1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

HDL and leaky gut

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by optimus prime, Apr 7, 2012.

1. optimus prime

optimus prime New Member

Hi! Wondering if you have to have low HDL to have leaky gut. Dr. Kruse says "...and if your gut is leaky as shown by a low HDL level." (http://jackkruse.com/hormone-cascade-101/)

I have a 107 HDL, 173 LDL, and I am not responding to my Vitamin D supplements. I assumed that I had a leaky gut issue...but now I don't know!

Thanks!

2. You can have a nice HDL number and still have leaky gut. Ask MamaGrok!

I suspect there is other stuff going on that may be revealed in other labs. I had to start using an emulsified formula which is a common problem for autoimmune conditions. I'm getting testing next Tuesday so I will know for sure quantitatively. I could tell an increase in energy when I started it. I use Biotics D Mulsion and have for about 6 months now. Maybe something to look at...

3. LinD

LinD New Member

That's interesting. While I know it can be higher, October bloodwork has me at 89 HDL... And I have MS. No grains or legumes since November 2011 (if not before--I forget).

I tried to get my neuro to run some of the suggested labs, but it was a no go. :-( Guess I need to work on WHY I need these or find another doc in United Healthcare health insurance plan who will. I looked up John (Jack) Kruse (TN) and he's on there!

Dr. K... Please?

4. Owl

Owl New Member

Optimus, are you taking Vit D3? And most of us took 10,000iu/day for 3 to 6 months to get our numbers up. Some people took way more than that, because they didn't absorb it, or their bodies used up a huge amount. It's fat soluble, so you need to take it with a meal with fat.

5. optimus prime

optimus prime New Member

I've been taking 5,000 a day for 2 months. My D has been in the 30s and 40s for 3 years now. No idea what it was before that.

6. Make sure you are taking an oil-based D3. You will not absorb it without the oil. If you don't have an oil-based D3 you can take it with olive oil. My level was 32 prior to starting D3. I was on 10,000 IU for over two years. The last time I tested my level was 76. I also read on Dr. Davis' blog that the longer you take D3 the less you have to take. I went down to 5,000 IU recently and will test again soon to see how I'm doing.

--Steph

7. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Also do not take D3 the same time you take magnesium because they compete for absorption.

8. optimus prime

optimus prime New Member

Wow, nice progress! Curious if you've noticed your body feeling different with higher D. Do you have more energy? Are you losing weight more easily (if weight is an issue).

My supplement is olive oil based, plus I take it right after breakfast.

9. optimus prime

optimus prime New Member

Thank you, I didn't know that! Good thing I take my magnesium at night. :)

10. chasee33

chasee33 Silver

Blue Bonnet has a nice vitamin D3 supplement mixed with Medium Chain Triglycerides and oils like lemon that works nicely. I found it at Whole Foods.

11. BenG

BenG New Member

You typically get 1 ng/dl for every 100iu you take. I'd double yours to 10,000 IU per day. Even the Vitamin D council says that amount is safe. I was taking 20,000 IU a day for 3 months and got mine up fron 7ng/dl to 83 ng/dl, but if you are heavy, you need double to bring up levels. Dr. Kruse likes it between 70-100 ng/dl

12. I didn't feel noticeably better when my D levels went up, but I had sever adrenal fatigue, which I've been trying to heal over the last two years. Also no weight loss with improved D levels, but that's because I was leptin resistant and wasn't able to exercise because of the AF. I'm also hypothyroid. Anyway, I'm sure that getting my D level up is helping with all the issues, but I definitely didn't have any noticeable improvement. It did possibly help with mood, but that's hard to judge since I've also done a lot to improve hormones.