particular goal for fasting insulin?
    I think that anything in vicinity of
    equal or less than 5uU/mL
    should be desirable.

/

14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Dr. Mercola

good point

vitamin D is merely a maker for UVB exposure
    (need to get up to 50)

do you have different desirable numbers for
    end of winter
    end of summer
    or the 50 is a minimum?

what units?

Vitamin D (25-Hydroxyvitamin D)(250nmol/L=100.16ng/mL)

http://rayminder.org/index.html
    [​IMG]

15. 5000 mg is a one time dose but to tolerance

Infrared is best, especially low EMF and full spectrum but regular is better than nothing

I like insulin levels below 3 and preferably below 2

JanSz and Valuation Man like this.
  16. Valuation Man

Valuation Man New Member

I just got back my labs on my Lipid panel and was trying to increase my HDL, lower my LDL and Trig by the following:

1) Increased Sun and grounding
    2) Epi-Paleo Diet
    3) Increased daily Niacin - Now at 2,500 mg
    4) Hiit Training

Two months later, my HDL went from 37 to 41 - not a large increase but the first time I ever broke 40 in my life. My Vit D level increased slightly from 38 to 40. My Trig lowered from 215 to 172. LDL went from 201 to 192. My CRP was .6 and first time I ever tested below 1.5.

My plan for further improvement is to:
    1) Keep increasing Niacin up to 5,000 mg.
    2) Buying Infrared Sauna this weekend and use this with CT
    3) Lower carb level further
    4) Figure out how to get UVB now that it is not available in Ohio
    5) Hiring a real estate agent to move away for TV/Radio/Cell Tower and population density near my home

Thanks to all that provided some insight for me on this. I am a little disappointed that I did not see a bigger change but happy it is going in right direction.

Dean6789 and Danco3636 like this.
  17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

to help detect inflammation associated with conditions such as infections, cancers, and autoimmune diseases
    Sedimentation Rate, (ESR), Modified Westergren
    (ESR) Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate
    Test Number: 005215 CPT: 85652