1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

HC, DHEA Pregnenolone

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by vkiernan, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

jana just wait til you read the blog on June 30th.......its right up your alley

2. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

Sorry to be away so long!

I'd take the Candex by itself, away from any proteins, including Seacure, but give it longer than 30 min. if possible, or you can take it 3 + hours after breakfast and again when you go to sleep. It really works best taken by itself! The others can be taken with your BAB if you like.

3. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I bet you do need it! Excessive REM and waking is hard on the body. You should def. look into acupuncture or at least the Gui Pi Tang formula. It does seem to help the dreaming thing. There is another remedy for frequent waking (can't remember what it's called).

I think I'm going to download The Effortless Sleep Method, which includes some MP3's that help to increase SMR brainwaves, which insomniacs tend to not make enough of. I've hit a patch where, due to poor sleep hygiene (my fault) and seemingly mysterious reasons, my sleep has been really hit or miss. First, I had a hard time falling asleep, but could stay asleep for 9 hours, no problem. Now, I'm waking almost every day after only 4.5-6 hours of sleep and sometimes I can fall back asleep, but sometimes I can't :(

4. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks and welcome back. I decided to hold off on the candex cuz I am going to do the gi effects test and don't want to stop a protocol in the middle. I will start it as soon as I am done with the test. How long do I need to take the seacure? Does the cat's claw go with the seacure or the candex? Thanks again Hazy. Really appreciate your time.

5. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

The cat's claw kind of goes with both: it boosts the immune system to help it fight candida and keep it in check and it also supposedly has some gut healing properties, as well as strong anti-inflammatory properties (a lot of people with autoimmune disease or Lyme use it). I'd stay on Sea Cure for at least two months to really give your gut time to heal.

6. janagram

janagram New Member

Thanks, hazyjane....yeah, I sleep like that last bit. Good tips and good luck to you with sleep, also.

7. Llanabanana

Llanabanana New Member

Hi, hazy you have been great a helping some of us.

I just have a quick question, I just picked up some DHEA, 7 keto, what kind of dose should I start with? Are there any symptoms that I will notice right off the bat?

Thanks

8. I recently had some labs done. I am very low on DHEA and have been supplementing with 7Keto. I tried regular DHEA but it gave me terrible acne. My labs today showed that my testosterone is high, barely, but range is 2-45 and i am at 46. I had been deficient in testosterone for the past year. My doc says that the 7Keto is converting into testosterone. While it's great that my testosterone level is up to normal, any suggestions as to how to raise my DHEA without making too much testosterone? I did ask for some topical DHEA and will see if that helps,but I really need to raise my DHEA significantly.. any thoughts??? :)

9. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Hmmm, I thought 7-keto didnt convert to T??? Guess I have to do a little more reading.

10. I didnt realize that this would happen. she never mentioned it. so i'm sort of throwing this out there to see if anyone else has had this problem as well

11. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I also thought that CT raised aMSH and DHEA. I could be wrong as my brain has been a little foggy and seems to be mixing things up lately. It is in one of the CT blogs. I will look and let you know what I find by copying the info here. LEF.org has some info on 7-keto. I will take a look there too to see what it says.

12. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Danielle, the following is from LEF.ORG

Among DHEA's many metabolites, one has attracted significant attention for its unique ability to lower cholesterol, burn fat, and improve the immune system. This metabolite, known at 7-Keto DHEA, is not converted into estrogen or testosterone, so it may be safely used among people with hormone-dependent diseases, including cancer.

Scientific studies have shown that 7-Keto can help people burn fat through a process known as “thermogenesis.â€￾ This means the body's metabolic rate is accelerated, generating heat and energy that consumes calories and burns fat. 7-Keto accomplishes this by boosting the levels of liver enzymes that stimulate fatty acid oxidation.

In one study of 30 overweight adults, study subjects received 100mg of 7-Keto twice daily or placebo. They also participated in a supervised exercise and diet program. At the end of the study, those taking 7-Keto lost 6.3 pounds on average, versus 2.1 pounds for the control group (Kalman 2000).

7-Keto has also been studied for its immune-boosting and cholesterol-lowering properties. In a study on cholesterol levels, human volunteers applied a gel containing 25mg of 7-Keto for five consecutive days. At the end of the study, the subjects taking 7-Keto experienced a rise in good HDL cholesterol and a slight reduction in harmful LDL cholesterol (Sulcova 2001).

Another study looking at immune function found that four weeks of 7-Keto supplementation improved immune function in elderly men and women. In this study, subjects over age 65 took 100mg of 7-Keto twice daily or placebo. The subjects on 7-Keto experienced a significant decrease in immune suppressor cells and an increase in immune helper cells (Zenk 2004).

Because 7-Keto is not converted into estrogen or testosterone, it may be the perfect complement to DHEA therapy, as well as providing an option for people who have hormone dependent cancers. In some women, high doses of DHEA may cause the growth of unwanted hair or acne. By adding 7-Keto to a daily program, it may be possible to lower the dosage of DHEA.

Because of the overwhelming evidence connecting low levels of DHEA to the degenerative diseases of aging, Life Extension suggests that all people over age 40 begin DHEA therapy. For most people, the starting dose of DHEA is between 15-75 mg, taken in one daily dose. Many studies have used a daily dose of 50 mg. One recent study showed that doses under 30 mg were not enough to significantly support blood levels of DHEA in young adults (Cameron 2005).

Ideally, DHEA replacement therapy should begin with blood testing to establish a base range. Since almost everyone over age 35-40 has lower than optimal levels of DHEA, most people begin supplementation and test their blood DHEA levels later to make sure they are taking the proper dose. Normal serum reference ranges and ideal ranges of DHEA-S are:

Normal

(depending on age)

Ideal

Men

16.2-492 μg/dL

350-490 μg/dL

Women

12-407 μg/dL

275-400 μg/dL

After 3 to 6 weeks, another test is recommended to measure serum DHEA. All individuals react differently to DHEA replacement therapy, so it's a good idea to closely monitor your blood levels and side effects. If side effects appear, it may be possible to add 7-Keto DHEA and reduce the dose of DHEA.

Those with compromised liver health should use DHEA sublingual tablets, which bypass liver metabolism. Otherwise, capsules containing the more common micronized DHEA are quite effective in restoring DHEA to youthful ranges.

13. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

You don't have a bit of PCOS going on do you? Did you test your T prior and know that it rose when taking the DHEA? This might be an ask Jack question to see if 7-keto can raise T.

14. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Concur w/what VK posted. 7keto doesnt convert. Totally off topic but is it possible you might have PCOS? Women who have PCOS have estrogen dominance along w/High Teststerone that verges toward T dominance as well. My T even before supplementation w/both 7 Keto & regular DHEA was always ABOVE the top end of the range. Once your DHEA & Pg:E2 ratio gets fixed that high T will help body comp.

The other thing it could indicate is your hormones are starting to get back on track.

15. Wondering about this as well. Doc's office called and said my testosterone was high, I ask them to fax everything over - it was supposed to be a full thyroid panel! I've been doing DHEA for 3 weeks, and T didn't come up as high on a prior test (I think?)

I'm thinking I need to do some kind of spreadsheet to track trends. Anybody doing this?

Any advice on what a high-T could mean?

16. Am I the only one who thought Testosterone was supposed to be in the range of 60-70? I need to look that up.

17. Just looked in Dzugan's book and his chart states that optimal T for women is 60-76 ng/dL. So don't know if you are really high or heading to optimal???

18. 2bls

2bls New Member

Hello everyone, I'm sorry I'm late to the party but you all seem very knowledgeable about Preg & prog in relation to ED and high T resulting from PCOS. I'm setting up an appt to get saliva testing for hormone panel & cortisol but would like opinions on whether preg & prog would make PCOS -ED+high T worse or would these help to reverse the suboptimal numbers? I wasn't able to read the entire thread, (going back to it now). Should I mention the preg & prog at the appt or leave it up to the NP doing the testing to make the suggestion? I'm totally scared to even think about DHEA because I know it would make high T even worse. I read years ago that female T should be in the 20-25 range(Canada)...am I completely wrong about that? I also read somewhere recently that milk thistle(silymarin) raises prolactin levels which can cause breast pain....I try to avoid it but it is in my D-glucarate supplement that I take to detoxify estrogens....

19. Ok, been waiting for them to fax over all the reports! I hope the whole panel is there. Geeeze, FAX IT ALREADY.

tap tap tap

tap tap tap

tap tap tap

When someone says they are going to do something, THEY SHOULD DO IT! NOW!

20. hehe perhaps that's the testosterone talking.